pixeltracker

BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE Tour; Launches Fall 2012- Page 3

BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE Tour; Launches Fall 2012

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#50BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 2:12pm

Jekyll & HYDE was a huge tourist draw back in the day (any show with 1500+ performances despite a small financial flop is not a shocking revival), and it still is played tons not only nationally, but is huge international as well. I remember one of the reviews even said "It will run as long as Phantom!"

Jekyll has been very very profitable for the producers in the long run!

In terms of Lucy: I question if Kate Shindle will be pulled to do it. She did the role on Broadway (briefly - at 20 or so from what I remember; She also had to go with out any rehearsals with anyone in the cast at one point I believe the story goes!). Linda was of course about 35 when the role finally came to Broadway. Kate also did the Resurrection tour.

In terms of the replacements, they all did bring something different: Mason did the role with more edge and sex appeal, Coleen was very young and naive, and of course, Linda has that voice.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 2:28pm

Who the hell is still financing Wildhorn productions in 2012???

A Jekyll & Hyde revival is inevitable given its international popularity. The Broadway production may have lost money, but the show has had a strong life both pre- and post-Broadway. The original Broadway production of Chicago didn't recoup, but the show lived on and has become the most successful revival in Broadway history. I'm not saying Jekyll & Hyde is as good as Chicago or that the same thing will happen, but it's not as if there is no precedent for this sort of thing. I probably would not have invested in Civil War, Dracula or Wonderland, but I do get the appeal of the other shows he's written and why they got produced.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#52BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 3:22pm

If Calhoun has so much potential, wouldn't it have surfaced by now? He ain't no kid. The only thing I liked was BIG RIVER and that was heavily influenced by Def West.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#53BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 3:25pm

(any show with 1500+ performances despite a small financial flop is not a shocking revival)

You keep saying this, is it a revival? Sounds to me like a limited run as the last stop of the tour, and not a revival. Do you have more info.?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#54BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 3:30pm

If it plays Broadway wouldn't it still count as a revival? Lots of tours have played Broadway and are listed on IBDB as either revivals or return engagements. This would certainly not be a return engagement of the previous Broadway production.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#55BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 3:31pm

For award purposes, yes. But revivals are usually scheduled as open runs, whether tour stops have the smaller-scale design and play limited runs.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#56BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 4:56pm

Mister Matt, I'm pretty sure the original production of Chicago just made it into the black before it closed.

Mister Matt
#57BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 5:48pm

Did it? I always heard it closed at a loss, though I could be mistaken.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#58BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 5:52pm

The original production of Chicago recouped its investment before it closed.

Mister Matt
#59BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 5:57pm

Ah, well...my bad. Whatever! SHUT UP! Galinda told me Wildhorn rox and she doesn't lie cuz she's a GOOD witch, so stop yer hatin'.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#60BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 10:42pm

As an original "jekkie" who's spent a lot of time and $$ watching this baby grow, I'm happy it will have "A New Life". Hoping the new direction will be a refreshing change.

The Nelander Org. is involved with this and someone very close to J & H is part if that Org. So chances are this will be well supported. They're smart to tour it once again before mounting it on Bd'w. Constantine is an excellent choice, IMO.

@ Philly, don't have any heads up as to other casting and wouldn't post it if I did. But there's a lot of hopefulls as you can imagine. I saw Kate fill in for Lucy on her 4th performance. She was very good!

Radar will be out for this one. Here we go again!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

broadway7117
#61BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 11:31pm

So excited for this! One of my favourite scores

CurtainPullDowner
#62BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:28am

philly: if J&H was a "huge" tourist draw it would have made a lot of money, it was a "medium" draw at best, just covering the rent week by week.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#63BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:36am

philly: if J&H was a "huge" tourist draw it would have made a lot of money, it was a "medium" draw at best, just covering the rent week by week

You're beating a dead horse. He's always going to see the glass half full when it comes to Wildhorn shows.

Mister Matt
#64BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/31/12 at 8:46am

There is more than one dead horse here. If investors want to produce a show, they produce it. Even revivals that flopped the first time around. Be it Jekyll & Hyde or Ragtime or Follies. In the end, money dictates what gets produced and it has nothing to do with how we feel about it.

CurtainPullDowner
#65BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/31/12 at 12:42pm

I hear you mister matt. I actually enjoy philly's enthusiasm for all things Wildhorn, it's fun, but a false statement is a false statement. J&H was NEVER a huge tourist draw, MAMA MIA, THE LION KING are huge draws, J&H couldn't fill a smaller house while these shows turn profits in larger venues.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#66BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:23pm

The show ran four years.. breaking even or not.. it was selling fine. Of course the celeb casting went a little too far (though Jack Wagner was capable; Sebastian Bach was fun to watch.. Hoff .. I'll stand clear), but how did the show run for 4 years with so much theatre hate then? (The smaller house, obviously, played into why it didn't recoup)