pixeltracker

My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)- Page 2

My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)

dramadude2 Profile Photo
dramadude2
#25re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 12:30am

No, Dayao. I think it's just because your sass is so long-winded.

No one wants to see a musical called Thoroughly Modern Mildred.

dayao Profile Photo
dayao
#26re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 12:43am

dramadude2:
Your criticism is constructive, appreciated and quite true; I do have a tendency to go on too much when I write about something that displeases me. I will try to be more concise and on point in the future.

"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak

gypsy4
#27re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 1:27am

I love the Idea of Miss Hathaway in role she'd be great, but also you have to remember miss hepburn herself didn't do her own singing for the original film. which is one reason that she didn't win the oscar. but her acting was supurb. so on to my point they could cast an actress who realy no singing ablity what so ever. what about ZOE Deschanel? they could probaly adapt elizas range from a high soprano to a mezzo-sopran/alto.

Updated On: 8/18/09 at 01:27 AM

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#28re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 7:14am

It won't happen, but I would love for Laura Michelle Kelly was cast as Eliza. She played the role exquistley during its final months at Drury Lane in 2003, and although not a big star, she is definitely more known than Lisa O'Hare, mostly from Mary Poppins and the Sweeney Todd movie.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#29re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 8:26am

Ewan McGregor as Freddy? Freddy is supposed to be around 20, and Ewan is pushing 40.

Why do people on this board like to cast actors too old for the parts. Just the other day someone seriously suggested Liza Minnelli or Barbra Streisand as Rose in a GYPSY remake. The hell?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

AngusN
#30re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 8:57am

"any real British subject would laugh at the notion that Hathaway has mastered anything that even closely resembles a real British accent"
I disagree. In 'Becoming Jane' her English accent is certainly plausible. Yes, it will need some work. But, most actresses will need work on the cockney accent anyway.
As for her performance in Carnival; she was merely 19 years old.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#31re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 9:11am

"Ewan McGregor as Freddy? Freddy is supposed to be around 20, and Ewan is pushing 40."

Fair 'nuf...I didn't realize he was that old. I'll rescind that suggestion. I guess I'd go with an unknown for Freddy (at least, unknown to me). I can't think of any young male singer I'd trust with The Street Where You Live.

As for the accents, any actress, even a Brit, would likely need to work on the accents.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#32re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 9:15am

Am I the only one who is confused about all these people saying Jessica Biel is the best choice? Are we thinking of the same Jessica Biel? well, toanythingtaboo_2 and I are thinking of the same one. She's not terrible, but she's certainly not Eliza.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#33re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 10:05am

Since she did G&D, Jessica Biel has been the go-to girl on the board for dream casting. She is seriously wrong for this part.

Laura Michelle Kelly on the other hand is perfect - she is an up and coming star, with the acting and vocal chops, plus she has already triumphed playing the role in 2003.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#34re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 10:36am

Why do people on this board like to cast actors too old for the parts.

It's because everyone was wowed by Meryl Streep pretending to be 40 in Mamma Mia.

SporkGoddess
#35re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:15am

I just said Jessica Biel would be the best choice out of Anne Hathaway and Keira Knightley.

LMK would be my ideal choice. Hey, she happened in Sweeney, so it isn't impossible. Except for Keira's already pretty much cast, ugh.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#36re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:37am

We can all speculate as to who should or shouldn't be in a remake of "My Fair Lady."

But, let's remember the bottom line. Film making is a business, and it's all about money. The studio will cast a name star to sell tickets...that's the first priority. If they are right for the part, or if they have the required talent isn't the most important thing. MONEY is number 1.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#37re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:42am

^^Your comments are appropriate in light of your av.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#38re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:46am

My av has nothing to do with the truth of filmmaking.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#39re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:47am

But it is a very good example of casting someone who is not right for the part.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#40re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:55am

Who would you cast in the film......not going on a name, but just on talent?

Muhlethaler
#41re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 12:44pm

Updated On: 7/20/18 at 12:44 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#42re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 12:56pm

"Who would you cast in the film......not going on a name, but just on talent?"

I would cast Hathaway, with Hugh Laurie as Higgins, and Maggie Smith as Higgins' mother. I would cast movie stars for a movie. Perhaps if you could surround her with stars, you could get away with LMK as Eliza, but this isn't a Hairspray-type project where you'll have Travolta, Pfeiffer, Efron, Latifah, etc to fill out the cast. LMK's only(?) film credit is Sweeney Todd, and she was unrecognizable for most of it.

Having said all that, if My Fair Lady were to be revived onstage, LMK would be a fine choice. While I'd love to see Hathaway in a stage musical, I don't know that she can sing that score eight times a week. Everyone is speculating about Hathaway's singing abilities (positively and negatively) based on minimal information.

bwaylvsong
#43re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 1:13pm

I'd cast Kelli O'Hara, Richard Gere, John Lithgow, Robin Williams, Josh Groban, and Liza.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#44re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 1:33pm

Richard Gere would be a very good choice for Higgins, actually. Robin Williams as Doolittle...?? well....???

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#45re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 1:47pm

Why not Dame Julie as Mrs. Higgins? She's age appropriate now. Wouldn't it be something if (like Gladys Cooper) she got a Supporting Actress nomination -- and won! It would be like retribution after missing out completely the first time around.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#46re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 1:51pm

"Why not Dame Julie as Mrs. Higgins?"

Perhaps, but Maggie Smith would be my first choice. The thought of her with Hugh Laurie as Higgins would be worth the price of a ticket.

As long as Emma Thomspon is around for the screenplay, how about her as Mrs. Pearce?

degrassifan
#47re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 2:00pm

I'd love Julie Andrews as Mrs Higgins, and I can totally see her being nominated for Best Supporting Actress...that is if she agrees to it. If not her, then I agree with Maggie Smith or Judi Dench.

Hugh Laurie would be good as Higgins, maybe even Alan Rickman as Pickering. I don't know.

As for Eliza, I would cast either Hathaway or Knightley. There are pros and cons with both of them.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#48re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 2:04pm

I think I'd rather see Alan Rickman as Afred P. Dolittle. Anthony Hopkins would be my choice for Pickering.

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#49re: My Fair Lady - remake (+ more)
Posted: 8/18/09 at 3:13pm

Since the film is being produced by Cameron Mackintosh and Duncan Kenworthy (both English producers) I would hope they use mostly English talent and hope to sell the movie mostly on the title rather than the stars. My dream cast is:
Eliza - Laura Michelle Kelly
Higgins - Jonathan Pryce
Doolittle - John Lithgow
Mrs Higgins - Julie Andrews