Fiddler question

Trainwreck Profile Photo
Trainwreck
#1Fiddler question
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:19pm

Has anyone seen the following Fiddler On The Roof tour? I was considering taking my girlfriend since it is playing on her birthday. She really loves musicals and has a really wide variety in tastes.

http://www.broadwayacrossamerica.com/shows/fiddlerH.html

Shows Seen - Swing!**, Rent (Broadway)**, The Lion King***, Wicked*****, Legally Blonde***, Chicago****, Cats***, Fiddler on the Roof***, Burn the Floor**, In the Heights***, Hair*****, A Christmas Story**, Rock of Ages***, Vanities*, Billy Elliot****, Next to Normal*****, 9 to 5**, Mary Poppins***, Guys and Dolls***, Aladdin***, Les Miserables*****

Upcoming Shows - Cinderella, Oklahoma!, Damn Yankees, Rent

Paramount Theater and 5th Avenue Theater season ticket holder

Proud Gleek

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#2Fiddler question
Posted: 5/25/10 at 4:04pm

I saw it when it played Toronto in December. It was underwhelming: Rushed direction robbed the show of much of its warmth, and Harvey Fierstein's singing (?) and constant mugging ruined the rest.

I have seen community stagings that got more of it right.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

jacobson Profile Photo
jacobson
#2Fiddler question
Posted: 5/25/10 at 4:16pm

I couldn't DISagree more. I saw it in Atlanta and loved the show from beginning to end. Though Harvey would be annoying but found him warm and funny. I say go see it for sure.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#3Fiddler question
Posted: 5/25/10 at 4:23pm

Didn't see the tour, but I saw Fierstein on Broadway and he was quite good. Don't know if he's any different this time though.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4Fiddler question
Posted: 5/25/10 at 4:28pm

If you do a search, there are a few threads discussing the tour.

It just left Denver on Sunday. I saw it last Tuesday and really enjoyed it. I will agree partially with frontrow in that a few things seemed to be rushed. Most notably "If I were A Rich Man" and "Matchmaker" for me. "Anatevka" seemed a bit fast also. But overall, it was a wonderful production. Fierstein brought the humor to the piece that Topol didn't to the movie. Well worth seeing in my opinion.

Just give the world Love.

Videos