BABY IT'S YOU like

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#1BABY IT'S YOU like
Posted: 5/2/11 at 11:02am

I saw this last night expecting it to be totally awful. It wasn't...I had a real fun filled evening, with a pretty much filled house that was well into it and gave a standing O at the end.

Why the hatred for this show, when I thought it was just as enjoyable as Rock of Ages.

The costumes were great (Tony nom for sure) and Beth Leavel was fabulous.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2BABY IT'S YOU like
Posted: 5/2/11 at 11:10am

Hey, I know people who liked LEPRECHAUN 6, so I don't judge.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#2BABY IT'S YOU like
Posted: 5/2/11 at 1:30pm

I didn't particularly care for Rock of Ages, either, but at least it had a clear book and scenes that actually ended so the audience could applaud.

And I actually like some jukebox musicals, too. All Shook Up was charming, even if it was way too small for the theater it wound up in. Mamma Mia isn't without its charms and Jersey Boys does the Behind the Music thing Baby, It's You tries to do without forgetting it's a stage musical. I didn't even mind Million Dollar Quartet because at least the set design wasn't so distracting that I couldn't just sit back and enjoy the music.

If you enjoyed the show, I'm glad. Baby, It's You is definitely splitting audiences if the "that was so much fun" crowd hanging out after the show was to be believed. Me? I was in the "oh, good, they're doing a megamix. Quickly, to the exit!" group talking in hushed whispers about how awful it was.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#3BABY IT'S YOU like
Posted: 5/2/11 at 2:17pm

I also saw Baby It's You! last night and was surprised by how enjoyable it was. I was expecting it to be much, much worse after reading some of the comments about it here.

The only thing I thought was truly ridiculous was the doubling. I mean, didn't the white guy and girl play young lovers in the first scene and then brother and sister in the second? That's kind of inappropriate. The singing and energy were terrific though.

I'm not going to defend the show on any high artistic measures, but I'd much rather sit through shows like Baby It's You! than dreary plays about how life never gets better for anyone or joyless musicals like Wonderland.

Porter2 Profile Photo
Porter2
#4BABY IT'S YOU like
Posted: 5/2/11 at 5:28pm

I must admit, Baby It's You! was certainly enjoyable enough, but the only strong elements of the show were the technical aspects (the costumes by Lizz Wolf are GREAT) and the music, orchestrated by Don Sebesky. The cast was okay, especially those Shirelles ladies. It could've been MUCH better if they brought in a script doctor.

“You need three things in the theater - the play, the actors and the audience, - and each must give something.” (Kenneth Haigh)
Updated On: 5/7/11 at 05:28 PM

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#5BABY IT'S YOU like
Posted: 5/2/11 at 7:37pm

So, music, costumes, cast good=lots of tourists wanting to see this. Isn't Mamma Mia pretty much the same formula and look how long it's been making tons of $$$.

Videos