pixeltracker

Dear Evan Hansen Previews- Page 9

Dear Evan Hansen Previews

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#200Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/29/16 at 8:30am

"When I think of a "jarring" shift in tone, I think of Martin McDonough (whose work I love, btw) not "Dear Evan Hansen."

And that's your opinion. Others might think of DEH. There is no right or wrong.

Updated On: 11/29/16 at 08:30 AM

neonlightsxo
#201Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/29/16 at 8:49am

"(unless you work for the FBI, of course, as they keep finding new emails) "

TBH, I don't know how they keep finding new emails either!

persephone88
#202Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/29/16 at 12:13pm

We saw DEH this past weekend, and we absolutely loved it. I'm a teacher who has taught kids all over the spectrum - mainstream kids, kids with Asperger's, kids with ED, ODD, depression, anxiety, etc. and I felt that Ben Platt gave an incredible performance. Evan was sort of an amalgamation of many of those kids I taught over the years. The first time I heard the song "Waving Through A Window", it reminded me a lot of a student I had who struggled with Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder, and how they expressed  feeling very much like an outsider / observer of their peers and being unable to find the right things to say to fit in. I think Evan actually works very well as a character because more kids are going to be able to see bits of themselves, or feelings they've had, in Evan, moreso than if he had been a straight line textbook case of one "diagnosis" or another. 

I did not expect but appreciated the moments of levity in the show that characters like Jared and even Connor brought to the story. No, Jared was not the same kind of fleshed out and layered character that Evan was,  but he brought some much needed humor to what was primarily a very heavy piece. And as previous posters have said, he represented one side of the typical teenaged boy who uses sarcasm and wit to deal with difficult subjects. Teens often present themselves to the bigger crowd as a particular "type" - the joker, the tough guy, etc. while keeping their truer selves a lot more under wraps or only shown to their closest friends. I didn't find the shift in tone to be jarring so much as welcome. The show is so heartbreaking in places - I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much without the periodic "light" moments.

So many of the songs were just beautiful - I can see "You Will Be Found" being used at high school retreats and events in the future. I even liked "To Break In A Glove", more for the chance to see Connor's dad begin to shed some light on their fractious relationship and to sense his wistfulness, that he wished he had been better able to bond with a son who had gone off the tracks. The one number that didn't quite work for me was "Good For You" - I felt like the eruption of anger from Evan's mom was a little much, even after the difficult visit with the Murphys.

Both my teens really loved the show and felt that it spoke to them, in different ways, and said it was a musical that a lot of their friends needed to see because it shone a light so well on how very alienated kids can feel even among their peers. I thought Benj Pasek and Justin Paul did a fantastic job with this show - poignant story, great music, and hopefully they and  the cast, particularly Ben Platt, will be recognized again when the Tonys come around this spring.

Nycat63
#203Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/29/16 at 12:33pm

Agree with Persephone 100%.  Just saw this with my teenage daughter and was completely gutted.  While I am not a teacher, I am the mother of a nearly 18 year old boy who is almost a combo of Evan and Connor.  I thought Ben Platt was out of this world.  And I did get "Good For You" as the parent of a child I can't completely reach and who blames us for how he feels.  He can be a completely delightful person with other people/families who don't have expectations or put limits on him while we have to actually "parent".  It's very easy and human to get resentful and I completely understood what Evan's mom was trying to convey.  The part that wrecked me the most was Zoe's part of "Requiem" - questioning why she should mourn the loss of a brother who tormented her (not to mention her anger that "everything is always about him).  I looked at my daughter and lost it.  And Connor's mom constantly trying to focus on his positive attributes and remind the rest of the family...even  as she clearly felt so much pain.  As a mother in somewhat similar shoes, I hope Rachel Bay Jones and Jennifer Laura Thompson get the credit they deserve for their performances as well.  

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#204Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 11/30/16 at 10:26am

Caught this last night and enjoyed and admired it - especially the performances of Ben Platt and Rachel Bay Jones who I think are likely to take home Tonys.  I wasn't as emotionally taken by it as many others seem to be (and there were indeed many crying in the theatre last night) and to be honest, in staging, tone, character and score it reminded me a LOT of Next to Normal (almost to the point of distraction).  But I can see why this show has its core fanbase and I suspect it will do very well. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Relevance81491
#205Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/1/16 at 2:43am

Judging by the response at today's matinee, I'm in the minority on this one 

Wanted  the show another chance because I was convinced I missed something 
when I saw it Off-Broadway.... I didn't 

DEH suffers from some major book problems (I cringed durring the Acorn joke, the Fiddler joke and at afiew other points) Additionally, the score is not P&Ps best work and often reminded me so much of Next to Normal that I have been discribing it to my friends as "Next to Normal Lite" 
Overal I would give the show a C because the book dose (sort of) come together in the end (atleast I wasn't cringing)

What makes me excited is that this will resonate with the teen demographic. Always good to have something that makes young people excited about the theatre (besides HAMILTON).

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#206Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/1/16 at 8:18am

I will preface my post by saying that I fell head over heels in love with this show at Second Stage. Last night I had the chance to see this show again on Broadway. I did not think it would be possible to fall any harder for this show than I did earlier this year, but I did. What's happening at the Music Box right now is something incredibly special.

This cast, while very small, is easily one of the most talented casts on Broadway right now. Ben Platt is off the charts and out of this world. His performance is one we will be talking about for years and years to come. The journey he takes the audience on with his character is so incredibly heartbreaking. How he does this eight times a week is a wonder. I can't imagine anyone else winning the Tony for Best Actor. Rachel Bay Jones is, as always, turning in an amazing performance. The chemistry between her and Ben Platt is unreal. 

The set is nearly identical to the set at Second Stage. It's very simple and consists of some sliding panels that glide in and out and up and down and serve as canvases for the gorgeous projections. There are so many brilliant stage pictures in this production (especially during Waving Through a Window and You Will Be Found). Because of this, I would recommend sitting in the mezzanine for this. I was in the mezzanine row D all the way to the right, and they view was perfect. 

I am so glad that this show is on Broadway. It is so powerful, relevant, and simply beautiful. Based on the grosses and the full house last night, I anticipate this being around for a long time. I would definitely get tickets now while you still can, because once the reviews come out, it's going to be hard to get a ticket. Between The Great Comet and Dear Evan Hansen, this season is off to a great start in the musicals category!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

skies Profile Photo
skies
#207Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 11:00am

dramamama611 said: "skies said: " I'm so mystified by reports that can't see that the shift in tone is quite jarring.

I've just never been so confused by an opposing opinion that can't see the show as contrived and not quite hitting the right balance.

I dunno, Just wanted to share my confusion.

"

Because it's not jarring to everyone?   It's still just part of an opinion.   

"

Of course.

You obviously didn't read the post I was resonding to, who used the same phrases  to convey "confusion" for anyone having an opposite opinion.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#208Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 11:15am

I was expressing my own inability to understand the opposing opinion. I wasn't trying to suggest that the analysis or opinion was wrong. Just that I was having trouble separating my real life experience, which conforms very specifically to events and characters of the show, to the suggestion that the show is contrived or dishonest.

My post was very clear that my confusion was my own. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#209Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 11:41am

Every piece of fiction ever crafted exists in part on a plot contrivance.  But its true as well that most things that happen in real life are 'stranger than fiction' and arguably a lot more seemingly contrived than half the things we see in fiction.

I thought the plot of DEH was very intriguing. I don't really see anything in it that I would say suspends plausible reality.  I know some have found issue with the ending; perhaps feeling that Evan 'gets off easy' but even there - I think the ending s realistic.  Why would the family go forward to publicly deny Evan's claims, when what Evan did ultimately brought the family together, painted their troubled son in a positive light (probably more positive than he deserved) and raised social awareness?

The story and the performances were the best part of the show for me. The music and the staging were what I felt arguably were a little less inspired.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#210Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 12:52pm

I think the greatest fault of the story is trying to tackle too many lofty subjects - all of which are super interesting and can be a show of their own account. I personally found the story of how the family handles the news of the death of their child to be the most compelling. I almost find it a shame that the show is developed around the lie that Evan tells the family. It makes it feel super fake especially because you know it's all going to blow up at around the end of act two. I also agree that the ending came rushed and did not give enough closure on many of the plot points.

With that said, I still greatly enjoyed the show and am so so SO happy that a story like this is being represented on Broadway. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#211Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 2:20pm

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. The performances are good, but I thought the show was cloying, manipulative, self-important, and false. And for a story that was largely already done in a much harder way as a movie, it felt awfully impressed with its newness. 

skies Profile Photo
skies
#212Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 2:21pm

KJisgroovy said: "I was expressing my own inability to understand the opposing opinion. I wasn't trying to suggest that the analysis or opinion was wrong. Just that I was having trouble separating my real life experience, which conforms very specifically to events and characters of the show, to the suggestion that the show is contrived or dishonest.

My post was very clear that my confusion was my own. 
"

To quote you: "I've just never been so mystified by the opposing voice."

Anyways, it's obvious this is a polarizing show as far as the SL is depicted and the characters reactions and how audiences react to that.

It happens.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren
Updated On: 12/2/16 at 02:21 PM

neonlightsxo
#213Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 2:31pm

Scarywarhol said: "for a story that was largely already done in a much harder way as a movie, it felt awfully impressed with its newness. "

Just curious, what movie are you referring to?

BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
#214Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 2:32pm

I'm seeing this Saturday night and could not be more excited! 

I have tickets pretty close to the stage. Is that going to take away from my experience? I heard there were projections that I probably won't be able to see right...

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#215Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 2:49pm

The film World's Greatest Dad with Robin Williams. I started throwing my hands in the air during this show because every time I thought it was just a coincidence, the next narrative point would dovetail perfectly. But in a much softer version. 

neonlightsxo
#216Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 2:56pm

Oh, interesting. I've never heard of that but will look into it.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#217Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 3:20pm

Hmmm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Greatest_Dad

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#218Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 3:35pm

I've never heard of that movie either but plot wise they are definitely similar!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#219Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 3:48pm

Dear Evan Hansen and World's Greatest Dad definitely have some strong similarities.  Greatest Dad, however, is very painful and uncomfortable to watch and I think that DEH is softer and more powerful in it's storytelling.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#220Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 3:53pm

Love!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#221Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 3:54pm

World's Greatest Dad is a pretty great movie, but I'd say it's pretty different in it's tone and intentions. I do see the similarities.

Jesus saves. I spend.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#222Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 4:41pm

The B roll and production photos are so beautiful. 

To respond to those of you saying the show is false...No no it is not. Think about all the people kids, adults, etc who are peer pressured, bullied, etc through social media or not, social media is important it can be done in a good way or bad. The production shows both ways of this and in a way that also makes everyone feel good and feel "found". If y'all couldn't tell I'm like IN LOVE with this show, it is so beautiful, the music is so tuneful and smart, and the performances are to die for. I mean Ben Platt is giving one of the best performances on broadway rn. Him singing Waving through a Window is worth a ticket alone , forget about the OBC (which btw is out for preorder now) the way he performs it live is just amazing. As a big fan of Rachel Bay Jones and after seeing her play many mothers (Catherine in pippin, Rosalyn in First daughters suite, mother in HAIR) this is the performance show just how versatile of an actress she is. Yes shes been playing mothers for ever but all these roles have been different and her role of Heidi is by far the most impressive of already great performances by her. 

The rest of the cast is also so superb, I can't. Jennifer Laura Thompson is also giving a heartbreaking performance that I also hope is recognized in the spring along with Rachel. I really like Laura's portrayal as Zoe. With that said it's just not much of a role, she's playing a questioning teenage girl, and that's it. Great for the show and everything but nothing to go crazy about, same for Michael Park, also giving a great performance as Larry but nothing tony worthy in my opinion...the role just isn't developed that way. 

all in all this show is so beautiful and deserves to be seen by everyone who has been the forgotten one...or really just everyone. You will be found. 

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#223Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/2/16 at 4:41pm

The B roll and production photos are so beautiful. 

To respond to those of you saying the show is false...No no it is not. Think about all the people kids, adults, etc who are peer pressured, bullied, etc through social media or not, social media is important it can be done in a good way or bad. The production shows both ways of this and in a way that also makes everyone feel good and feel "found". If y'all couldn't tell I'm like IN LOVE with this show, it is so beautiful, the music is so tuneful and smart, and the performances are to die for. I mean Ben Platt is giving one of the best performances on broadway rn. Him singing Waving through a Window is worth a ticket alone , forget about the OBC (which btw is out for preorder now) the way he performs it live is just amazing. As a big fan of Rachel Bay Jones and after seeing her play many mothers (Catherine in pippin, Rosalyn in First daughters suite, mother in HAIR) this is the performance show just how versatile of an actress she is. Yes shes been playing mothers for ever but all these roles have been different and her role of Heidi is by far the most impressive of already great performances by her. 

The rest of the cast is also so superb, I can't. Jennifer Laura Thompson is also giving a heartbreaking performance that I also hope is recognized in the spring along with Rachel. I really like Laura's portrayal as Zoe. With that said it's just not much of a role, she's playing a questioning teenage girl, and that's it. Great for the show and everything but nothing to go crazy about, same for Michael Park, also giving a great performance as Larry but nothing tony worthy in my opinion...the role just isn't developed that way. 

all in all this show is so beautiful and deserves to be seen by everyone who has been the forgotten one...or really just everyone. You will be found. 

Willie4316
#224Dear Evan Hansen Previews
Posted: 12/3/16 at 1:54pm

Just saw the show last night. All I can say is that it is absolutely amazing.

The story was beautiful and although the music did somewhat remind me of Next to Normal's score, it is still wonderful. Ben Platt's performance is top notch, I can very easily see him taking the Tony for Best Actor. Laura and Rachel are also heartbreaking and I hope they too get recognized for it. Michael and Jennifer were great but nothing Tony worthy, but I think that's due to the way their roles were written. 

For anyone who has felt as though they were forgotten, this show will remind you that no one is forgotten, you will be found.