TheatreFan4
#50re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/28/09 at 12:32am

AT LEAST once a week? That's weird.

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#51re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/28/09 at 1:17am

I had the same thought that Dolly had, she probably wants to be with her baby on Sundays. I was a fan of hers in Hairspray and Little Shop of Horrors, but after Xanadu I freaking fell in love with her. I am running to this after September 21st. I have been wanting to see this show, but now it is a definite. I am so sadly (poor grammar) stuck in the 80's anyways.

It is funny I happened to be trying to get tickets to 9 to 5 today and struck up a conversation with a guy who said he worked in the general manager's office for Rock of Ages and he said it was official. This is great news!

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#52re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/28/09 at 12:56pm

<< I had the same thought that Dolly had, she probably wants to be with her baby on Sundays. >>

Yep. And its a great thing--- especially since her baby girl is too darn cute !!!

maybethistime
#53re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/28/09 at 1:32pm

Good for Kerry!

Clearly this role is vocally challenging and I know she had a "pre-nodular condition" at one point many years ago. I'm sure she's just responsibly looking after her voice, as the other actresses in this role have been, or should have been, all along. Good for her for getting her precaution negotiated into her contract, rather than just missing shows at random. I, too, agree that she also could use the extra time to be with her family.

While it's sad how much of a departure this is from the glory days of Merman never being off ("and that'll be the day"), I think this is a step in the right direction for actors who need to look out for and protect their greatly invested-in, though ultimately rather fragile, voices, aka meal tickets. Producers (and Alice Ripley), take note.

lstbutifulgrl2
#54re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/28/09 at 6:05pm

I agree with JP2, Constantine is not out as much as it may appear. I know off-broadway he missed 2 shows the day his brother got married. I don't think he missed any (could be wrong) prior to the Tonys and since then has missed maybe 6, due to allergies and other engagements. He posted on his Twitter that he will be out for Labor Day weekend, someone said he had a wedding to attend. He also said that his new contract allows for outs for other things.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

sayokay
#55re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 6:08pm

Ugh, good for Kerry but I was looking forward to Laura Bell in the role like it was originally rumored.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#56re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 6:23pm

Laura Bell practically shot her voice in Legally Blonde. Why would she do this? Can't believe it was even a rumor.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#57re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 6:31pm

it's not that big of a stretch. She originated the role in Los Angeles.

millie_dillmount
#58re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 6:51pm

Even so, with what happened to her voice in Legally Blonde, I can't really see her in Rock of Ages at this point in time.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

snarkywannabedreamer
#59re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 7:44pm

um.... okay. I pass the concerns on to her reps for the fictional day she is rumored to be offered a role that is already cast with Kerry Butler.

TheColorOfFlame
#60re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 8:00pm

I hear from members of the GREASE tour that their Sandy, Emily Padgett, will soon be playing Sherrie on Sundays in ROCK OF AGES.

"I am the sound of distant thunder, the color of flame." CARRIE the Musical

millie_dillmount
#61re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 8:19pm

"um.... okay. I pass the concerns on to her reps for the fictional day she is rumored to be offered a role that is already cast with Kerry Butler."

Well, I know they already cast Kerry (duh). I was questioning the rumors prior to this announcement, especially after some felt Laura's voice got progressively worse playing Elle. We already saw what happened to Amy Spanger after she played Sherrie for a while.

Anyways, whatever, I am sure Kerry will do this role justice. Color, what did you hear about Emily Padgett's starting date with Rock of Ages, assuming this is true?

Updated On: 8/29/09 at 08:19 PM

snarkywannabedreamer
#62re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 8:43pm

LBB and Amy have very different voices and vocal styles. I saw LBB play Sherrie and she killed it vocally... and according to people involved in the production, she never complained about the material being demanding and never missed a show. Amy struggled vocally with the role since previews. The show is not too straining if you sing it properly.

millie_dillmount
#63re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/29/09 at 8:46pm

Well, I guess it would be interesting to see how Laura could handle the role long-term as opposed to the shorter six-week stint in LA.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#64re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/31/09 at 12:50pm

I will have to go back and see Kerry in this...love her!!

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#65re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 8/31/09 at 8:05pm

Since I heard she's joining the cast, I'm waiting til then to see it!

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

wally
#66re: Tony Award Nominee Kerry Bulter Joins Broadway's ROCK OF AGES In The Ro
Posted: 9/4/09 at 12:28am

It doesn't make sense to me to hire someone for 2 shows a week when the understudy(ies) could do it, but I guess they have their reasons. Emily Padgett posted on Constantine's FB "See you end of Oct".

And I'm still not thrilled about Kerry Butler, but I was willing to give her benefit of the doubt. But my plans to see the show in Oct have been cancelled.