pixeltracker

Musings on Lysistrata Jones (12/10 Mat)

Musings on Lysistrata Jones (12/10 Mat)

RadioTV2@gmail.com
#1Musings on Lysistrata Jones (12/10 Mat)
Posted: 12/13/11 at 6:03pm

This past Saturday afternoon, I caught the delightful “Lysistrata Jones”. Let me preface the rest of my comments by saying that while I enjoyed this show, it is certainly not for everyone and isn't necessarily a perfect fit for Broadway.

The biggest assets that “Lysistrata” has are the comic and vocal gifts of Liz Mikel. She is brilliant in this and sets the tone of the show extremely well and is one of those actors who seems willing to do anything to engage with the audience, and it works for her.

Patti Murin does have some fantastic vocals, but the character of Lysistrata comes off as a little whiney at times. Josh Segarra is fantastic eye candy, and can sing pretty well also (although he doesn't get many chances to show that).

Jason Tam and Lindsay Nicole Chambers are fantastic in parts that could be thankless, but with their performances come off as essential. Tam is a great dancer (he was in the “Chorus Line” revival after all) and Dan Knechtges provides him, and the rest of the cast, with some pretty good choreography.

The book, by Douglas Carter Beane, is really truly funny. It is very self-referential and self-deprecating, and truly makes the show work. On the other hand, the score still needs some work. “Give it Up” (the finale) and “Hold On” (Jason Tam's song) are probably the only really good songs in the score, while the rest remain serviceable at best. The Act One Finale (“Where am I Now?”) is a very cookie-cutter power ballad and typifies the issues with the lyrics.

I'm not sure if the show is big enough to be on Broadway, and probably could have had a decent commercial Off-Broadway run (if those existed anymore).

On the whole, the show is smart and cute and funny. It is also extremely campy, so if that isn't your thing I would steer clear. I would definitely recommend it to fellow theater-enthusiasts, and younger people (16-35) because it doesn't seem like it was built for an older crowd.

Will it change the face of musical theater? No. But it was a fun two hours.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Musings on Lysistrata Jones (12/10 Mat)
Posted: 12/13/11 at 6:29pm

That was not two hours. I know for a fact that show lasted at least 10 hours.

Owen22
#2Musings on Lysistrata Jones (12/10 Mat)
Posted: 12/13/11 at 11:19pm

The show seemed more of an extended skit than a real musical, but then again, I laughed a lot. Beane can write a funny line like no one else these days. I only liked one song (and I can't even now remember which one) but maybe it would be a show for people who can't get into Book of Mormon...?

I know, I know, I'm just setting up some snide comments with that last sentence...

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#3Musings on Lysistrata Jones (12/10 Mat)
Posted: 12/13/11 at 11:59pm

I love Lyssie

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

Videos