pixeltracker

If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...

If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...

Chad Eberle
#1If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 12:56pm

...which would you choose, and why? I have one slot open for my upcoming trip to NYC over Labor Day (already have tickets for War Horse, Priscilla, and Book of Mormon). I have been debating the pros and cons of Sister Act and Anything Goes and just can't make up my mind. So I'm seeking opinions here. Persuade me either way, please.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 12:58pm

I haven't seen Sister Act yet but I loved Anything Goes so much. Sutton is giving a fabulous performance and the show is so well choreographed and directed. It's just a joy from start to finish.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 12:58pm

Sister Act. See the new piece of theatre. You can see Anything Goes at any community theatre anytime.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:05pm

Probably SISTER ACT, because it is a new show. But I suggest you try to squeeze in ANYTHING GOES in there as well.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bwaydreamer
#4If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:36pm

Anything Goes easily. Great production of a great show. Sister Act is not good

chickfila
#5If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:38pm

Sister Act. I saw Anything Goes and found it dated and lacked "ooomph." Not sure why - I saw the 87 production and loved it. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt?

pli1018
#6If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:49pm

I had a much more enjoyable evening at Sister Act, though Anything Goes is still worth seeing.

Ed_Mottershead
#7If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 2:19pm

Anything Goes, hands down. Sister Act is same old, same old, same old. Anything Goes is great entertainment. BTW, don't bet your life savings on seeing Priscilla -- I loved it, but its lack of Tony nominations, particulary in the Best Musical category, may do some damage at the box office.

BroadwayEd

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#8If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 2:38pm

SISTER ACT! I really liked it, and Patina Miller, no matter what anyone is saying about how great Sutton is, is deserving of the Tony. She's a monster, especially for her debut. The whole cast is great, and you'll have a fun night at the theater.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#9If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 2:41pm

I have never understood threads like this as chances are 50% of those who respond will say one thing, and the other 50% will say another. Leaving the OP still having to make that decision. You can't go wrong with either show. Both entertaining, though both different.

bwayfan7000
#10If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 2:43pm

It would be a really tough choice for me. Both are pure, unadulterated fun. I would say go with your gut. Choose whichever one grabs you the most, ignoring logic or pros/cons. If I had a gun to my head, though, I would choose Sister Act because it's new and because of Patina. Though, of course, Anything Goes has Sutton. Very tough decision.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Chad Eberle
#11If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 3:13pm

Kalimba, I started the thread because I am honestly torn on which show to spend my money on. Because I live in Columbus and don't get to NY that often, I have to really analyze my options and try to make the most informed decision I can. That's why I am soliciting advice from people who have seen either show or (ideally) both shows. Also, shows are so expensive nowadays, that I have to be very discerning about what I spend my money on.

I admit that from what I know of the plot, Anything Goes doesn't appeal to me as much as Sister Act. But I keep coming back to it because of Sutton and because people are saying it's a very well done revival. How much does the plot of Sister Act deviate from the plot of the movie?

I really hope Priscilla doesn't tank and close over the summer because I am looking forward to seeing it. I am shocked that they nominated CMIYC for Best Musical over Priscilla.

bwayfan7000
#12If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 3:44pm

Other than the change of era (from the '90s in movie to the '70s/disco era in the show), the plot of Sister Act remains the same. If your gut is telling you Sister Act, go with that. Decision made.

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#13If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 3:50pm

Anything Goes. It's timeless.

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

Chad Eberle
#14If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 4:20pm

Telecharge will give me Row A for Anything Goes. I've never been in the Stephen Sondheim theatre, though. For those who know this theater, is first row too close?

bwayfan7000
#15If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 4:22pm

I sat front row for Anything Goes. I enjoyed it at times, but there were moments (particularly the dance numbers) where I wished I were farther back.

Chad Eberle
#16If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 4:26pm

Thanks for confirming my initial hunch that sitting farther back would give a better perspective. The next best thing offered is Row BB (2nd row) of the mezzanine. This is equates to being as far back as Row M (12 rows back). So now I'm wondering is that going to be too far away?

bwayfan7000
#17If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 4:27pm

If it's central-ish, go with that.

Chad Eberle
#18If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 4:35pm

I really appreciate your feedback on this! Thanks so much.

bwayfan7000
#19If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 4:38pm

You couldn't go wrong either way. You'll love Anything Goes and you have a great seat location.

TheKandyLife Profile Photo
TheKandyLife
#20If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 7:37pm

Sister Act I found really great fun! Entertained through and through! Patina has the ebst voice on Broadway this season, in my oppinion. The show made me smile and got me a little teary. =D

Anything Goes I felt like leaving, as much as I love Sutton Foster (which is a lot) It was very boring. Great music, which was nailed to a tee! (tea?) But I was very bored =(

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#21If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 9:18pm

I sat front row of the mezz for Anything Goes and I thought it was very good for the production

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

mjroberts93
#22If you had to choose between Sister Act and Anything Goes...
Posted: 5/4/11 at 9:21pm

Anything Goes. Sutton Foster is amazing. She'll definetly win the Tony

Videos