Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#1Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/23/10 at 11:14pm

This was 6th time seeing N2N. I was really hoping to see Jessica as Diana but Alice was in. Vocal rest does Alice wonders. Saw her May 1st and she was totally different. This was probably the best I've seen her in the 6 times I've seen the show.
Brian. One problem. He isn't Bobby. Brian shows very little emotion. I went in wanting to love him. Loved him in Shrek and heard great things about him off broadway in N2N. He was good. Miles better than Michael Berry, but Bobby is a sweeter, more sympathetic Dan. His chemistry was ok with Alice. Nothing like Bobby's.
Jen. She messed up and came out of character a few times. Hey 3 she was hysterical laughing. Also, asked her about Spiderman and she said 'I can't comment' so I guess that's a yes...we'll have to wait and see
Louis and Adam are great as always and give it their all.
Kyle. Saw him May 1st and that was my 3rd time seeing him. I thought he improved so much then...tonight...he was little out of it. Maybe he's sick...or needs a break. Still great though.
If anyone has questions just ask. Thanks

christian_drake Profile Photo
christian_drake
#2Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 2:51am

Wow, she broke character? That shocks me...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 8:17am

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Alice and Brian didn't have strong chemistry. Their dynamic is completely different from Alice and Bobby, but you get a strong sense that they've been together a while and been through a lot. I also thought Brian was quite caring. And, he sings like a dream.

The big difference between Brian and Bobby is that with Bobby, you worried if his Dan would be ok at the end. With Brian, you know his Dan is gonna make it, but it's still upsetting.

I loved Bobby, but Brian takes it.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#3Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 8:28am

My problem with Bobby was that he was OVERLY sympathetic. His acting was so forced. The fake crying was terrible. He was so over the top at points. I don't know why Dan has to be overly sympathetic to be successful. Everyone always thinks of Diana as the sole victim, but they forget that Dan has been suffering with her for years and years. Brian plays the role with conflict in his eyes, and I think that's more real than anything that Bobby ever did.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 8:53am

^Agreed.

Again, I LOVED Bobby, but the thing with Brian is that you feel like he really has been there for almost 20 years, and as a result, he's battered. Bobby's Dan was like an outsider who was just coming in, unaware of what was happening. Again, as much as I love Bobby, I find Alice and Brian much more believable as a couple that's been through difficult times.

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#5Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 9:25am

I saw it for the first time Saturday night, so I only know Brian's performance -- and he tore me to shreds.

I wasn't sure what to expect with N2N but I loved it. What a brilliant piece of theater.

Steve Schalchlin
(Be sure to look at my link below to see Jim Brochu's total pwning of the Drama Desk Awards and his NSFW punchline involving Mitzi Gaynor.)
Living in the Bonus Round

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#6Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 11:10am

I also saw Next To Normal last night. It was my third time seeing the show. Personally I thought the show as a whole was great. Everyone performed wonderfully as a cast.

In my opinion I thought Brian's interpretation of Dan was fantastic. I preferred his Dan over Bobby's. Don't get me wrong I thought Bobby was great both times I saw him but Brian was fantastic as I stated earlier. I thought the chemistry he had with Alice was wonderful. Like someone stated in an earlier post you can really believe that they are a couple and family who have been together for so long and have weathered so many trying times.

As for the rest of the cast they were all just as amazing as I remember. I do have to say that Alice's voice to me sounded very strained but it completely worked for the character of Diana. It was almost like she just sounded tired and wanted to be "normal" again.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#7Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 12:52pm

His acting was so forced. The fake crying was terrible.

You must not have been sitting close because if you had been, you would have seen real tears. I understand disliking his portrayal, but I don't know how anyone could say his "I've Been" or "I Am the One (Reprise)" were forced. Whether or not he was your cup of tea, his performance was completely genuine. The criticisms his portayal has gotten in this thread are exactly why I love his Dan so much and why his performance moved me to the core. Based on what's been said, I think I'd prefer Bobby's portrayal to Brian's. Brian's portrayal sounds wonderful in its own right though and I wish I could see him for myself.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 3:31pm

I actually WAS close the last time I saw Bobby. In fact, I was in the front row, center section on the aisle. RIGHT in front of his chair for the I Am the One reprise. I never said his tears were fake. I said his crying was fake. It felt very much like an actor trying to make himself cry onstage. It just felt very unnatural. It was overkill.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#9Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 3:57pm

"I said his crying was fake. It felt very much like an actor trying to make himself cry onstage. It just felt very unnatural. It was overkill."

Totally agree. Haven't seen Brian (not sure I'll be heading back to the Booth), but I never understood the large praise for Spencer's performance. Perhaps that's just my reaction to his getting a Tony Nomination over James Barbour, but I was never convinced by his performance!

DefyGravity777
#10Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 5:59pm

I was there too. This was my 10th time seeing it and I thought it was the worst show I saw. Alice came back way too soon IMO. She was straining and struggling to even sing during most of it. Rushing through lines especially in Next to Normal. Jenn could barely finish her line when Alice started hers.

I wasn't crazy about Brian. He looked way too old even next to Alice. His voice was too scratchy and deep for my liking. Maybe I'm just used to Bobby since I saw him 9 other times.

Kyle Dean and Jenn were at their best. Kyle just gets better and better and so does Jenn. She struggled once in Superboy(which she usually does). Jenn was just so animated onstage and looked like she was having a blast. I never once saw her break character like the OP said. She has laughed in Hey#3 everytime I saw the show.

Louis and Adam were the same as they usually are.

That being said I thought Alice and Brian had incredible chemistry. He did with Jenn and Kyle Dean too. I Am The One(Reprise) made me cry harder then I usually do.

These are just my opinions but I know people are gonna bash me like usual. People like different things/people but no one seems to realize that.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#11Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 6:10pm

You really think Brian looks older than Bobby? I thought Bobby came across as WAY older.

DefyGravity777
#12Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 6:49pm

Yes I think that Brian looks way older than Bobby. I'm afraid to see what he looks like with Jessica(who looks like Kyle,Jenn or Meghann's slightly older sister).

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#13Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 9:38pm

Everyone thinks that Jessica looks too young. I don't get it. I think she totally comes across as late 30s/early 40s. I saw Brian and Jessica go on together last week, and I thought they looked perfect together, which is interesting since you think Brian looks too old and Jessica looks to young.

In other news, Jessica was back on tonight for Alice. Brian is also out, so Michael Berry went on. Anyone know why?

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#14Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 9:40pm

Brian's doing a benefit concert at Northwestern.

and I saw Jessica and Brian last week too and I thought they looked great together.
Updated On: 5/24/10 at 09:40 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#15Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 10:11pm

I wanted to see this again tonight, but when I saw that Alice and Brian were out, I chose not to. I hope to see it with the two stars sometime soon...

DefyGravity777
#16Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/24/10 at 11:33pm

I wish I would have seen it tonight now instead of last night.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#17Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:02am

I have been DYING to see Michael and Jessica together..ugh I hope they get a chance to when Michael covers for Brian in June/July

DefyGravity777
#18Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:31am

When does Jessica leave the show?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#19Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:38am

bjh, sorry. I thought you meant that he wasn't actually crying. I'm just surprised that his acting came across as forced. If anything, I'd think that the complaints about Bobby's performance would be that it was too understated.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#20Next To Normal 5/23/10 Evening
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:42am

I have been DYING to see Michael and Jessica together..ugh I hope they get a chance to when Michael covers for Brian in June/July

I'd say you'll certainly get that chance. I doubt Alice would go two consecutive weeks without missing a show.

Videos