In the Heights 8/15/10 Review

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#1In the Heights 8/15/10 Review
Posted: 8/19/10 at 9:51pm

It was Chris Jackson's last show and you could tell. The energy both in the audience and the cast was amazing. Lin Manuel Miranda, Andrea Burns, Robin de Jesus, Seth Stewart, Kyle Beltran, and his replacement Clifton Oliver were all in the audience.

I'm going to point out some stand out songs then blab about other things.

"In the Heights"
Corbin Bleu seemed really excited for Chris. So excited that right when Jon Rua made his entrance as Grafitti Pete and did his dance, Corbin was waiting in his entrance spot and even jumped the gun a little on "That's my wall!" When the ensemble came out, the theater came alive and you could tell everyone was excited. Chris got entrance applause, and he couldn't stop smiling. He was already giving his all just minutes into the performance. I also have never seen Shaun Taylor Corbett, and he was hilarious!

"Breathe"
This was my first time finally seeing Janet as Nina. She was amazing! Didn't expect much from her, but she wayyy over delivered.

"Benny's Dispatch"
He was jumping up and down and doing the whole thing full out. It was a joy to watch a true performer give his all on his last time in a role written for him. His chemistry with Janet was also amazing.

"It Wont Be Long Now"
Last time I didn't enjoy Marcy. What a change!!! WOW! She must of had a piece of Chris's going away cake that had way too much icing on it because she was full of energy! She actually rocked this song. Also, Marcos Santa (former swing) is in Luis Salgado's track permanently, and although it was weird not seeing Luis, Marcos can dance!

"No Me Diga"
First time seeing Bianca as Daniela. Weird not seeing Andrea Burns, but she was very good! Pretty hilarious also. Courtney Reed was almost in tears every scene because of Chris's last.

"When You're Home"
Again, Chris was giving his all here because it was his last, but it also seemed like Janet was! She was amazing!

"96000"
All I can say is "For real though, imagine how it would feel going real slow, down the highway of life....." This was his song that day.

"Club/Fireworks"
It was amazing. The whole cast was on their top game and it really showed. The show seemed like it was in great shape after seeing the first act, and I was excited for the second act.

Intermission
Was introduced to and a little starstruck by LMM. He's a great guy and was so proud of his show. He couldn't stop talking about Chris.

"Carnival del Barrio"
Bianca also rocked this song! Andrea Burns IS Daniela, but Bianca runs a close second.

"Everything I Know"
Janet was amazing here too, and I got chills in some parts. I love this song.

"Champagne"
Marcy was truly acting her hardest because I felt like she truly did love Usnavi. She was amazing throughout this whole show, and this song kind of put the button on her performance.

Curtain Call
Lin and a producer brought Chris flowers and he got an extra bow. Courtney Reed along with many other cast members were crying, and it really was a special moment.

Stage door:
I think this was the first time that someone got more exit-from-the-SD applause than Corbin Bleu! Everyone at the SD tonight was there for Chris, and it was really nice that people came out and supported him, and they weren't just tourists there to see Corbin.

Overall, the experience was amazing! ITH is gonna miss Chris Jackson, and the show is in pretty good shape. Sad that Janet is also leaving, and Corbin, but best of luck to Kyle, Jordin, and Clifton. Oh forgot to mention, I sat in row F of the right orchestra a few seats in and the view was awesome. You could see everything perfectly and the seats weren't that expensive.

-Shrekster
Updated On: 8/19/10 at 09:51 PM

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#2In the Heights 8/15/10 Review
Posted: 8/19/10 at 9:58pm

I'm so jealous! Glad to see the show hasn't aged since it opening. It has been over a year I watched and I just haven't had the time even though I live close to the city.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#2In the Heights 8/15/10 Review
Posted: 8/19/10 at 10:03pm

Lin and a producer brough Chris flowers and he got an extra bow.

Do you know which producer? Because I'd heard elsewhere that it was Chris Jackson's wife that brought him flowers with Lin?

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#3In the Heights 8/15/10 Review
Posted: 8/19/10 at 10:24pm

Oh I'm not sure. I assumed it was, but does his wife have red hair?

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#4In the Heights 8/15/10 Review
Posted: 8/19/10 at 10:36pm

Yes his wife has red hair....She was the one who gave Chris the flowers. Thank you for the review! I saw the matinee and Chris definately gave it his all on the last day! :)

rmusic11322
#5In the Heights 8/15/10 Review
Posted: 8/19/10 at 10:47pm

Thanks for the review. It'll be really weird hearing, "You ain't got no skills," when it's not his voice.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#6In the Heights 8/15/10 Review
Posted: 8/20/10 at 1:29am

I agree with the original poster. I feel Marcy Harriel has greatly improved since the first time I saw her.

Videos