Rose's Turn on Glee

silversurfer2
#50Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 5/13/10 at 8:17am

I agree, the "Rachel Berry' addition made no sense, but I thought Chris did a fine job with the song. Yes, maybe a tad out of his range, but I think he worked it. It was the highlight of a really bad episode, IMO. And the scene following was one of the best so far this season. I think Chris is a fine actor. But this has to be one of the worst written shows I have seen in a long time. More "Chris" and less "Rachel" would suit me fine. I would just love, one episode without AUTOTUNE--I really would like to hear their real voices. The first number that "KURT" sang, didn't even sound like him...what a farce!
Updated On: 5/13/10 at 08:17 AM

Gothampc
#51Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 5/13/10 at 9:08am

I think Rose's Turn was the wrong choice of material. This is only Season 1 and they are presenting one of musical theater's iconic songs. Where are they going to go?

Additionally, while the character of Kurt may have had this song on his mind, it doesn't really fit in. The song is about a person who has travelled many miles and then realizes she's been travelling in the wrong direction. Kurt is too young to understand that.

A much more appropriate song for this scene would have been "Who Will Love Me As I Am?" from Side Show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#52Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:13am

It wasn't so much about the show context- I saw it being as much about the song itself, and about Kurt embracing that song as sort of a "show queen anthem." Like the angry, blue-screen-of-death version of "I Am What I Am."

jagfkb
#53Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:18am

Though the lyric changes irritated me slightly, here's what would have made more sense:

I dreamed it for you Finn,
It wasn't for me, Dad
And if it wasn't for me, then where would you be, Miss Rachel Berry?

THAT would have made tons more sense... otherwise repeating dad twice, followed by Rachel doesn't flow...
But the second after that, with the lights on the red curtain... that's why I love the show, those little moments...

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#54Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 5/13/10 at 11:20am

True, true. However, according to TV Guide, the whole sequence was just an in-joke between the actor and Ryan Murphy. When Chris went to see "Patti Lupone Gypsy," he begged to be able to sing the song in the show, any context.

jorgelsal
#55Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 6/10/10 at 11:25pm

About the "Rachel Berry" part, my guess is Kurt remembers when he blew the F note on Defying Gravity for his dad and gave Rachel the song for his dad and the call he got on the same episode.

AwesomeDanny
#56Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 6/10/10 at 11:39pm

And my guess is that some writer for the show just got really lazy and cared only about rhyme and not what syllables are accented in the name "Berry" or what made any sense at all.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#57Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 6/11/10 at 2:38am

I have to say...I was not impressed at all. JMO

Just give the world Love.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#58Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 6/11/10 at 2:47am

I was just dissapointed they only did half the song... really missed the iconic opening.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#59Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 6/11/10 at 2:56am

Exactly.

My thought was...If you are going to do it and with the gay male character...do it right and do the entire thing.

Just give the world Love.

bwayrose2
#60Rose's Turn on Glee
Posted: 6/11/10 at 4:58pm

I'm a huge GLEEK and Kurt is my favorite character, but I didn't care for it at all. Felt all out of context and wrong for his character. It's like the creators just wanted to use the song and tried to find a fit for it and it just didn't work. I usually think they do a pretty good job of matching songs to situations but I didn't think it worked.