Need help picking shows Please!

WickedRENTAwakening Profile Photo
WickedRENTAwakening
#1Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/27/11 at 1:16am

I am going to be visiting New York for the first time next month and I am beyond excited! I will only be in the City for 7 days so I have time for 9 shows total. I have been really frustrated and can’t make the call. I would really appreciate your help with deciding between a few shows. My must-sees are Rent, Wicked, Mamma Mia and Book of Mormon.

I feel obligated to see Memphis because I am a huge Adam Pascal fan but don’t know too much about the musical itself.

I feel like I am missing out by not seeing Follies. Is it really a MUST? And if it is, would you replace it with Anything Goes, Memphis, or Billy Elliot?

I also need help between picking between the following shows on Halloween which is a Monday:
Phantom of the Opera (which I have seen 4 times) or Hedwig and the Angry Inch (which sort of looks too much like a concert with the lack of set changes which may be how it is originally supposed to be. I have only seen the movie.)

As for Mamma Mia, I am debating between fifth row on the side aisle next to center or front row center (has anyone sat in the front row? Is it too close?)

I also wanted to know if the front row limited view for Wicked Row BB seat 5,6 was bad enough to pay the extra $60.00 for mediocre full price tickets.

I have already purchased tickets to see Rent, Spider-Man, Anything Goes and Book of Mormon and I really want to have all my tickets purchased by the end of the week.

This is my current schedule:

Thursday: Rent
Friday: Wicked
Saturday: Memphis
Mamma Mia
Sunday: Anything Goes
Monday: Phantom or Hedwig
Tuesday: Spider-Man
Wednesday: Billy Elliot
Book of Mormon

Thank you very much for your time!

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#2Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/27/11 at 2:05pm

See Follies while there. this is a gem of a production with an outstanding cast, Mamma Mia will always be there. Updated On: 9/27/11 at 02:05 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/27/11 at 2:10pm

Follies is a must, and if you're an Adam Pascal fan, you really should see Memphis. You can familiarize yourself with Memphis via Netflix instant viewing.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Ajpuppypal Profile Photo
Ajpuppypal
#3Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/27/11 at 2:15pm

Follies is truly a must, i would replace Mamma Mia(movie is far better) Memphis, or Billy Elliot

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/27/11 at 2:38pm

If you can replace Mama Mia with Follies, do it. Follies is a must see, in my opinion.

Are you talking about the Hedwig at New World Stages?

Just give the world Love.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#5Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/27/11 at 3:50pm

If you have never seen Wicked before, definitely the extra $60 is worth it. If getting partial view, get seats further back.

I haven't seen Follies yet, but I definitely would not get rid of Anything Goes. I'd say Billy Elliot or Mamma Mia! are worth trading for Follies.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#6Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/27/11 at 5:31pm

If you have seen Phantom 4 times already, I wouldn't waste your time simply because your are seeing it on Broadway. It sounds like you are going to be there right when Hugh Jackman's show is starting. I would do that. Get tickets asap. They keep raising the prices. I've seen two price hikes already. Bonnie and Clyde starts on Nov. 4th if you are still in town. It looks great! I'm seeing Follies in Nov, and have heard great things.

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#7Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/28/11 at 11:46am

So what have you decided to see?

WickedRENTAwakening
#8Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 9/30/11 at 10:36pm

Hello and thanks to every single one of you who responded! It really helped me make my decision. I decided I would catch Billy Elliot on tour next year and see Follies while I’m there instead.

I went with an unfortunate time slot for Wicked because it had the best availability for limited view seating since I have seen it more times then I’ve been required to see my anger management councilor judge Wallace assigned me (JK) these past two or three years.

Dose a Wednesday matinee usually mean I will end up seeing a stand by or understudy? I know it is a stupid question but just want to be prepared.

I still can’t pick between Phantom or Hedwig and Phantom hitting movie theaters for a few nights is not helping them. Yes I am only seeing phantom because Its Broadway and I heard that It is required. Hedwig is that one night at New World Stages and seat availability is bad but manageable. The idea really amuses me but If I feel like I could have seen something else after it's over It would be disappointing but I guess it's life.

As for Follies I pushed stuff around to make sure I attend a night performance. Would you say row N Center Orchestra or Row E or F on the side Orchestra (4 seats in from the aisle) would be more appropriate for this show? I f I do side orchestra I can have my seats of preference for Mamma Mia. I am one of those sick people who are picky about seats and seat numbers but can’t afford premium seating.

I have currently purchased tickets for all shows but Mamma Mia, Follies and Phantom/Hedwig which depends on what seat I go with for Follies.

I can’t believe this is actually happening. This was all inspired by desire to see RENT’s revival. Rent literally helped my heart grow by two centimeters, which is major Need help picking shows Please!        . Dose anyone know of any real life sentimental locations that are still open to pass by or visit?

Thank you all very much now I can focus on more important things like putting my room in alphabetical order (JK.) ? I sincerely appreciate it and so do the two people I am traveling with.

Current Schedule
Thursday
8:00 PM RENT
Friday
8:00 PM Follies
Saturday
2:00 PM Memphis
8:00 PM Mamma Mia
Sunday
3:00 PM Anything Goes!
Monday
8:00 PM Hedwig or Phantom
Tuesday
7:30 PM Spiderman: Turn off the Dark
Wednesday
2:00 PM Wicked
7:00 PM The Book of Mormon

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#9Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 10/2/11 at 12:48am

I say skip Hedwig and skip Phantom and spend Monday at "Sleep No More" instead.

Mr. Wonderful
#10Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 10/2/11 at 9:47am

Why are the only "shows" you are looking to see Broadway musicals? You could see plays such as VENUS IN FUR, CHINGLISH, MAN AND BOY,SEMINAR, PRIVATE LIVES and THE MOUNTAINTOP on Broadway. Off Broadway, MOTHERHOOD OUT LOUD is well worth seeing. Although I have not seen these yet, WE LIVE HERE (Manhattan Theatre Club:, BLUE FLOWER (a musical at Second Stage) and THE ATMOSPHERE OF MEMORY (LaByrinth, starring Ellen Burstyn all look very promising.

Think outside the box!

WickedRENTAwakening
#11Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 10/2/11 at 5:25pm

Hello,

charlesjguiteau I tried to buy tickets for Sleep No More but they are currently sold out. Is this the same kind of "Sold Out" Book of Mormon said it was when I paid well over $200 each ticket, then was able to pull up tickets for the exact performance two-weeks later or would you say it would be time to find an alternative? Do you any tips on finding Sleep No More tickets?

Mr. Wonderful I suffer from chronic ADD and though I am sure a play would be amazing and moving. I may combust and my health issuance does not cover that. I love the more commercial and I am slightly ashamed of that. I would have loved to see Private Lives but my last night in New York is November 3rd. I would have really liked to see and meet Kim. Blue Flower is dark Monday or I would have so gone for that as I love Teal Wicks as well.

Would you go with five or six rows from stage in the orchestra four seats from the center aisle or for the seats in the sixteenth row in the center section of the orchestra for Follies?

Thanks again!

charlesjguiteau
#12Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 10/2/11 at 8:05pm

Sorry, no inside info on how to get tix to Sleep No More if sold out. (If you're there the last week in October, they're doing special-invite theme nights that week-- been sold out for a week.)

Also, if you really have chronic ADD, then Sleep No More might not have been the best suggestion anyway.

Next vote is Hedwig, because let's face it, Phantom will still be playing at the Majestic a very LONG way into the future.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#13Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 10/2/11 at 8:29pm

As for Follies, the closer the better. It's a beautiful (read: @#$%-ing GORGEOUS) production and whatever more details you may be able to see, be they in the set or costume design, all is the better for you.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 10/2/11 at 8:45pm

I'd replace Phantom or Hedwig with War Horse. The visuals are stunning and it includes a lot of live music as well. Personally, I think Hedwig works better on film and Phantom will be around a very long time on Broadway and on tour. I don't think there's been any announcement for War Horse to tour.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

charlesjguiteau
#15Need help picking shows Please!
Posted: 10/3/11 at 2:36pm

Sorry Mister Matt, I too loved Warhorse, but the OP was looking for a Monday night option-- Warhorse is dark that night.

Videos