Tony Snub Gripe Thread

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#0Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:06am

Ok, guys,
who didn't get/whine whine whine/you know the drill.
I'll start.
Total depression over Lauren Molina.
Also surprised Cherry Jones was overlooked.

beacon1
#1re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:07am

though I was alone in my hopes...no nod for Patrick Wilson's hysterical performance in "Barefoot in the Park"...

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

richs52 Profile Photo
richs52
#2re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:07am

I would have liked to see Cyndi Lauper get a nom....

MadelineKahnFan Profile Photo
MadelineKahnFan
#3re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:08am

How can they leave out Cyndi Lauper.

BSoBW2
#4re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:09am

I am so pissed off I could eat a cow!

It's time to Verfremdungsffekt the Tony committee.

Carolee Carmello? NO Cyndi?

That's the biggest piece of monkey **** I have heard!

The Tony committee must be smoking some major wizzle.

At least I can support my two TCP girls!

GRUMBLEGRUMBLE

This isn't over American Theatre Wing. Not by a long shot.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#5re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:09am

Maria Friedman anyone?

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:10am

Watch out...Cyndi's from Queens...she'll cut ya!

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

neddyfrank2
#7re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Tarzan...for everything.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

BSo you back off on Carolee!

I love Lauper, but she hasn't gotten a single nomination all season. Is this really that big of a shock?

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#9re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

I'm kind of miffed that Pablo Schreiber took what would have seemingly been Dominic Cooper's spot. Grrr.

Oh well, I'm glad Domhnall Gleeson got in there for Inishmore, so I guess that's something.

I also would have liked to have seen Lauren Molina get a nomination.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

kaboodles041 Profile Photo
kaboodles041
#10re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Julia Roberts! She got such great reviews. Just kidding :)

Arghh! Grammar pet peeve #1: your vs you're. "Your" is a possessive pronoun. "You're" is the contraction of "you are." <<

iluvtheatertrash
#11re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Really pissed that Chita got a nomination for playing herself whereas Laura Benanti and Maria Friedman got snubbed.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#12re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:11am

It's a real shame she was snubbed, especially since her reviews were, I think, pretty nice. Remember early in the year when it was going to be Patti vs. Maria? LaChanze was an afterthought.
Now it seems to be Patti vs. LaScreamz.
If Woman in White were still running, Maria would be in there.

BSoBW2
#13re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:11am

I've always been all for LaChanze.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#14re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:12am

Well, Trash, we can debate the idiocy of placing Chita's show in the musical category until the cows come home but it's over and done. Chita could show up and break her hip onstage every night and still score a nom. But then, she'd do that with better flair and showmanship than most "stars" today.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

While she's improved, I'd hardly call Benanti's work in Wedding Singer "Tony worthy".

And I can't believe that awful book got a nom. The score I can deal with, it's enjoyable, but that book? Clearly filler in an awful season for new books.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#16re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread

Yea but Bobby...wasn't Mano overlooked by the other awards as well?

I was kind of hoping the TONY committee would be smarter and nominate Cyndi as they did with Mano.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 5/16/06 at 09:12 AM

philcrosby
#17re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:13am

Considering Chita Rivera is a living legend and this may be the last time the committee has to nominate her, I am not surprised at all.

I think the ONLY surprise is that Bob Crowley got nominated for designing HISTORY BOYS and not for TARZAN.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#18re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:15am

I really liked Crowley's design for HB, but I can't believe he was nominated for it. As was discussed here a day or two ago, can you award a show's sets that obstruct so many seats?!?!? It really is poorly designed for that theater.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

iluvtheatertrash
#19re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:17am

And Amy Spanger snubbed? Really messed up.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Crazy_for_the_Q Profile Photo
Crazy_for_the_Q
#20re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:19am

Over all, I'm really happy with the noms but I think that Amy Spanger and/or Felicia Finnely should have gotten something, as well as Cyndi Lauper. Though all the nominations that are there are great and deserved, I just wish there was more room for Cyndi, Amy and Felicia

I thought Bradley Cooper deserved a nomination as well.
I think Dominic Cooper derseved a nomination.
And I personally really like the costumes in The Wedding Singer and was hoping for them to get a best costume nom.

But I'm still pretty happy with the nominations.

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#21re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:21am

Here's my gripe, was it really that "annorexic" a year that they gave so many nominations to that trash, Wedding Singer? Really, SCORE?! I'm always mildly disgusted with who they forget, this is one of the only times I'm more angry about who they felt the need to reward, unecessarily, over and over again. Stephen Lynch was as interesting and worthy as wall paper.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#22re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:24am

Wedding Singer, best book?! That is the most outragous nom. to me!

Would've loved to see Molina or Lauper get the nom instead of Carolee. Actually would rather see several actresses nommed over her including Fisher/Finley/Spanger/Paice/etc.

Very glad for Dixon's nom. A great surprise. He was wonderful.

Benanti didnt deserve a nomination here, and the oddity of putting Chita's show in the musical category makes her nom not a surprise.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#23re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:25am

I couldn't agree with you more Rup. Wedding Singer is awful and no matter how many nod's it gets, it's not going to make it good. It just proves how political this whole process really is. I'm not "surprised" about O'Hara, I just don't get her and never will. And this is the second time Spanger has been snubbed by the Tony Committee. She must feel awful right now, especially after all the hype.

PJ
#24re: Tony Snub Gripe Thread
Posted: 5/16/06 at 9:26am

I'm disappointed that Ana Gasteyer didn't get a nod. Of all the ladies from 3PO, I figured she'd be the one to make the cut.

Also, no Daniel Reichard for Featured Actor in a Musical.

Videos