pixeltracker

Bonnie & Clyde deserves better- Page 2

Bonnie & Clyde deserves better

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#25Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 4:46pm

I agree with you there, and I don't sympathize, as I noted above, even when the whining is done in support of shows I thought were good, like Scottsboro, Grey Gardens, and Chaperone (which was a hit, I believe).

A show runs for as long as the masses want it to, and there's no reason to think anything can or should be done about that.
Updated On: 12/12/11 at 04:46 PM

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#26Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 4:46pm

I cannot believe that I actually read someone post that box office receipts are an indication of quality! If that were true then SCOTTSBORO BOYS, BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON, THE WILD PARTY, THE LITTLE DOG LAUGHED, PASSION, RAGTIME, DIRTY BLONDE, RAGS, FOLLIES ('71), PACIFIC OVERTURES, QUEEN OF THE MIST, ETC ETC ETC would all have been much more successful. It makes me laugh that I still am amazed that people here feel that way,
Another point. When you wish for shows to close you are not just wishing for a pice to go away, you are wishing for artists to be put out of work. In this case you are wishing that very talented people who devote the bulk of their career to stage work will be put out of work. Like the show or not, but Jeremy Jordan, Laura Osnes, Clay Elder, Melissa Van Der Schyff, Louis Hobson and the rest of the cast and crew deserve to have a little more respect I think. These are talented, kind, and hardworking people just trying to make a living....much as you I presume.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 4:50pm

I thought Drowsy Chaperone closed at a loss, but I could be wrong.

Just this once.

Because it's Christmas.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#28Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 4:54pm

The Drowsy Chaperone recouped its investment before closing.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Mister Matt
#29Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 4:57pm

I'm wrong. Merry Christmas!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#30Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 5:13pm

Newintown and Blaxx bring up an important point.

Just because a show doesn't belong on Broadway or even "doesn't deserve to be on Broadway," doesn't mean it's a show that doesn't deserve to exist.

I have YET to see a show that doesn't deserve to exist, ever. Because every show is something, to at least someone. No show is nothing to no one. Even Glee and the High School Musical franchise inspired tons of teens and young people to check out theatre and the performing arts for themselves, thus validating their existence, if not their creative merits.

So Bonnie and Clyde isn't the perfect fit for Broadway- well, maybe it'll be someone's favorite show when they see it in Regionals!

Mister Matt
#31Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 5:17pm

I have YET to see a show that doesn't deserve to exist, ever.

I agree with the sentiment, though I've certainly seen those I wish never existed.

bobbybaby85
#32Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 5:24pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 05:24 PM

Mister Matt
#33Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 5:31pm

I think the operative word is "wish". I don't think the person was arguing that shows shouldn't close, but that there does tend to be a rather nasty tendency for the snarkiness to ramp up to the point of nastiness. Nobody is saying there shouldn't be a negative opinion or that every show deserves success. It's just the way some opinions are expressed, which are too often just thoughtless, immature and exist for no other reason than to be bitchy.

SamIAm2
#34Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 5:55pm

From B&C cast member Tad Wilson's Twitter today:

tadwilson Tad Wilson
Want to support @BonnieClydeBway but not in the city? Buy tickets for any performance THIS WEEK in my name. I'll pass them to people in need

ghostlight2
#35Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 6:16pm

Mr Wilson is being a tad silly.

bobbybaby85, you might want to consider laying off the caffeine, or at least the caps lock.

While OP's request (I saw no demand) was naive, I honestly don't understand the need to come to this thread to vent bile when there are so many other threads one can do so in. It comes across as mean-spirited. It's one of the things I hate about this board.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 6:17pm

There are "people in need" that NEED tix to a b'way show?? Bwahahahaha.

That could be the silliest thing I've ever seen. DONATE to a show that is sinking to help someone in "need". If I'm going to 'donate' money, I'll actually do so through a charity -- not a b'way show, thank you very much.

To the rest of the discussion here: funny thing is that this thread hasn't had a single person address or bash the show itself and yet those protesting are arguing that very point

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ghostlight2
#37Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 6:25pm

"Clearly, Osnes and Jordan picked a big ole turkey"

That doesn't qualify as bashing to you?

ghostlight2
#38Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 6:27pm

Or:

"No, it deserves to die a quick painful death which is whats happening to it, if it was as good as people on here have been delusional raving about (which it really isn't) the box office would be reflecting that...."?

bobbybaby85
#39Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:22pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 07:22 PM

ghostlight2
#40Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:52pm

bobbybaby, you have perhaps mistaken me for someone else. I'm not denying anything, and I don't love B&C. I don't even like B&C. Talk abut the show's merits, or lack thereof. Talk about its sales (or lack thereof) - but calling it a "big ole turkey" is goes beyond that. It's overly pejorative, especially in a thread in which the the OP has quite politely asked for no negativity.

bobbybaby85
#41Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:55pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 07:55 PM

ghostlight2
#42Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:07pm

There are other threads where you can do that, but of course, if you insist on being contrary, no one can stop you. You really haven't contributed anything to the thread, however, or even discussed why you think it's a "big ole turkey", other than mentioning its numbers.

bobbybaby85
#43Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:07pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 08:07 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#44Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:09pm

I seriously doubt being in a single flop would ruin your career unless you are the sole reason the show flopped. A very well known and successful producer told me:
"To be remembered, you have to be in the Very Best or the Very Worst! No one remember mediocraty." and: "It is better to be involved a flop, then never having been ivolved with anything at all."

I have found these words to be quite true, in my long career of working in television and theatre.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

bobbybaby85
#45Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:11pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 08:11 PM

bobbybaby85
#46Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:14pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 08:14 PM

ghostlight2
#47Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:17pm

There's a lot of ways to define a flop. The Scottsboro Boys was a big flop financially, but artistically? I don't think I would call it that.

"BROADWAY IS A BUSINESS. You either sell tickets and your show is a hit or you don't and it flops. Let's not forget that Broadway has ALWAYS been about money, it's COMMERCIAL theatre. The numbers are all that matters."

That's sad that you believe that that's all that matters.

bobbybaby85
#48Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:29pm

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 08:29 PM

ghostlight2
#49Bonnie & Clyde deserves better
Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:41pm

There's little point in continuing this conversation since you believe that your opinions and definitions are fact, and therefore the only thing that matters. I believe that shows can be financial flops without being artistic flops. I'm not a bean-counter. Artistry counts (understand, I'm not suggesting that B&C falls into this category).