pixeltracker

DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!- Page 7

DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#150DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/12/12 at 5:39pm

While it's hard to qualify Family Plot as a "masterpiece", I am glad that the Hitchcock release is being done. I admit, I'm gonna wait to hope for a bigger sale--I got the standard DVD box set of those same films in the end for $15.99 at a special one day only sale, and while don't expect any comparitively cheap sale for the Blu-Ray I just can't bring myself to pay the current price.

Lawrence, however, I *will* be getting.

Roscoe
#151DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/13/12 at 12:47pm

I'm waiting to see how much the LAWRENCE box set will cost at Costco. That's a major must-get.

I was able to pre-order HEAVEN'S GATE and BRAZIL under the Barnes and Noble sale. Excellent.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#152DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/13/12 at 2:51pm

The boxset of Lawrence of Arabia was just $49.99 at Deep Discount, although I don't think that price is good anymore.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#153DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/14/12 at 10:03am

Today only. "Alien Anthology" on Blu-ray.
$25.00

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#154DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/14/12 at 10:03am

Today only. "Alien Anthology" on Blu-ray.
25 bucks

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#155DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 6:44am

Today's Amazon special is:

The Lord of the Rings Triology: Extended Editions - for $43.49

I will say that, for me, the first film is unwatchable due to a very strange dark green tint over the entire film (and even the menus!). It's an odd color-timing issue that was staunchly denied by everyone from Peter Jackson on. Yet the DVDs don't look like that, the theatrical version of the Blu-ray doesn't look like that, and it did NOT look like that in the movie theatre.

It's the equivalent of watching the entire movie wearing green-tinted sunglasses.

I got the set for cheap last year, and I had to turn the first movie off and play the extended DVD instead. The second and third films look great on Blu-ray, though.

I have no idea why or how it happened, except someone really screwed up and then everyone involved tried to justify it.

So with that in mind, BUY AWAY! Maybe it won't bother you. Some people say they can't even tell the difference. I immediately think these people are colorblind. It's not remotely subtle. It's a huge discrepancy.

LINK

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#156DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 6:46am

Here's a comparison of the Extended Blu-ray (left) and the theatrical release Blu-ray (right).

LINK

Roscoe
#157DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 10:18am

So that's what everybody was shouting about with the "green tint." Thanks for sharing that link.

I didn't notice it. At all.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#158DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 12:26pm

Besty, how do mistakes that are that obvious go by unnoticed during the process of a release? (The YouTube sample shows there's clearly an error.)

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#159DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 12:37pm

Did Warner's Recall these Blu-Rays and fix the problem?

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-

Roscoe
#160DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 1:36pm

As I recall, they denied there was a problem. No recall was ever issued.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#161DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 1:58pm

Roscoe is right. Never recalled and never fixed. Even when the extended editions were released earlier this year as singles, the same green tint is on the first film. It's still being denied as if it isn't there or is "correct" as is.

I wish I didn't notice it or it didn't bother me, but it drives me nuts. Not only is everything green (including the friggin' menus which aren't even part of the film), but it's darker overall, so in the "dark" scenes in the woods, etc., there is actually detail missing in the shadows.

As I say, I watch the extended DVD of the first film, then the Blu-rays for 2 and 3, which are fine. The theatrical version of 1 is fine, too. It's just the extended edition that's messed up.

Roscoe
#162DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 2:12pm

I remember seeing the Extended version when they ran it in theaters, and enjoying it immensely -- I didn't notice any difference in particular, but I do remember thinking that the film looked a lot lovelier than it had, the nature cinematography seemed much more lush than it had ever seemed before. I suspect that Jackson decided to tinker with the color in the first film, making it seem richer if you like, to make the contrast with the final film, where so much of the color is leeched from the image, that much more apparent.

Only my wild guess. I just don't see the green tint that everybody else is always on about, not that I doubt best's word at all. Maybe I've got my TV set up in a certain way that minimizes it, or something.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#163DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 5:17pm

Oscilloscope Labs has a blowout sale ending at 6 pm today. Some interesting indies and docs, mainly Exit Through the Gift Shop and Meek's Cutoff for less than $5.

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#164DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/15/12 at 9:02pm

The Warner Archive Collection has just announced its first Blu-ray Disc releases, including Deathtrap and Gypsy! They'll be available starting next week – 11/20. Then starting in February 2013, Warner Archive will release 2 additional BD titles each month (SRP $21.99 each). Future titles will include the Coen Brothers' The Hudsucker Proxy and Fearless. From the studio's press release, 'All will leverage high-quality 1080p masters.' They'll be produced in limited quantities and fulfilled on demand. Cool news indeed!

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/111512_1300

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#165DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/17/12 at 1:48am

Warner archives sale til Monday November 19th

30% off select titles plus free shipping. I have a hunch they are gonna have a better Black Friday sale (hopefully their 5 for $50 sale with free shipping)

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/code/grandopensale_wacshop.do?pp=96&sortby=bestSellersAscend&ref=EWACSHOPLAUNCH

Roscoe
#166DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/17/12 at 5:39pm

I got the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA box set at Costco for $54.00 or so. Spectacular -- the Blu-ray transfer is a thing of real beauty. The book looks quite good. The box includes a frame form a 70mm print of the film, and I got a good one, for a change; a shot of Lawrence in Auda's tent, I think he's just told Auda that he has long ears.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#167DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/17/12 at 5:47pm

Yay! I didn't spring for the Costco set, but I'm glad to hear the movie looks as great as I remember it (from 4 or 5 years ago when I first saw the BD restoration). They sure waited a long time to release it.

But all good things come to those who wait!

Roscoe
#168DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/12 at 7:37am

I'm glad I took the time to see the new restoration when they showed it FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY a few months back. That's a really sad and disturbing trend, these ONE NIGHT ONLY screenings -- I can remember when LAWRENCE OF ARABIA was selling out the Ziegfeld for weeks at a time.

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#169DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/12 at 9:04am

begins today
Amazon's full movies/blu ray calendar

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#170DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/12 at 9:19am

Thanks for posting that.

Wow, none of my "wait and see" titles are on the calendar this year. I'm hoping some will show up on the Lightning Deals or Gold Box daily specials.

Not as great an offering as last year.

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#171DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/12 at 10:03am

no, not at all! Last year I got the first 4 seasons of Mad Men for $9.99 (I believe) each. This year does make me wish I hadn't bought Big Bang Theory a few months ago. Hoping better ones pop up, but I think my bank account did a happy dance when I saw the titles.

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

Roscoe
#172DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/19/12 at 9:33am

Last year at Best Buy I got the BEN HUR blowout box set (complete with exclusive little Roman Centurion figurine, believe it or not) for a mere $10.00.

Doesn't look like anything as cool as that is going to be happening this year. I'm keeping my eye on the fifth season of MAD MEN, just in case...

Updated On: 11/19/12 at 09:33 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#173DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/19/12 at 1:24pm

Not sure if this is a bargain just for today or if these DVD are always this cheap, but all three seasons of "WHITE COLLAR" are $8.00. I just ordered all three!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#174DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/19/12 at 7:28pm

Some other "rock bottom" prices ...

Some really good deals going on if you sift through everything!