"Sweeney Todd" On TV

gvanover Profile Photo
gvanover
#1"Sweeney Todd" On TV
Posted: 6/6/10 at 9:20pm

I hate when people are lazy and just post random questions, but I am truly struggling to find something after months of searching and was hoping maybe someone on these forum could help.

In the early 2000s (I can't remember the exact year, but sometime before 2005), I watched a unique blend stage/concert version of "Sweeney Todd" on TrioTV. Trio, which I believe is now cancelled, aired it a couple times, but I can't seem to remember what company or group did this version. Does anyone know which production this was?

"She couldn't act scared on a New York City subway at three in the morning."- A review of Sarah Brightman for "The Phantom of the Opera"
Updated On: 6/6/10 at 09:20 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2'Sweeney Todd' On TV
Posted: 6/6/10 at 9:21pm

http://www.amazon.com/Sweeney-Todd-Concert-George-Hearn/dp/B0000648Y0

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

gvanover Profile Photo
gvanover
#2'Sweeney Todd' On TV
Posted: 6/6/10 at 9:30pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have checked all the DVD version I can find, and it isn't any of those.

"She couldn't act scared on a New York City subway at three in the morning."- A review of Sarah Brightman for "The Phantom of the Opera"

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#3'Sweeney Todd' On TV
Posted: 6/6/10 at 9:38pm

I have no idea what you are talking about. Cast Album Collector only lists the videos we know about & no non-commercial ones.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#4'Sweeney Todd' On TV
Posted: 6/6/10 at 10:07pm

Wikipedia lists a number of concert productions that it could have been. Do you have any idea who was in it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweeney_Todd_%28musical%29#Concert_productions

abitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
#5'Sweeney Todd' On TV
Posted: 6/7/10 at 2:52am

..sounds like the concert/semi staged production with Hearn and Lupone which was filmed on the west coast, during Stevie's 70(?)th birthday year.

It's on dvd, or at least was.

jimmycurry01
#6'Sweeney Todd' On TV
Posted: 6/7/10 at 2:55am

Yeah the only semi-staged concert professionally filmed was the LuPone/Hearn concert, which i believe was once repeated on Trio before it went under.