News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11- Page 3

Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#50Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:03pm

Spork, I agree about the cuts. I do like though that they are adding in bits that weren't in the first concert and that they ditched the the text at the bottom of the screen that told you what was going on. That was the main part of the first concert that bothered me to no end.

I think that boe is a great actor. Considering that he is an opera singer, singing while acting should not be anything new to him.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Mattbrain
#51Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:05pm

How come the keys got transposed a million steps down in the audio conversion?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

SporkGoddess
#52Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:05pm

It's not his acting per se but more his acting choices, if that makes any sense.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

sparrman
#53Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:13pm

"How come the keys got transposed a million steps down in the audio conversion?"

Not a million, but at least a half step...On my TV, Boe was singing "Bring Him Home" in A flat. Couldn't imagine why that big true tenor voice would need the song transposed down. But on YouTube, exact same clip from the same concert, it's in A natural. Very strange.

wonkit
#54Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:46pm

Alfie Boe is wonderful. He and Norm Lewis just convinced me to go on Amazon.com and get the dvd of this performance.

sparrman
#55Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:53pm

I must say I'm amazed at what a poor singer Ramin Karimloo is. He seems to have only one octave, the upper end of Enjolras' range, and anything lower he drones out, completely out of tune. This is the best Lloyd Webber could do for Love Never Dies? Amazing.
Updated On: 3/7/11 at 10:53 PM

Patti4President
#56Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 11:10pm

This concert is disappointing. With the exception of Norm Lewis, I feel that everyone else is a step down from the 10th Anniversary cast. Why make another DVD with a sub par cast?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#57Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/6/11 at 11:11pm

Apparently you weren't making the decisions. Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

eatlasagna
#58Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 12:02am

maybe it's just me... but the kid playing Gavroche is annoying me! there's something so fake about his acting... he's just trying too hard and it's coming off as annoying... he's the Jerome Pradom of the 25th Anniversary Concert! haha

ace33
#59Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 12:43am

Confession: i have never seen Les Miz in any format excpet known the two popular songs 'on my own' and 'dream a dream'(yes im new to the theatre scene)... with that said, this blew me away!

I actually found Nick Jonas voice to be very crisp and smooth and very easy on the ears, his acting was awful but hey, its a 'concert' version right?

Did they air the encores at the end on PBS? (i watched the DVD) When all the Jean Valjeans sang 'Bring Him Home', i had goosebumps.

really wish they would have done On My Own and Dream a Dream again as well... wait, yeah they should have just done the whole thing again and again! i love it!!!

ThankstoPhantom
#60Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 2:38am

Katie Hall is incredible. So present, spontaneous, and she really communicates a subtextual life for her Cosette.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#61Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 8:36am

Wow, Nick Jonas really is THAT bad. I give him credit for trying to push himself, but I blame the producers for putting him in a production that is preserved for posterity. They sure don't need his name to sell Les Miserables.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#62Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 8:58am

I didn't watch the PBS airing last night since I was at the James Barbour concert but I did watch the DVD a few days ago.

As has been stated already Nick Jonas was the weak link in the cast. I don't think he was terrible and he's fine in what he does usually. But the rest of the cast was simply several steps above him. Though, it might have been interesting to see how he fared in an actual performance.

Standouts for me were Boe, Karimloo, & Fraser.

As for some PBS stations not airing it they might be airing it later. As I mentioned previously in this thread NJN in Trenton isn't airing it until June. It was explained to me that they're not allowed to air things like this until after the larger PBS stations air it first. So, that may be the case for other stations as well.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

massofmen
#63Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:02am

excuse me but how in the hell is Lea Salonga not a "standout". She was probably the only one who could actually sing and act her role in that concert save for MAYBE the eponine and the cosette.

. NOrm Lewis couldn't act any better than he did in the horrible revival and his voice has gotten weak. Everything was in his head voice. And anyone who calls him an actor is blind.
That concert was a joke ending with the horrid NIck JOnas. My dead grandmother could have sung better than that. I have seen drunk karaokee singers do a better job of empty chairs.
ugh, pathetic on all accounts.

justafan2
#64Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:23am

I enjoyed the full, rich orchestra--which was lacking in the revival. Some of the voices stood out---others maybe not as strong---but an overall good production. (IMO)

ThankstoPhantom
#65Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 11:50am

I will say that I prefer the 10th Anniversary Concert. Sorry, Les Mis world! I find it more focused and in service of celebration. This, in general, seemed overblown. There were good performances throughout, though. As I mentioned above, Hall is very good, and so is Salonga.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 3/7/11 at 11:50 AM

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#66Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 12:17pm

I loved it, well, everything except the Jonas kid. Everyone was singing and acting circles around him, which made him seem worse. I thought his voice was weak and he alwasys had that same look on his face. I thought Boe was INCREDIBLE and I really enjoyed the gentleman playing Thenadier. Oh and I thought Frances Ruffelle looked HAWT! LOL

SporkGoddess
#67Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 12:27pm

I loved Katie Hall as well. GORGEOUS upper register. I wish she'd been paired with a more worthy duet partner, haha.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

justafan2
#68Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 12:56pm

Frances Ruffelle---she was in it? (I really didn't look at the cast list) Did they bring her in with Colm to sing with the cast? (Obviously I missed a few spots of the performance)

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#69Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 1:22pm

They brought her and a number of the original cast members to sing an encore of "One Day More" at the end. Here's a link to it on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFMIQumXS0

Jon
#70Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 1:28pm

The young ladies playing Cosette and Eponine were breathtakingly gorgeous. And Lea Salonga is looking damned fine at the age of 40!

justafan2
#71Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 2:02pm

Thank-U, CockeyedOptimist! I loved seeing it!

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#72Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 2:05pm

Gemma Wardle was one of the factory girls wasn't she? I thought I saw her and got really excited. She was my first Eponine!

theminutepast
#73Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 5:42pm

Frances Ruffelle needs to go on What Not To Wear for women over forty.

sparrman
#74Les Miz to air on PBS 3/6/11
Posted: 3/7/11 at 5:56pm

"The young ladies playing Cosette and Eponine were breathtakingly gorgeous."

I agree about Eponine; Samantha Barks is indeed quite gorgeous. Were I Marius, I would have picked Eponine over Cosette any day! (And apparently, if rumors are true, Nick Jonas DID.)
Updated On: 3/7/11 at 05:56 PM

Videos