pixeltracker

How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?

How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?

Matteo Profile Photo
Matteo
#1How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 1:12pm

I'm not sure if it's because I know her from Wicked, or because I know she's on a few cast recordings, but I see her as a huge star. Is Kristin Chenoweth really high up there in the "famous broadway star" group with bernadette peters, patti lupone, etc., or is that all just in my head?

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#2How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 1:18pm

Well, she's going to be on American Idol soon, which should give her, you know, a teeny tiny bit more exposure.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

lovesclassics
#2How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 1:19pm

Who???

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 1:23pm

This is actually an interesting question that I've been thinking about myself lately. She's gotten so much exposure the past two years but still can't seem to break out of "I think I've heard that name somewhere".

I usually judge a person's fame if my Mother knows who they are. If she knows who they are (even if you have to say "you saw her/him in so-and-so") than I'd say they're pretty recognizable. As of the other day though, when my Mom asked me who was guest judging on Idol this season and I mentioned Cheno's name, she had no clue who it was. So I'd say she still has a ways to go.

robinycus2
#4How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 1:36pm

Wouldn't know here if I ran her ovah.

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#5How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 2:06pm

I think an evaluation of her celebrity kinda depends on the arena in which it is being considered. Also, it's a question of the components that make up a "star", which I see as awareness, BO potential and/or artistic respect from the industry and from her audience.

In the Broadway world:

Awareness = star.

BO Potential = not yet a star. She's never opened a show on her name (a la Bernadette, Patti, etc). "Promises, Promises" should be interesting experiment, though obviously it's not the purest test since she has the benefit of (the even more recognizable) Sean Hayes' name alongside hers.

Respect = possibly a star. On the one hand, audiences generally adore her and go crazy for her. And I think the audiences and the industry alike acknowledge what a magnificent and special voice she has. But she's not really a proven actress by any means yet; not on par, for example, with Audra. So for some, the jury may still be out.

Final Verdict = almost a star. Already gets starring roles, but not a bona fide star yet except in the minds of her fans.

In the rest of the entertainment world:

Awareness = not a star. As has been said, many people vaguely recognize her name but still don't know who she is.

BO Potential = definitely not a star. Witness the fate of the shows where she has been a series regular.

Respect = borderline star. She's definitely earned some respect as a character actress and a gifted comedienne. "Pushing Daisies" was a big help in that department. But I think both the industry and the audience still see her as a bit of a one-trick pony. Or maybe a one-trick pony who can sing. The Dusty Springfield biopic that she is working on could go a long way to breaking her out of her "little funny blonde" pigeonhole.

Final verdict = star potential but needs to show more range.

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial
Updated On: 1/16/10 at 02:06 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#6How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 2:10pm

Slightly.

AwesomeDanny
#7How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 3:28pm

I think she's not really a celebrity, but she's not a nobody, either. If I mention her in casual conversation to somebody who isn't obsessed with Broadway, I'll have to explain what she's been in. I find that more people recognize the title "Wicked" than have seen her movies or TV shows, though. A couple people I talk to know her character on Pushing Daisies, but they don't know her name. I think that she needs to do some more movies before she becomes a celebrity.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#8How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 3:43pm

I usually judge a person's fame if my Mother knows who they are. If she knows who they are (even if you have to say "you saw her/him in so-and-so") than I'd say they're pretty recognizable.

My mom recognizes Kristin Chenoweth, but has no idea who Patti LuPone is.

I think the definition of "famous" is too complicated to make an official declaration. Someone like Audra McDonald is famous in the theatre world, but currently the average person would only know her as "that black woman on Private Practice." Patti LuPone is really only known through theatre these days. Kristin just won Emmy, so she's currently more famous by Hollywood standards right now. Patti can open a show with her name, but Kristen could star in a movie with hers. It's all fleeting, though, so the answer could be totally different a year from now.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 1/16/10 at 03:43 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 4:19pm

I don't know if Bernadette Peters is THAT well known, either. At least in the general public.

What I find interesting is that she seemed to be on the way of becoming a film star, but something went wrong - did HEARTBEEPS

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0082507/ kill her career?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

AwesomeDanny
#10How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 4:25pm

qolbinau, my dad knew who Bernadette Peters was before he found out she did a lot on Broadway. He and my mom both said she was on one of the late night talk shows a lot.

MichaelUK92 Profile Photo
MichaelUK92
#11How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 4:34pm

I am also interested by this. I mean, you would think an original cast member of Wicked would be quite well known. I don't really see her doing much *correct me if I'm wrong* I know she's in a few things and has hosted a few things but compared to Menzel, she doesn't seem to have found her place yet.

wonkit
#12How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 5:24pm

More famous than I am, and less famous than Michelle Obama.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#13How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 5:50pm

A lot of my friends/family know who Kristin Chenoweth is and that's saying something since they're not into theater at all. Her appearance on Glee was very popular amongst all my friends who watch that show. And even if someone I know doesn't know Kristin Chenoweth by name know her from one of her movies or as "the original Glinda in Wicked." So I do think Kristin is pretty well-known outside of Broadway.

I wouldn't consider Patti LuPone or Bernadette Peters famous either. I guess it depends on who you're asking though. But based on my family/friends, they know Kristin more than Peters or LuPone simply because Kristin has done more mainstream stuff, especially within the last couple of years.

re: Audra McDonald... "The black woman from Private Practice" is much better than how my sister calls her "The black Grace from that Annie movie." haha :rolls eyes:.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#14How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 6:02pm

Patti LuPone is also very well known for LIFE GOES ON, which she will always be recognized for.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#15How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 6:17pm

Patti, Bernardette and Kristin are known by the Broadway community, some gay guys, and some people that happened to watch the shows they were in.
None of them are mainstream stars, they were never the star of a hit film. They might have had a cameo in them, but they are not A-listers or even B in Hollywood(a worldwide market).

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 6:18pm

Patti LuPone is also very well known for LIFE GOES ON, which she will always be recognized for.

In all fairness... EVITA put LuPone on the map and the nation's consciousness back in the early 1980's. To this day, many still remember her only for that: EVITA. Many don't even know that LuPone in ABC TV's LIFE GOES ON is the same actress who was the original EVITA on Broadway.

Also quite a few Broadway aficionados think WICKED was the show that put La Chenoweth on the map. They had NO idea she ever did anything before that -- anywhere.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#17How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 6:23pm

I think this may be the most empty, meaningless, BS-filled thread I've ever seen on BWW. PARTICULARLY averagebwaynut's arrogant, interminable rant.

LAWDY! Get a life, kiddies.

P

NGeorgiaBwayFan Profile Photo
NGeorgiaBwayFan
#18How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 7:22pm

I think Kristin is still in that just almost famous bubble... GLEE has def helped her out this year, seems to me.

Most of my family remember Patti from "Life Goes On", but wouldn't have a clue who she was as far as Bway. (Susan Boyle helped her out a lot this year, too.)

But, even my "small-town no interest in broadway" grandma knows who Bernadette is.

"Like the good Lord says . . . Ya gotta take the rough with the smooth, Baby!" Madame Rose

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#19How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 8:24pm

Ah Pgenre -- it's comforting to know that you truly are a nasty, pathetic jerk and not solely when it comes to anything and everything relating to "The Addams Family".

Thankfully, I can take comfort in the knowledge that you are among the most "empty, meaningless, BS-filled" posters on BWW.

My post was neither arrogant nor interminable. I answered based on criteria that spoke directly to the question posed by the subject line of the thread. Unlike you, who virtually always seems to do so, I did not respond by insulting anyone else who had posted.

Indeed, as your post adds NOTHING to the conversation except denigrating the original poster for his/her question and everyone else who has responded thus far -- and yet you nevertheless took the time to write it (get a life indeed!) -- it is YOU who have shown yourself to be remarkably arrogant, devoid of even the basic tenets of human decency and courtesy. When you have NOTHING constructive to say -- which clearly is often -- spare us all the necessity of reading your bitchy drivel. Or in short, "SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Kisses!

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 8:38pm

"Patti, Bernardette and Kristin are known by the Broadway community, some gay guys, and some people that happened to watch the shows they were in.
None of them are mainstream stars, they were never the star of a hit film. They might have had a cameo in the"

While she hasn't really been "the" star, Bernadette Peters has had more than cameos (starring-ish roles) in THE JERK, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, PINK CADILLAC and HEARTBEEPS. And probably some I've missed. But I guess since most were critical and box office failures (The Jerk and Pennies were well received, but only the Jerk was a popular success too) her film career didn't take off.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#21How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/16/10 at 11:02pm

She is so famous that Mongolian peasants have started a petition for her to star in the Asian Steppes tour of WICKED.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#22How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 2:35am

MichaelUK-I'd say she's forging a fair name for herself. She did win an Emmy. And, I remember the night of the awards, I was very excited when she won and so were some friends, but they didn't know she sang AT ALL.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#23How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 2:43am

Bernadette Peters became well-known for 2 things early on.
1. Dating Steve Martin
2. Appearances on Johnny Carson and The Carol Burnett Show

The thing is, an entire generation of baby boomers watched those shows religiously, so the majority of them know who she is.
My stepmother's reaction was priceless though. "Bernadette Peters? I didn't know she could sing." This was said not long ago. She really only knew her as an actress.

Most people don't know who Patti is (outside of the Broadway community). They know they've heard the name. They're just not sure where or why. Anytime I've said her name to non-theater lovers, the reaction I get is, "Shut UP Patti LuPone." Yeah. They know her from that one episode of Will and Grace.

Kristin has one thing on her side that the other two did not have for many years. The internet. She would definitely not be as well know if it weren't for internet forums and youtube videos.

As far as her headlining a Broadway show, there was "The Apple Tree." It may not have succeeded like "Wicked" did, but she did carry that show on her shoulders.
And her acting in the film "Into Temptation" I think proves beyond a doubt that she's not just a one-trick pony. The woman can act.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#24How famous is Kristin Chenoweth?
Posted: 1/17/10 at 3:07pm

Chenoweth, right now, is the female equivalent of a Fred Willard or a late Paul Lynde- the "TV guest star of choice." While her name may not be hugely known, her height, peculiar but charming voice, slightly-oversized bust and quirky sense of humor make her a natural guest star on TV programs and award shows from GLEE all the way to Robot Chicken.

She's gonna be "that girl" long before she becomes "Cheno" to the population.