pixeltracker

How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?- Page 2

How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?

Lohania
#25How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 7:24pm

She's sort of known. It's harder for Broadway people to make the transition to TV and movie work because of the fact variety shows such as Carol Burnett and Ed Sullivan no longer exist. Appearances on those shows helped give Broadway performers some celebrity which could translate to appearnces in other types of TV shows or movies. There are lots of talk shows, but they would rather feature whatever pop acts record labels are trying to push instead of Broadway musical stars singing songs. Broadway people often seem to take their stab at moving to LA in order to be proximate to TV/film auditions, but it's not always easy for them to get work, let alone starring roles (though it does happen sometimes, with patience). Stage skills and physical appearance also don't always translate to what they're looking for in film/TV work. Look at Brian Stokes Mitchell. A bigger star, arguably, than Kristin, but he's best known nationally for an recurring guest star appearance as Frasier's neighbor on the "Frasier" show.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#26How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 7:51pm

Think it is fair to say Chenoweth has not done too much since being a founding member of Wicked, so she could not earned to much money recently, or has she, would Kristin and Idina earn a small percentage from Wicked, as they created the role?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 8:25pm

I always find it strange when people say the actors 'created' the roles, since it was the authors..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

luvbrdway
#28How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 10:10pm

Brian Stokes Mitchell was Frasier's neighbor? I had no idea. Didn't Kristin appear a few times as his agent, or something?

Personally, don't think her performance on the awards the other night did much to further Kristin's career, but what do I know. I was just uncomfortable watching her.
Updated On: 1/17/10 at 10:10 PM

bwaylvsong
#29How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 11:12pm

Nothing much to add, just a few comments...
- I've never heard of Life Goes On.
- I'd say Stokes is more known for Fresh Prince than Frasier, and Kristin got more screen time on Frasier.
- My mom was really excited to see Patti LaBell's interpretation of Mama Rose, but couldn't picture her in the role. She asked me who the blonde girl was when we were watching Candide. She asked me how Andrea McArdle was after I saw 110 in the Shade. Bernadette is one of her favorite actresses.
-Kristin has done a LOT since Wicked. She's starred on Broadway, won an Emmy, and made the rounds on award shows. I highly doubt she's not making money. Updated On: 1/17/10 at 11:12 PM

Lohania
#30How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 12:36am

Looked up Brian on IMDB . . . I did not know he was a regular on the late '70s TV show "Trapper John, MD," a spin-off of MASH that ran for 151 episodes. He played an intern, and even composed some music for the show. He actually didn't have any career on Broadway until the mid-'90s. I assume he did other theater, but wasn't a Broadway leading or featured actor at that point. He wasn't a theater star yet when he did Fresh Prince, either (only did six episodes of that). He was a Broadway star and Tony winner at the point he appeared on "Frasier" for three episodes (I had thought it was more).

Not to derail the thread, but it's just interesting to me that it points out that it's hard to classify what constitutes fame for actors, and also the choices they make between devoting time to stage work and film/TV. It's probably a combination of financial need and job satisfaction and the luck of the draw. Kristin is doing pretty well for herself, because she does work steadily, and she does get leading roles on stage and has had some significant roles on TV.

Upland
#31How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 2:08pm

While "star" is a relative term, I would say:

Concert hall: Star. Kristin sells out concert halls. I was at a concert at the Lillian Disney Concert Hall, where she received a standing ovation for her entrance.

Broadway theater: Medium star. While she has not necessarily opened a show (as in the show opened to huge numbers because she was in it), her positive reviews sure helped "Wicked" in its early days (the show did not receive particularly good reviews, while Brantley, as usual, loved her). This last season, producers of several shows were vying to get her to star in their show. That seems to mean at least something.

TV: Personality and actress. She is a regular on the talk show circuit (the fact that she is pretty AND funny makes her a popular guest). Her recent Emmy win has given her additional credibility. She certainly gets more tv offers for series regular roles than most actors, so while she is not a household name, like Jerry Seinfeld, she is more successful than most tv actors.

Press: Personality in Hollywood: She is very well known in Hollywood, because in a town crawling with beautiful women, Chenoweth is special because:
A. She is funny. It is very rare for someone to be that beautiful and that funny.
B. She has a glorious singing voice. Her singing voice gives her a unique position in Hollywood. She has a quantifiable talent, which many in the industry recognize.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#32How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/18/10 at 5:16pm

Patti LuPone is also very well known for LIFE GOES ON, which she will always be recognized for.

Was very well know. Life Goes On has been off the air for 17 years. These days, if it's remembered at all by non-theatre fans, it's for Corky, not her.

She's gonna be "that girl" long before she becomes "Cheno" to the population.

I sincerely hope she never becomes "Cheno" to them. It's bad enough hearing it from the Wicked fans.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#33How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/21/10 at 11:36pm

It does really irritate me when people call her "Cheno."
It's disrespectful.

I only remembered Life Goes On because of Corky, and even then I referred to it as "That TV drama with the retarded high school boy" for the longest time. I've since rewatched it as an adult and it was a cute little show. I've also since realized that "Retarded" is so not PC. ha ha

I'm saddened when I'll ask someone if they know who Kristin Chenoweth is or Audra McDonald, and they say No; but you can bet they know who Snooki from the Jersey Shore is or any of those orange-toned plastic people from The Hills.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#34How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/22/10 at 12:52am

I would say on Broadway she's almost up there with LuPone and Peters...they have more years of experience. But she can get there, and can basically write her on ticket as to what she wants to do, IMO.

On film, she has a bit to go.

Speaking of LuPone...I watched "Life Goes On" on FX in re-runs when I was in HS. I can remember Corky, Becca (Kelly Martin), Jesse (Chad Lowe)...even a blonde older sister...but I can't even place LuPone's face in my mind. I didn't know who she "was" at the time though.

Upland
#35How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:15am

Well, when she guest judged on American Idol, in her introduction they had to reassure the television audience: "she really is a big deal" so I guess that means...

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#36How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/23/10 at 11:42am

As far as within the theater world, yeah she is pretty famous. I wouldn't put her up there with Bernadette and Patti, but she certainly is very well known.

As far as mainstream TV and film fame goes, she's not really that famous. If you were to poll 10 people on the street (not in NYC) I bet less than half would know who she was. People may know her as the woman from Pushing Daisies but she's hardly an A or B lister. And like someone already said, her recent gig hosting the Critic's Choice Awards probably didn't help her that much. And I doubt she gained much exposure from only being in half an episode of American Idol.

Incidentally my parents, who are causal theater lovers have no idea who Kristen Chenoweth, and Patti LuPone are. But they are familiar with Michael Crawford, Bernadette Peters, and Audra McDonald.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible