The Rock Tenor

MusicLover2
#1The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/15/09 at 12:41pm

Opening night tonight in Philly for The Rock Tenor (Rob Evan) a concert conceived by the Broadway star with director Vincent Marini. A two-hour show with a live rock band and some very talented performers. It's worth the trip to Philadelphia. Good Luck, Guys!!

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#2re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/15/09 at 12:48pm

Shockingly, I've heard there's NO Wildhorn in there. Mostly legit rock bands (Bon Jovi/etc.) and then .. Sondehim and Les Miserables. Go figure.

MusicLover2
#2re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/15/09 at 4:24pm

You're right. No Wildhorn, no "This Is The Moment." Did you think that was all Rob Evan could do? I think you would be quite surprised by this concert. The whole crew is fantastic.
Morgan James is a beauty, too.

Bway2010 Profile Photo
Bway2010
#3re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/15/09 at 5:32pm

Is this at all similar to those THE DREAM ENGINE concerts he was doing last year or the year before?

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#4re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/16/09 at 10:03am

How was it? was it recorded?

MusicLover2
#5re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/16/09 at 10:25am

I understand it went very well last night. I'm expecting a review on BroadwayWorld soon. As far as I know it was not recorded but you can see a great clip on therocktenor.com from the NBC Good Morning America (So. Jersey and Philly)tv program filmed last Friday....Rob Evan and Morgan James singing "Making Love"...a Jim Steinman song.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#6re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/16/09 at 12:47pm

It's similar to the TDE concerts in that Rob performs material by Jim Steinman. However, it differs in that it's not solely Steinman material. TDE was basically a vehicle for Steinman's newer compositions and biggest hits in the wake of Meat Loaf kicking him to the curb during the creative process of Bat Out of Hell III.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#7re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/16/09 at 1:15pm

I saw this in its previews.

That's really all I have to say. I saw it, and it happened. :|

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#8re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/16/09 at 1:48pm

So it wasn't good? I hear Rob Evan has begun to turn into a Meat Loaf caricature when Steinman tunes come up.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#9re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/16/09 at 2:54pm

"You're right. No Wildhorn, no "This Is The Moment." Did you think that was all Rob Evan could do? I think you would be quite surprised by this concert."

...no I didn't think that's all Evan could do. I just don't necessarily care to see him cover songs without getting atleast one he's boasted about re: The Rock Tenor. Since it's in Philly, may have to check it out .. we'll see.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#10re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/16/09 at 8:28pm

Opening was lots of excitement and buzz in the audience.
Both Rob & Vincent were very pleased and grateful for all the support. At least one of the arrangers (Jeremy Roberts) attended.

Some TB chatters are comparing it to "Rock of Ages" (see ATC posts).

I will be doing a BWW review after I sit down with the creators.
Meantime, here is the set list and link to their site for more details about the show and ticketing info.

1. Opening - Hey Jude into Don't Stop Believing into Satisfaction into We Will Rock You into Kashmir into Carry on My Wayward Son into All Good People into an interesting combo of Styx- Come Sail Away, Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusic, and the Theme from 2001 A Space Odyssey
2. Bring Him Home (Les Miserables) and Daughtry's Home
3. Beatles - Blackbird into Yesterday into Eleanor Rigby
4. Lascia Ch'io Pianga (Handel) into combo of Open Arms (Journey) and Johanna (Sondheim)
5. Nessun Dorma (Puccini) with a Kashmir rock feel
6. Kiss A Girl (Keith Urban)
7. O Fortuna (Carmina Burana) and Wanted Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi)
8. Alone (Heart)
9. Till There Was You (Music Man) and Say (John Mayer)
10. Life is a Highway (Rascal Flatts)

ACT II
1. Half An Acre (Hem) and Making Love Out of Nothing At All (Air Supply)
2. Besame Mucho (Andrea Bocelli) and Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (The Police)
3. Devil Went Down To Georgia (Charlie Daniels Band)
4. Caruso (written by Lucio Dalla) and Time To Say Goodbye (Francesco Satori and Lucio Quarantotto)
5. Paradise By The Dashboard Lights (Meatloaf)
6. Hallelujah - (Leonard Cohen- as recorded by Jeff Buckley)
7. Queen - Who Wants to Live Forever, Somebody to Love, Crazy Little Thing Called Love
8. Hosanna (Rock version from Andrew Lloyd Weber's Requiem)
ENCORE - HEY JUDE

The Rock Tenor

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 7/16/09 at 08:28 PM

MusicLover2
#11re: The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/17/09 at 4:57pm

Pati, Looking forward to your review. As you undoubtedly know, the reviews thus far have been very good. By the way, nice seeing you in Lenape last weekend, and Craig Schulman.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#12 The Rock Tenor.. Inquire Review
Posted: 7/18/09 at 3:40pm

Met up with Rob yesterday to get a better insight on show details, expectations, etc. Putting together a review asap. Positive word on the street has peaked ticket sales.

Always grrrreat to see you too!

Much love,
Pati

Inquire Review of Rock Tenor

Updated On: 7/18/09 at 03:40 PM

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#13 The Rock Tenor.. TheaterMania
Posted: 7/18/09 at 3:54pm

Not sure if this is a post or a review, but TheaterMania weighs in about The Rock Tenor as well. Link below.
TheaterMaina Post/Review

MusicLover2
#14 The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/18/09 at 10:31pm

Heard it was sold out tonight and this afternoon. Great news 'cause these performers work so hard and put on a fine show.
Ticket price is reasonable. Theater seats almost 300, stadium-style so there's not a bad seat in the house.

Lori2 Profile Photo
Lori2
#15 The Rock Tenor
Posted: 7/18/09 at 11:12pm

I saw it last Saturday, I know the director, I thought it was fantasic, and very well put together :)

http://www.myspace.com/jrobertspencer
Can you keep the cup from tipping Can you keep the grip from slipping In despair, for just another day ~Next To Normal

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#16 The Rock Tenor : Bww Review
Posted: 7/19/09 at 7:29pm

BWW Review

Videos