News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#1Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 3:49pm

Is this old news? Sorry if it's been discussed already.
Link

....but the world goes 'round

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#2Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 3:50pm

I did not get to see it so I am thrilled!

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 3:51pm

Yippie!

Now, I'm debating between pre-ordering it from amazon.com for $19.99 or getting it from PBS for whatever they're asking. Amazon is the cheaper option but PBS needs more help.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 1/31/11 at 03:51 PM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 4:10pm

NJN isn't airing the special until June

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#4Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 4:19pm

Got the Blu-Ray from Amazon UK and it's incredible!
You can now order it from Amazon US too.
Link

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 1/31/11 at 04:19 PM

kec Profile Photo
kec
#5Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 8:23pm

It's not old news, the press release only came out today.

Alfie Boe (Valjean) tweeted on Saturday that he had "done some presenting for PBS" and mentioned the show was going to air in March.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#6Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 8:46pm

YAY! Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11 I can't wait!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 8:51pm

Odd that it's airing after the U.S. release of the DVD.

Typically one of the reasons PBS can get people to pay more for the DVD's during the pledge break is that for a little while, it's the only place to obtain said DVD.

jdtp12
#8Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 9:15pm

adamgreer, Didn't the Sondheim Birthday Concert premier after the DVD was released as well? Or am I mistaken?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#9Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 9:23pm

Typically one of the reasons PBS can get people to pay more for the DVD's during the pledge break is that for a little while, it's the only place to obtain said DVD.

That hasn't been so much the case these days. All of the ones lately have been available before the pledge drive. I'm a Celtic Thunder fan and their DVDs always come out before the pledge drive. Their new DVD comes out on February 22 but the guys won't be in the US promoting it on PBS until March.

These days the only reason to get DVDs from PBS is to specifically help PBS.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 9:30pm

I stand corrected, then.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#11Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 9:37pm

Which leads to the question I posed earlier. Is it better to buy it on Amazon.com and save the money or help PBS and spend more but have some of it be tax deductible.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#12Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 1/31/11 at 10:42pm

I'm buying from Amazon just because I want to get it sooner.

If PBS had it first, I'd probably buy from them.

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#13Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/4/11 at 9:51am

I didn't see this listed anywhere else- but you can already rent or buy this on iTunes! I'm watching now!

chickfila
#14Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/4/11 at 9:59am

Is it the full show or an abridged version like the 10th Anniversary concert?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/4/11 at 10:30am

It's the post 10th anniversary, 3 hour version of the show.

That's the only version of the show that's performed now.

Now, who knows how PBS will edit it (especially if there are pledge breaks), but the DVD is the complete 3 hour show. Updated On: 2/4/11 at 10:30 AM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#16Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/19/11 at 10:03pm

Channel thirteen in NYC has their prices up.

2 CD Set: Les Miserables Live 2010 Cast $75.00

Blu-Ray Disc: Les Miserables 25th Anniversary $120.00

COMBO 2 CD Set & Blu Ray Disc Les Mis 25th Anniversary $185.00

COMBO: 2 CD set & DVD Les Mis 25th Anniversary $185.00

DVD: Les Miserables 25th Anniversary $120.00
thirteen

Miss B. L. T. Down Profile Photo
Miss B. L. T. Down
#17Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/20/11 at 7:20am

Yay! *Happy Dance*

Love Changes NOTHING

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/20/11 at 11:32am

It should be noted that the live CD cast recording is the not the concert cast. It is the London touring cast, with John Owen Jones as Jean Valjean (who did a stint as Valjean in the revival).

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#19Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/20/11 at 11:57am

"It's the post 10th anniversary, 3 hour version of the show.

That's the only version of the show that's performed now."

Actually isn't the touring production that was playing at Papermill Playhouse an abridged version? I heard they shaved 20 mins from the show and re-orchestrated, no?

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#20Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/20/11 at 3:19pm

No, the current tour, which launched at Papermill, was still 3 hours long.

It has the new orchestrations (by Chris Jahnke) which are being incorporated into the original London production, which was the only production still using the outdated original orchestrations.

willep
#21Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 2/20/11 at 3:42pm

"It's the post 10th anniversary, 3 hour version of the show.

That's the only version of the show that's performed now."

I don't really know what that means, but I know that there were some scenes missing from the 25th Anniversary Concert that I have seen performed. Most notably was Gavroche's death.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#22Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/5/11 at 7:45pm

Bringing this back to the top since it will be on tomorrow night!!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#23Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/5/11 at 10:13pm

Or now, depending on where you are.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

kec Profile Photo
kec
#24Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 7:37am

Very true Lizzie -- people in Chicago have already seen it. Apparently their PBS station aired it the same time that the touring production was in town.

Videos