Posted: 8/4/09 at 7:49pm

we are going to sing:

"Too beautiful for words" from Color Purple -

Thanks for the ideas - and I've downloaded a few of your suggestions -

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#101re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/4/09 at 8:32pm

alightinthedark -i'm with ya! when i read the post my first reaction was "i'm alive from n2n", jokingly.

Seriously though, I agree that "wishing you were somehow here again" is a gorgeous song and would fit if you can edit as few of the lyrics.

Hank
#102re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/4/09 at 8:34pm

"I'm Going Home", from Rocky Horror.

I've actually thought about this one for many years now.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#103re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/4/09 at 9:22pm

I'm gonna go ahead and second No One is Alone from Into the Woods
Add in part of the finale, and you get this beautiful good bye message:

Sometimes people leave you
Halfway through the wood
Do not let it grieve you
No one leaves for good

Plus it's got enough real reality and complexity that I feel it rises above straight sentimentality that might annoy me at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/4/09 at 09:22 PM

AwesomeDanny
#104re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/4/09 at 11:09pm

AndAllThatJazz22, that makes more sense being on one of the last days of school. I hate the last week because you don't do anything. Luckily, I had strep throat for the middle three days of the last week of school (the week after the Tony's this year), so I watched the Tony's at least twice that week, not including the live Broadcast. I was able to come for the last day (a Friday and a half-day), and we watched "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". It was a good movie, but I had seen it fairly recently, so I was kind of bored.

Oh and for whoever said not to discredit a teacher because they're young, I wouldn't stereotype young teachers as bad because I had a preschool teacher who was in her late twenties then, and she was very good with us. However, my fifth grade teacher who was 27 then, and my seventh grade social studies teacher who is 25 were not the best teachers.

Oh, and I think coloring maps is appropriate, but in seventh grade, we had to do a project where we had to make a paper cube about an explorer, each side with different information. According to the rubric, you could get a D- if you had perfect information but it was very boring. You have to admit that's not right.

AwesomeDanny
#105re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/4/09 at 11:09pm

AndAllThatJazz22, that makes more sense being on one of the last days of school. I hate the last week because you don't do anything. Luckily, I had strep throat for the middle three days of the last week of school (the week after the Tony's this year), so I watched the Tony's at least twice that week, not including the live Broadcast. I was able to come for the last day (a Friday and a half-day), and we watched "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". It was a good movie, but I had seen it fairly recently, so I was kind of bored.

Oh and for whoever said not to discredit a teacher because they're young, I wouldn't stereotype young teachers as bad because I had a preschool teacher who was in her late twenties then, and she was very good with us. However, my fifth grade teacher who was 27 then, and my seventh grade social studies teacher who is 25 were not the best teachers.

Oh, and I think coloring maps is appropriate, but in seventh grade, we had to do a project where we had to make a paper cube about an explorer, each side with different information. According to the rubric, you could get a D- if you had perfect information but it was very boring. You have to admit that's not right.

husk_charmer
#106re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/4/09 at 11:16pm

^ Actually, it is right. In the real world, the projects with the best information and the best presentation, usually get you the better money (or whatever is needed).

And really, presentation will almost always outweigh content. For examples see: Mamma Mia, Wicked and Rock of Ages (nothing against the shows, but it's true).

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#107re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/5/09 at 12:40am

Yeah, I agree with husk. She's just preparing you for the real world, where presentation counts.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

AwesomeDanny
#108re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/5/09 at 12:43pm

Okay, well, I guess neither of our opinions are changing, but we were making a social studies project, not a Broadway Musical. The purpose was to learn (because this project took the place of a test), not to make money. But anyway, the teacher just told us it had to be colorful and creative. I colored the background a different color on each side, and I creatively hand-wrote the title of each side in a different font and got a B-, temporarily dropping my grade to a B. That may not sound like a big deal, but it is a huge deal for me. According to the teacher, the more creative cubes had tie-dye patterns, polka dots, and stripes on each side. If you were making a musical about the life of Vasco de Gama, would the set be decorated in bright, colored stripes, swirls, and polka dots? I wouldn't think so. This definitely wasn't the only project like that in the class that year.

husk_charmer
#109re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/5/09 at 12:54pm

^ You missed my point completely. I was trying to compare it to musicals, since that's a common language between us.

I'm still standing by the teacher, she wanted solid information and was also grading on presentation. If you had such an issue with it, you should have brought this up with her, or the department head.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

SayWhyNot Profile Photo
SayWhyNot
#110re: What bway song would you like at your funeral
Posted: 8/5/09 at 1:19pm

I don't know about your friend, but since I was in college, way back in 1974, I have always had this secret longing that someone would play "Time to Start Livin'" in the original Irene Ryan version. It's been a background theme of my life. If the crowd is too sedate, try, of course, "Yes" . . . . . . .