pixeltracker

DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!- Page 5

DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#100DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/24/11 at 2:21pm

Walmart has 4/$20 Blu-rays tomorrow. Some looked pretty craptastic, but there may be a few gems you need.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#101DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/25/11 at 1:29pm

I just picked up Inception on Blu-Ray at Amazon for $4.99.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#102DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/25/11 at 2:25pm

The complete Daria box-set is going for $21.49 and I got X-Men: First Class on DVD for $8.99 on Amazon.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#103DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/28/11 at 1:11pm

Warner Archives has 5 for $50.00 with free shipping through today only.

MOD titles 5 for $50

....but the world goes 'round

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#104DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/1/11 at 8:11pm

Warner Archives is selling Volume 1 of the "Andy Hardy" movies with the first 400 signed by Mickey Rooney!
$59.95 with free shipping!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#105DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 2/10/12 at 7:06am

Gold Box One-Day Only Sale:

I Love Lucy - complete series - List price $235.98, today only $70.49.
The Complete "I Love Lucy" on DVD

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#106DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 3/9/12 at 11:12am

Warner Archive:

5 for $50.00 with free ground shipping through 3/11/12
Link

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#107DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 3/9/12 at 2:22pm

Sweet! Thanks, Taz!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#108DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 3/9/12 at 4:24pm

NO! STOP! GAH! I already succumbed to that I Love Lucy deal AND the recent Criterion sale.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#109DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 3/9/12 at 5:26pm

LOL

"One of us ... one of us ... one of us ..."

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#110DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 4/21/12 at 5:34pm

Barnes & Noble is having a sale right now.

Buy one get one free for DVD classics. Sale ends on Monday for that.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?PRO=1127&CAT=&store=DVD&view=grid

This one isn't as good, but you can get Television series sets for 40-50% off. But, their site says up to 50%, so who knows. That ends on the 30th.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/tv-shows-DVD-Blu-ray/379003204?r=1&cm_em=m_kouba84@hotmail.com&cm_mmc=Other-_-Merch-_-120415_MI_DVD_SALE-_-

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#111DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 4/21/12 at 5:46pm

I LOVE IT when Barnes and Noble has their 50 percent off Criteria dvd specials. I get an extra 10 percent off so it really is a deal. Only time I buy Criteria is when B&N has their sale,which is about twice a year.

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-

Mister Matt
#112DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 9:02am

Amazon has the West Side Story 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray box set as the Gold Box Deal for today for $25.00!
West Side Story: 50th Anniversary Edition Box Set [Blu-ray] (1961)

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#113DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 9:38am

Do we know if this West Side Story Blu-Ray has been fixed? Have they removed the blackout that occurs during the title sequence?

Mister Matt
#114DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:18am

The box set was released after the disc correction, so it should have the corrected disc (which people are still unhappy about). The UPC of the box set with the corrected disc is 88390424521681 to verify. If you have the incorrect disc, you can fill out the online form to have it replaced. The disc replacements started in January 2012.

I've a feeling this is as good as it's going to get for a while, so for $25, I'm not going to be that picky.
West Side Story Replacement Disc Form

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#115DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:21am

^ Thanks! Just placed my order.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#116DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 12:02pm

I just wish I were more excited about the Blu-ray transfer. There were major problems with it initially, enough that MGM/Fox had to redo the discs and offer to exchange them.

Apparently, during the famous line art title sequence, just before the end of the overture, the entire screen dipped to black for several seconds. Something went wrong, obviously. Then in the opening shots of the buildings (from a bird's eye view) there was serious "jitter" during the pans. Supposedly, they fixed the dip to black, but with the wrong color, and the jitter was toned down, but is still there.

Other than that, I hear the movie looks pretty good overall and is definitely a step up from the previous DVD.

Still, I haven't ordered it as of yet, because of the complaints from purists and home video collectors. I'd rather have it without all the collector's stuff, though. I don't need a book, a watch, Chino's pistol, Anita's Black Orchid perfume bottle, etc. It's too much.

I have two of those big boxes (Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind), and I stopped after that. I just want the movie, looking as good as it possibly can.

Updated On: 5/10/12 at 12:02 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#117DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 12:32pm

I'm still surprised that the fade to black problem ever happened in the first place. Surely they didn't intentionally make that change during the transfer? And how could something like that have gone unnoticed? Was it a technical glitch that happened at some point after the transfer during production of the discs?

Incidentally, TCM showed the movie the other night and the fade to black during the title sequence was there.

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#118DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:02pm

From across the pond in the UK, the company I work for has some great offers on some great world cinema titles including Oscar Winner A Separation, Melancholia, We Need To Talk About Kevin and Pina
Artificial Eye bargains

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#119DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:27pm

There are so many region 2 dvds I want! I really need to invest in a region free player.

Mister Matt
#120DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 2:14pm

I want to invest in a Blu-Ray player that can also play Region 1 & 2 DVDs, but the info out there is so conflicting, it's nearly impossible to know what to buy.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#121DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/10/12 at 4:47pm

I'm still surprised that the fade to black problem ever happened in the first place.

The only way I can think of it happening is that the title sequence was recreated, rather than restored. It actually makes sense that they would do it that way, and they have done it before on other films with static title images or cards over music. There is no reason to restore every single frame of film for a static image that sits on screen for several seconds before cross-fading to another static image.

The answer is to scan a single cleaned-up frame of each image (or in the WSS title sequence's case, each different color of the line art city), and then get an editor to cross-fade them with the same timing seen in the film.

This means the editor screwed up, and his last card, right before the fade into the live footage of the city was missing. So it dipped to black for those few seconds instead. Then popped back up again as the fade occurred.

Really stupid that nobody checked it. And the "quick fix" was just as stupid. They replaced it with an image that was the wrong color, according to people who know the title sequence well.

I think part of the problem is having QC people in these restoration or home video departments that aren't really familiar with the films. They should call in one of the "experts" out there. In Hollywood, there are plenty of them who know every frame of certain films.

It's a minor flub to some, but there's really no need for such sloppiness on a restoration project like this.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#122DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 5/17/12 at 1:31pm

Warner Archive (which now includes MGM and Universal as well)

3 for 45/free shipping

Link

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#123DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 6/29/12 at 1:15pm

Warner Archive 4 for $44.00

4th of July sale.

Free shipping

Link

Updated On: 6/29/12 at 01:15 PM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#124DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 6/29/12 at 2:24pm

Don't know if anyone has Blockbuster around them still or not, but definitely worth checking out, if the store is closing. This was a couple of weeks ago, but my store was selling the used rental dvds for $2.99 a piece. They were selling brand new stuff for 60% off. They also had single discs with just paper or plastic covers for 49 cents a piece. Maybe that was their Total Access program stuff? Don't know. But, I walked out of there with about 12 movies for $15 or $16.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates