pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 65

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1600Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/4/19 at 11:31am

The production at The Fulton is a newly staged version. They are actually closer to the original production than the revival. Full sets and costumes.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1601Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/6/19 at 10:11pm

https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/Chicago/Overview   Tom Hewitt returns as  Billy Flynn beginning on Feb. 11th.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1602Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/19 at 6:56pm

Donna Marie Asbury will go on as Velma Kelly on Feb. 25 and 26 (2019).  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#1603Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/19 at 7:59pm

My friend saw CHICAGO Saturday evening and AFW was out and her understudy was Velma (forgot the name but she told me she was great!) It was also SOLD OUT with folks standing at the back. Great to see this show still selling out!

Tom Hewitt was also an amazing Billy Flynn!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1604Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/19 at 9:02pm

Saw the tour today in New Jersey. Such a delight to see the energy back in this show. My last visit with the show was on Broadway in 2011 and it just felt so stale & lifeless. AFW was Velma, the ensemble had been with the show way too long. I then promised to not return unless I could see the tour or a different cast on Broadway. Though some of them ensemble is new on Broadway, I can't drag myself to the Ambassador to see AFW 8 years later still sleepwalking through the show. It would be such a pleasure if Terra C got a long term gig on Broadway playing Velma. Such great energy & passion for the role. Perfectly executed choreography along with being paired up with Dylis Croman. The Broadway cast could take notes from the tour. It's been over 10 years since I've seen the show this fresh & choreography so crisp & clean. Kudos to the tour cast of Chicago. Catch this cast if it's coming near you in the next few months. It appears they have a month break now and don't resume until March 19. The tour only runs until June 13. I haven't seen the tour pop up on any schedules for the 2019-2020 season. Also, when was the last equity tour to be a bus & truck tour? The remainder of this tour has a lot of one nighters. Very odd for an equity tour.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jakeevan942
#1605Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/17/19 at 10:09pm

I also saw the Cellblock company in Jersey this weekend, and agree that the cast is uniformly fantastic, and all seem to be thrilled to be in the show. If you happen to have family overseas, this company, with a local star as Roxie, are performing the show in Tel Aviv for two weeks of this four-week domestic layoff.

And the current tour of Jersey Boys is also an equity bus and truck-Both are on low-tier SETA contracts, paying not much more per week than the better paying non-equity tours, and, with small casts, and unit sets, have made it economically viable to keep an equity cast with a crazy schedule of one-nighters and split weeks.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1606Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/18/19 at 11:36am

https://chicagothemusical.com/new-york/internationaltour/   It is strange that the Tel Aviv stop is not mentioned here.  I wonder if the current Cellblock tour cast will also go to Japan and Australia?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1607Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/18/19 at 1:29pm

The US tour typically tours Asia.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1608Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/20/19 at 7:22pm

J. London will be Mary Sunshine from March 16-24, 2019, while Ryan Lowe goes on vacation.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1609Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/24/19 at 2:14pm

Lana Jean Gordon (Velma Kelly) will join the current Cellblock Tour beginning March 19 in Roanoke, Virginia.  I'm seeing the tour on its last stop in Houston, Texas on June 4 and 5.  I haven't been to Houston since I last saw "Chicago" in 2011 (when I saw the show on one weekend in Dallas and the next weekend in Houston).  https://chicagothemusical.com/new-york/ustour/

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1610Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/3/19 at 7:29am

Hello, would someone please translate the dates?  Thank you, Roman Castillo Jr. in Austin, Texas

Updated On: 3/3/19 at 07:29 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1611Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/3/19 at 8:55am

It just says March 2019.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1612Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/3/19 at 4:52pm

The cast will be flying out this week and return on March 17th.  I wonder what the weather is like in Tel Aviv?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1613Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/4/19 at 7:02pm

Christy Brinkley is joining the current Cellblock Tour in Phoenix (March 28-31), Las Vegas (April 10-14) and at the Ambassador Theatre NYC (April 18--May 12).  https://chicagothemusical.com/new-york/ustour/

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1614Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/4/19 at 7:26pm

it's interesting because the tour has a random one night stop(Kennewick, WA - April 8) in between Phoenix & Las Vegas that Brinkley isn't doing. And there's a gap on Broadway between March 25 - April 16 without a Roxie currently. Curious who they'll bring in for those 3 weeks+? Or they could just have Dylis Croman come in from the tour and fill in. Also, due to Brinkley joining, they add two more performances/dates in Phoenix.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1615Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/4/19 at 7:27pm

There is a new Mama Morton for a two week limited run.   https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Haley-Swindal-Joins-CHICAGO-Tonight-as-Matron-Mama-Morton-20190304

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1616Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/5/19 at 7:20pm

I wish I could see Amy Spanger as Roxie Hart.  She would be an ideal fill-in on certain dates.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1617Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/6/19 at 4:40pm

Charlotte D'Amboise will return as Roxie for multiple dates.   (Telecharge)

Veronica Dunne as Roxie Hart (thru 3/24)
Charlotte d’Amboise as Roxie Hart (3/25 - 4/17; 5/27 - 6/16)
Christie Brinkley as Roxie Hart (4/18 - 5/12)
Ryoko Yonekura as Roxie Hart (7/1 - 7/14)
Amra-Faye Wright as Velma Kelly (thru 7/14)
Tom Hewitt as Billy Flynn (thru 5/2)
Raymond Bokhour as Amos Hart (thru 6/30)
Haley Swindal as Matron "Mama" Morton (thru 3/17)
R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine (thru 3/10)

MannPhan24601
#1618Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/6/19 at 6:48pm

Wonder if they're getting a stuntcast Billy in May

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1619Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/6/19 at 9:33pm

.        There are quite a few available Billys, but it would be great if the charismatic Ryan Silverman gets another shot at the role.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1620Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/7/19 at 9:44pm

Donna Marie Asbury is appearing at 54 Below!  She was a touring Evita at age 19!!  I wish I could be there.  https://54below.com/events/donna-marie-asbury/

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1621Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/10/19 at 11:03pm

A bit of "Chicago" news.  Donna Marie Asbury will be on vacation for 2 weeks.  Also, in a surprising bit of news, Jason Patrick Sands will be leaving the show on March 31, 2019.  It is the same day that "Anastasia" is closing. (The two are related.)  He's been with the show for almost 11 years.  As a matter of fact, Jason has been working on Broadway continuously from Legally Blonde to the present time.  He is currently the understudy for the roles of:  Fred Casely, Amos Hart and Billy Flynn.  Jason will be involved in a new career in producing and directing film.  Best of luck to  him!

Updated On: 3/10/19 at 11:03 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1622Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/17/19 at 11:47am

On this day, 8 years ago, I saw "Chicago" for the very first time on St. Patrick's Day 2011.  I grew to admire its simple staging and use of black to great effect. At the stage door, I met Ryan Lowe, Jason Patrick Sands and Leigh Zimmerman.  So many memories!  

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 11:47 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1623Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/31/19 at 7:43am

Happy trails to Jason Patrick Sands as he plays his final performance  today in "Chicago".  He has been with the show since around 2008 (right after he played Don in "A Chorus Line"Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread.  He embarks on a new career to direct and produce film and digital media on a full-time basis.  I wonder who'll will replace him, as JPS played multiple roles (Billy Flynn u/s, Amos Hart u/s and Fred Casely u/s to name a few.)  For the moment, Brian O Brien will be the principal Billy Flynn u/s.  I know that Danny Gutierrez has experience playing Billy Flynn on tour.  

tomwsjr
#1624Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/31/19 at 9:06am

Ms. Asbury was an outstanding Evita. What made her performance so exciting was that she didn’t have the look/style that all other Evita’s at the time had.