pixeltracker

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?- Page 6

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#125re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 7:10pm

I just don't get why you are so damn negative. Jesus. The show isn't even cast yet.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#126re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 7:30pm

Pgenre,
I'm assuming that you meant that Boyd Gaines should play Fredrik and not Henrik...Boyd as Henrik doesn't work no matter who directs it :)
I would probably like him as Fredrik, but I prefer for Patti to sit this one out.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#127re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 7:39pm

Yes, Gaines as Frederick would be wonderful.

And ljay, as I have said before, my posts are intended for everyone on this board BUT you and I'm sure there is some way you can block my messages so they won't continue to ENLESSLY irritate you are they do... but then again, I guess we both are intimately aware of endless irritation on the part of the other. Kisses.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#128re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 7:47pm

I definitely agree with Boyd Gaines as Fredrik. Boyd Gaines can only perform in a 3 piece suit or time period equivalent, so it'd be perfect.

I also don't think Patti LuPone should be in this one. I love her (shocker), and do actually think she could play the role incredibly well. She's just not right for the role.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#129re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 7:52pm

Boyd is too old for Frederick. From what I am hearing, one of the men up for Frederick is only 40 years old.

Although Len Cariou was 34/35 when he originated the role, more recently the role has been played by 50-60 year olds.

Brick
#130re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 9:15pm

I hope Hannah doesn't come to be, as well. I don't care how wonderful she was. We've waited a long time fort his revival, it has a major musical theatre part in it, and I'd like to see a major theatre star in it.

I know this wasn't a popular opinion, but I felt there were New York actors who could have done the work the leads did in SUNDAY. And they deserve a shot.

If only Annette Benning could sing. I've always wanted to see her play Desiree.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#131re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 9:23pm

I agree completely.

While Waddingham may be a sensational Desiree, she's certainly not "uniquely qualified" enough to justify being brought over with the production.

American Equity should be leery of just how many situations like this they approve. Whether they intend to or not, they're starting to establish a precedent to producers that's robbing qualified American performers of the opportunity to play plum roles.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#132re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:38pm

I agree with you guys. As I said earlier on the thread, I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow one of the many American actresses who would be terrific as Desiree to play the part. I'm sure that just between the bunch of us we could come up with 20 American actresses in the 35-40 age range and plenty of stage credit and with enough talent to do the role more than justice. I mean, I've heard great things about Waddingham but I doubt she's Christine-Ebersole-in-GREY-GARDENS good in such a way that Equity should allow her to come over.
Bricks, while I adored Daniel Evans in the role, I too agree that there are American actors (Neil Patrick Harris and Jane Krakowski come to mind) who would have done as good of a job in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE as Evans and Russell did.
Desiree is not written for a good singer, if Benning was in the "right" age range and if she were interested in returning to the stage (she dropped out of her most recently-announced Broadway venture, though not sure if it was because of her deciding not to do stage work), she'd be great in the part.
I also thought of Boyd Gaines as Fredrick, in a typical revival he'd probably be at the top of the list, not in this one.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 6/16/09 at 10:38 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#133re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:51pm

Bricks, while I adored Daniel Evans in the role, I too agree that American actors (Neil Patrick Harris and Jane Krakowski come to mind) who would have done as good of a job in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE as Evans and Russell did.

Is that a joke? Really? Neil Patrick Harris? I think even HE would laugh at the very idea that he could play George. And I lobe Neil Patrick Harris. But, George? REALLY?

And Jane? She plays every role exactly the same, and I have no desire to see Dot played as a sultry sexpot.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#134re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 10:55pm

K.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

givesmevoice
#135re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/15/09 at 11:23pm

ray, great comment.

re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Brick
#136re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:03am

Agreed, ray.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#137re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 4:35am

Adamgreer, thank you! Might I add to our shared opinion of Krakowski that I find her to be completely obnoxious and off-putting. Quite overrated.

Does anyone have an idea of when the casting will be announced. I am as anxious as anyone to find out.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#138re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 12:23pm

I am hoping we find out within the next couple weeks. I am extremely anxious as well.

somethingwicked
#139re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 12:45pm

Considering we know at least one principal offer has gone out for Henrik, things should start to be finalized soon.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#140re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 2:58pm

"Is it even LOGICAL that a 22-year-old Henrik could be practicing law in turn-of-the-century Sweden?"

A redundant question since Henrik is studying theology (at a seminary) and reading Martin Luther not Martin Luther King.

And most theology graduates I know finished when they were 21.

(and then had to start deciding what to do with their lives blah, blah, blah.)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#141re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:05pm

^ I was going to say....since when is Henrik practicing law?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#142re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:16pm

Would it be too much to ask for Laura Linney to be cast as Desiree?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#143re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:22pm

I think Laura is quite talented, but I don't think she would be able to do the part.

At this point is it unlikely that Angela will be cast? I would think there would be real talks of it by now beyond our message board.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ray-andallthatjazz86
#144re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:33pm

Madbrian, a couple days ago THE NANNY DIARIES came on Showtime and I thought that Laura Linney would be pure perfection as Desiree. In fact, along with Toni Collette, there's no one I'd want to see more in the part than her. I think she'd be brilliant, she's funny, elegant, a wonderful actress, knows how to carry a show on stage, and it's good in both period pieces and modern stuff. Someone get her on the phone quickly.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#145re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:35pm

^ I just don't see Laura in it, but I love the idea of Toni Collette. There's little the woman the can't handle.

givesmevoice
#146re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:45pm

I feel like a little kid when I read this thread. every time someone makes a casting suggestion, I'm like "Oh! That's an AMAZING idea!"

this is how I wind up with a dozen people I want to see in a role.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#147re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 3:54pm

I absolutely LOVED Jenna Russel and Daniel Evans in Sunday! I would not have cast it any other way. Together they were perfection. Neil Patrick Harris (as hilarious as he is) and Jane Krakowski would not have come close!

somethingwicked
#148re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 5:18pm

Rachel York, who is as poised as she is stunningly gorgeous, would be a magnificent Desiree.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#149re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC takes the Kerr?
Posted: 6/16/09 at 5:33pm

Hopefully the announcement will be pretty soon, now that Irena's Vow announced its closing.

Videos