pixeltracker

Favorite Roscoe/ "Beautitul Girls?"

Favorite Roscoe/ "Beautitul Girls?"

After Eight
#1Favorite Roscoe/ "Beautitul Girls?"
Posted: 10/25/11 at 10:31pm

"Beautiful Girls" is my favorite song in Follies, and Roscoe my favorite character in the show, along with Dimitri Weismann, Young Heidi, and Margie.

I was wondering whose version of the song people here prefer.

My own favorite is Arthur Rubin's, of Lincoln Center and Encores.

Now this is one amazing performer.

MermansMan Profile Photo
MermansMan
#2Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/25/11 at 10:42pm

I favor Vahan Khanzadian and the Papermill Cast.

"We'll serve anyone, meaning Anyone and to ANYONE at all!"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/25/11 at 11:00pm

My favorite characters are Kevin the waiter, Dee Dee West and Max Deems.

After Eight
#3Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/25/11 at 11:13pm

"My favorite characters are Kevin the waiter, Dee Dee West and Max Deems."

Mmm.... Interesting.

So who's your favorite Roscoe?

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#4Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/25/11 at 11:43pm

Arthur Rubin does something magical with the piece.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#5Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 12:48am

I have to admit that in all my forty years of obsessing on Follies, I have never once paused to consider who my favorite Roscoe was.

Never once.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 12:55am

My favorite character is Weismann's girlfriend from the Chicago production.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 7:46am

Here's a strange one from the Berlin production...with a young Roscoe and a the kind of endless staircase they used to have in MGM movie musicals:

http://youtu.be/fnAneQudLxQ

After Eight
#8Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 8:30am

Pal Joey,

Thanks for the clip. Strange is indeed the word.

This Roscoe has overtones of the MC in Cabaret. A little creepy. But the ladies and set look great. The orchestra sounds great, too.

FrauleinKost    Profile Photo
FrauleinKost
#9Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 8:37am

best thread ever.

My favorite character is the waiter that Sally hands her invitation to after she makes her entrance.

"I chose and my world was shaken--so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not. You have to move on"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#10Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 8:52am

This is going to be a lovely thread. I'm so glad I came. What we need...is a drink.

SondheimFan5
#11Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 9:07am

My favorite character in Follies is Harry the doorman. He's not actually in the show, they just sing about him.

"Big"
"Fat"
"Young"
"Bald"
"HARRY!"
"YEAH!"

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#12Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 9:32am

What's a Follies?

BroadwayFan12
#13Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 10:13am

My favorite character is a toss-up between Tom and Tim.

FrauleinKost
#14Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 10:28am

I also love Tony, the owner of the dancing and dining establishment that the foursome would frequent back in '41.

"I chose and my world was shaken--so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not. You have to move on"

FrauleinKost
#15Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 10:39am

I want to see/hear more from that German production!! I love hearing scores sung in other languages...

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#16Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 10:42am

In a show filled with stilted and awkward dialogue, Weismann's dialogue is particularly stilted and awkward, and rarely is it more stilted and awkward than when he refers to "the inevitable Roscoe."

It's mad awks.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

FrauleinKost
#17Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 10:49am

I have a question--when was the line "there's a band, free food and drink" changed to "there's a band, food and drink"? It's in the original, but not sure after that (all my Follies stuff is in NY, while I am at the moment in DC)...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#18Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:21pm

Probably for the latest revival. They seem to have gone back to the original script and excised every other line.

That German production is cuh-razy. Stella Deems is split into two characters, played by twins, the order of the Loveland songs is all different, Eartha Kitt always speaks English while everyone else always speaks German. Cuh. Razy.

I forgot to mention my other favorite character is Eddie, the son Phyllis and Ben never had.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:39pm

I want to know what happened to Hattie's 11-year-old nephew Jerome, who reads all of Ben's speeches. What kind of 11-year-old reads a foundation president's speeches?

And what about the book that Ben wrote on "Wilson," which Buddy hasn't read yet. Woodrow, presumably...was Ben for him or against him?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:50pm

And this stage direction and single line from the 1971 script:

WILL WHEELER, sixtyish and portly, does a cartwheel for a photographer.

WILLY WHEELER: I keep my hand in. I keep working.

===

The part was played by Fred Kelly, who was Gene Kelly's brother.

FrauleinKost
#21Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:55pm

I've always really admired Jack, the drummer that Phyllis has a fling with.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#22Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:56pm

And jack, Phyllis's drummer-lover who loved the birthmark under her left breast. When he kissed her there, "one" felt it difficult to breathe.

What happened to Jack?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#23Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 2:01pm

He tried to make off with the silver (once valued at $30,000, but now known to be valued as high as $60,000) but apparently took Phyllis's birthmark instead, since she hasn't mentioned it since the 70s.

What happened to Phyllis's wringing wet panties? Why does she no longer talk about those?

#originalscriptstillthebest
Updated On: 10/26/11 at 02:01 PM

SondheimFan5
#24Favorite Roscoe/
Posted: 10/26/11 at 2:02pm

they changed it to "there's music, food and drink" for this revival for Broadway (because there's a 'piano' onstage for Beautiful Girls). Also changed "my wife, she's a cute blonde" to "strawberry blonde" and Carlotta's "and 1800 people just fell apart" to "and 1800 people laughed their arses off." Don't understand the last change -- why??

Videos