News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?

WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/16/10 at 11:46pm

My first time at THE VERGE and some questions to those who have seen it before me:

- Is it typical for crew guys to move scenery in addition to scenery on tracks?

- Is it typical for 15% of the audience to leave at intermission?

- Is it typical for applause after most of the numbers being non-existent/unenthusiastic?

WHAT A WASTE OF TALENT!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/16/10 at 11:47pm

1. Yes. On the track? Only if there's a problem.
2. I rarely see large amounts of people leave.
3. Depends on the audience. The older crowds are tough. But I've been in some younger enthusiastic audiences there.
Updated On: 12/16/10 at 11:47 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 8:23am

Those poor actors must be feeling so stranded.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ndrwmls10
#3WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 8:27am

Proffessionals work with what they have and give their best. I've heard the indvidual performances are great and that it isn't as terrible as is suggested, but what do I know. I haven't seen it.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 9:21am

I've seen the show three times, and the applause has always been scant--even in early previews, before the poor word of mouth had really set in. The only numbers that got a big hand were "Model Behavior" and "Invisible," and even that wasn't always a guarantee.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#5WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 9:59am

I just bought tickets to this last week and I am excited to see it, even with what I have read on here.
I want to see Patti and Sheri and see this show for myself.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#6WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 10:34am

Some people are as enthusiastic about good performers/bad material as they are about good performers/good material. For them, it's more about the actor than the work.

Other people can be a bit more difficult to please.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 10:39am

Other than all that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#8WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:07am

newintown- that is how I feel. I have had the pleasure of seeing Miss LuPone in Sweeney Todd and Gypsy, and was sadden when my budget did not allow a trip to NYC to see this. Then, as if a Christmas miracle, my work is sending me to NYC, so my only expense is the ticket!

musicalperson17
#9WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:20am

does anyone else thing that they could have really improved this with an out of town tryout?

Holbee
#10WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:27am

When I saw it on the last preview I was actually surprised by the lack of applause at numbers. The scenes all got tremendous reactions laughs-wise. But not the songs. But what really surprised me was the lack of standing ovation. Now, I liked the show very much, while recognizing its problems, and I had heard the Internet gossip and blackballing. But I was very surprised at the lack of applause-related reaction.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:34am

I was at the last preview, and that was actually one of the most enthusiastic audiences I have experienced there. That, an early preview, and surprisingly last Saturday evening without Patti and Stokes were the most enthusiastic. The three other times I've seen the show, the audience was absolutely DEAD.

Q
#12WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:39am

"The three other times I've seen the show, the audience was absolutely DEAD."

Then again, maybe they were the ones who were actually awake.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:41am

Nah, they were all 100 years old.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#14WOMEN ON THE VERGE tonight...is this typical?
Posted: 12/17/10 at 11:47am

I think it's important to point out, too, that many of the songs don't have a "button," end on a non-rhyming word or go right into dialogue so they don't necessarily have an appropriate moment for applause afterward.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Videos