pixeltracker

Musical Theatre Programs in Washington State?

Musical Theatre Programs in Washington State?

PeterMichaelG Profile Photo
PeterMichaelG
#1Musical Theatre Programs in Washington State?
Posted: 6/5/10 at 4:19pm

It's becoming that time of year where I need to find colleges to audition for and get ready. Currently I live in WA state and I've been trying to find instate colleges for a degree in Musical Theatre. Does anyone know if there are any good colleges in WA that have a well known program? I've looked and looked but seems like no colleges have a very good one? Am I wrong? Or is there one? If anyone could help me that would be great! :)

Aswatrowinkenbo Profile Photo
Aswatrowinkenbo
#2Musical Theatre Programs in Washington State?
Posted: 6/6/10 at 5:51am

As far as I know the only school here that has an actual musical theatre degree is Central Washington University over in Ellensburg. The bad part, it's on the eastern side of the mountains and all the real acting opportunities outside of school are mostly in the Seattle area.

I've heard Seattle Pacific has a great music program if that helps any... And the University of Washington seems to have a pretty strong acting program. Don't even try Washington State University since they cut their drama program completely.

Good luck fellow Washingtonian, it looks like we're in the same boat.

PeterMichaelG Profile Photo
PeterMichaelG
#2Musical Theatre Programs in Washington State?
Posted: 6/6/10 at 2:30pm

Hey! Thanks a lot. Yea it doesn't really seem WA has the greatest programs for theatre. I think the best bet is going to go out of state. I've thought of going out of state for awhile so I think thats what it's going to be! Thanks :)

jake6970
#3Musical Theatre Programs in Washington State?
Posted: 6/6/10 at 6:37pm

Cornish?

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#4Musical Theatre Programs in Washington State?
Posted: 6/6/10 at 9:16pm

I know that Central has a musical theater program (our high school borrowed the sets and costumes for a musical version of "Cinderella"), but it really is out in the middle of nowhere. A gas station and one traffic light was really all that was there (at least 13 years ago when I was there last). It seems strange that there is a program there, so far away from Seattle with all the musical theater opportunities.

I also know one guy who went to Cornish. I don't know how the program is, but he did end up cast into a bunch of productions around the Seattle area, and he did do a reading of "Feeling Electric" (a.k.a. Next To Normal). But really, those two are the only ones I know that has a specialized program in musical theater.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Videos