pixeltracker

Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?- Page 7

Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#150Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/12/11 at 2:03pm

I thought the single mutual agreement the Hatfields and McCoys shared was that despite his attitude, Riedel was so darned accurate. This only reinforces my trust issues.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Ed_Mottershead
#151Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/12/11 at 2:20pm

A little late to bring this up, but I take issue with Riedel's comment that Porgy's demise will assure that Follies will take the Tony for Best Musical Revival. There's a little item called Evita due here in March, not to mention Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, Clear Day and Funny Girl. Let's see if Follies can brave the months of January and February before starting to make any predictions. IMO.

BroadwayEd

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#152Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/12/11 at 2:26pm

Let's see if Follies can brave the months of January and February before starting to make any predictions.

Since FOLLIES is and has always been a limited run, the real questions is whether it will be remembered against currently running shows in April/May. It seems like when you're trying to forecast award nominations, every performance is THE great performance until the next great performance comes along.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#153Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/12/11 at 2:32pm

Follies is a strictly limited run thru the very beginning of January

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#154Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/14/11 at 5:14pm

Looks like its on...

P&B Updated On: 9/14/11 at 05:14 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#155Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/14/11 at 11:56pm

Meanwhile, one of the producers, Jeffrey Richards, said in an interview that director Diane Paulus and her creative team were continuing to consider changes to the show; some alterations that they mulled during rehearsals, such as a new ending, were dropped during previews last month. Mr. Richards said it was too soon to know if those or other changes would be included in the Broadway version.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#156Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/15/11 at 12:16am

Yay! I'm just hoping for a recording. Sondheim can suck it.

marknyc Profile Photo
marknyc
#157Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/15/11 at 12:40am

Yeah - I can't wait to own a recording that documents the complete destruction of one of the greatest scores of the 20th century.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
marknyc Profile Photo
marknyc
#159Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/15/11 at 2:50am

Deleted, since the post I was replying to (above) was deleted.
Updated On: 9/15/11 at 02:50 AM

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#160Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/15/11 at 5:50am

The NYTimes article about PORGY AND BESS in today's paper suggests that changes will continue to be made. If this means re-creating the original orchestrations, I will gladly see it. Otherwise, I will skip it. What a business!

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#161Riedel: PORGY AND BESS canceling Broadway run?
Posted: 9/15/11 at 5:51am

Deleted

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 9/15/11 at 05:51 AM