pixeltracker

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour - Page 7

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour

bubbleandfoam
#150The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/15/23 at 3:50pm

On the website, it looks like the only one yet to be cast is Addaperle. They've already announced Dorothy, and I don't think they'd cut Addaperle as a character... so what do y'all think is being done with respect to that role? Will she be played by a performer already in the production, like with Aunt Em/Evillene? Or will Glinda show up at the beginning and end of Dorothy's journey, like in the 1939 movie?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#151The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/15/23 at 4:10pm

Bizarre that they don't have the full cast on the show's website yet.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BoringBoredBoard40
#152The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/15/23 at 4:26pm

I can't believe we are finally getting a revival of this show and there are no "names" in it besides Wayne Brady...I mean look at the Encores productions it was loaded. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#153The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/15/23 at 4:28pm

I can't wait for this. Hoping this turns out to be a good production. I love Deborah Cox, but her last two shows (The Bodyguard and Jekyll & Hyde) weren't great.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#154The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/15/23 at 5:18pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I can't wait for this. Hoping this turns out to be a good production. I love Deborah Cox, but her last two shows (The Bodyguard and Jekyll & Hyde) weren't great."

She was an amazing Aida. However, The Bodyguard had a terrible script plus Jekyll and Hyde had a terrible director.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#155The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/15/23 at 5:42pm

ACL2006 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "I can't wait for this. Hoping this turns out to be a good production. I love Deborah Cox, but her last two shows (The Bodyguard and Jekyll & Hyde) weren't great."

She was an amazing Aida. However, The Bodyguard had a terrible script plus Jekyll and Hyde had a terrible director.
"

I just went and looked and the last show we worked on Bway on was Jekyll & Hyde in 2013???? Looked like he did His Story down in Texas recently ish but I mean

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

LaVieBoheme Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme
#156The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/19/23 at 11:40am

ACL2006 said: "Bizarre that they don't have the full cast on the show's website yet."

The only part they don't have is Addaperle. Not sure what they're doing about that. 

silent
#157The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 8/19/23 at 7:07pm

The Bodyguard script was based on the film. Lol. 

I wish the Wiz was going straight to Broadway instead of this tour. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#158The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/1/23 at 3:38pm

Paul Wontorek posted a video of him talking about the new production of The Wiz in front of the Majestic Theatre.  I know the original production played there, but could he be hinting that it will be returning?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#159The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/1/23 at 4:30pm

Broadway Flash said: "Paul Wontorek posted a video of him talking about the new production of The Wiz in front of the Majestic Theatre. I know the original production played there, but could he be hinting that it will be returning?"

I know there was a rumor about that when Phantom finally closed, however, I’m not sure how much renovation they are going to do to the theatre since it hasn’t been vacant since 1988. Each time I pass there, it looks like they’re still removing remnants of Phantom. But then again, if they can flip the Broadway for HLL or the August Wilson for CABARET in under 6 months, then fixing up the Majestic is entirely possible.

To be honest, I think the Majestic may go the way of the Marquis and become a flop house, since it has a super large capacity and the rear mezzanine feels like a mile from the stage. Only a HUGE musical would work there and it seems the HUGE musical is currently on a hiatus 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

MiserablyWicked1
#160The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/20/23 at 4:25pm

Very excited for this and just bought Tickets for San Francisco Pre Broadway engagement that will have full Broadway cast with Wayne Brady stepping in as the Wizard!

LaVieBoheme
#161The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/20/23 at 11:41pm

With the show starting this week or next, I hope people come back here to report. I'm really dying to know what they do with the Addaperle character. I really hope they didn't cut her because I love her song! 

Updated On: 9/21/23 at 11:41 PM

sarcadam88
#162The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/21/23 at 10:03am

Perhaps they’re saving up a Stephanie Mills announcement? (Grasping at straws here.) 

LaVieBoheme
#163The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/23/23 at 10:18am

Today's the day!!! I can't wait to hear what ppl think. I hope people come back here to report. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#164The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 4:26am

LaVieBoheme said: "With the show starting this week or next, I hope people come back here to report. I'm really dying to know what they do with the Addaperle character. I really hope they didn't cut her because I love her song!"

Allyson (ensemble) played Adda last night 

LaVieBoheme
#165The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 9:20am

WldKingdomHM said: "LaVieBoheme said: "With the show starting this week or next, I hope people come back here to report. I'm really dying to know what they do with the Addaperle character. I really hope they didn't cut her because I love her song!"

"

Yes, but I also heard that they gave her song to Glinda though. How was that, did it seem weird?

WldKingdomHM
#166The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 9:43am

LaVieBoheme said: "WldKingdomHM said: "LaVieBoheme said: "With the show starting this week or next, I hope people come back here to report. I'm really dying to know what they do with the Addaperle character. I really hope they didn't cut her because I love her song!"

"

Yes, but I also heard that they gave her song to Glinda though. How was that, did it seem weird?

Didnt see the show. Waiting for them to work out the kinks for Broadway. I asked someone on twitter. Btw the curtain call pics r up on insta. The costumes thou …

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
WldKingdomHM
#168The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 12:54pm

Not digging Evilenes costume 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#169The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 2:55pm

Does anyone know when single tickets for LA go on sale? Just subscriptions are available right now.  I hope to try to see this in March. 

BroadwayBen
#170The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 3:33pm

Quick report -- just out of matinee.  I love this show so I was eager to see what they were doing, and in a word:  INCREDIBLE!!!!!   It seems like it's ready for Broadway today!  The voices are amazing, the sets fantastic and Ruffin's take/story/jokes are hilarious.   The audience was in love with it.  You can tell they are still working on it (there's no real curtain call yet) but everything about it works.  The orchestrations and arrangements are beautiful and the choreography great.  The second act begins with a three part "Emerald City" dance that is jaw dropping.  The vocals on "Be a Lion" got a HUGE ovation, and some people stood after "No Bad News."    To answer a few questions, Addapearle is still in the show, but Glinda joins her to help Dorothy and they begin by dusting on "He's The Wiz" and then Deborah Cox sort of owns the rest and she is fantastic.   The cast is wonderful throughout and the Dorothy is going to be a major discovery.   It was very, very exciting...More later, after I study the program

LaVieBoheme
#171The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 3:43pm

BroadwayBen said: "Quick report -- just out of matinee. I love this show so I was eager to see what they were doing, and in a word: INCREDIBLE!!!!! It seems like it's ready for Broadway today! The voices are amazing, the sets fantastic and Ruffin's take/story/jokes are hilarious. The audience was in love with it. You can tell they are still working on it (there's no real curtain call yet) but everything about it works. The orchestrations and arrangements are beautiful and the choreography great. The second act begins with a three part "Emerald City" dance that is jaw dropping. The vocals on "Be a Lion" got a HUGE ovation, and some people stood after "No Bad News." To answer a few questions, Addapearle is still in the show, but Glinda joins her to help Dorothy and they begin by dusting on "He's The Wiz" and then Deborah Cox sort of owns the rest and she is fantastic. The cast is wonderful throughout and the Dorothy is going to be a major discovery. It was very, very exciting...More later, after I study the program"

Interesting, I'm really interested in seeing how that works in the show I really hope to see it in DC. Thanks for the report it's getting me even more excited! 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#172The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 4:10pm

What is the set like?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

theatrekidnerd
#173The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 5:19pm

Some photos of the show:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxlsr9upOXf/? utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Costumes are worrying me. I'm sure they will change before it gets to Broadway. Right now everything design-wise (specifically costumes & set) seems very low budget. 

v

Updated On: 9/24/23 at 05:19 PM

lopside
#174The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 9/24/23 at 5:24pm

The costumes have a very cheap look to them, when the one of the sketches released was so prominsing

Videos