pixeltracker

Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?

Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#1Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/29/12 at 6:52pm

Are these new shows the largest group of Broadway film adaptations in one year? Arriving in 2012:

Big Fish (also a novel?)
Newsies
Ghost
Once
Little Miss Sunshine
Flashdance
Leap of Faith*

(*added)

There always seem to be at least a couple playing at once, but don't remember another year/season with this many new ones...

Updated On: 1/30/12 at 06:52 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/29/12 at 7:03pm

1. They won't all open.
2. Two of them were at least musicals in their original form

The only one I'm excited about is Once. (Although I'm sure I'll see a few others)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/29/12 at 7:11pm

You left off LEAP OF FAITH.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/29/12 at 7:17pm

2006 had six: THE WEDDING SINGER, TARZAN, GREY GARDENS, HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS, MARY POPPINS, and HIGH FIDELITY.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwaycrazy24
#4Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/29/12 at 8:56pm

I don't understand what everyone's problem is... a good story is a good story. Not that ALL movies work as musicals, but some work better as musicals than they did as films. In that case, I say, bring em in! :)

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#5Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/29/12 at 9:31pm

Nobody here said anything about a "problem" with them. Musicals always come from a variety of sources, or are original creations. It just seemed to me like a LARGE upcoming percentage is adapted from movies, vs. from books, plays or original ideas.

Including "Leap of Faith," it's seven, though as earlier stated, they may not all open.

dramamama611
#6Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/30/12 at 1:29am

Yup, no problem.

However, which musicals do you think worked BETTER as a musical then it did in its original form? (I'm not attacking, I'm truly curious -- as I can't think of any off the top of my head.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#7Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/30/12 at 2:37am

Drama, is your question only in regards to musicals based on films, or does it include all adaptations (musicals from books and plays as well) which of course opens it up much more.

As for films, the one that comes most easily to mind is Little Shop of Horrors... Probably obvious. While an interesting film, I think Passion is an improvement on Passione d'Amore (it being the main inspiration for the musical, and not the original novel Fosca). I can think of adaptations I enjoy at least *as much* based on movies--cinema fans would slaughter me but I'd put Sweet Charity and A Little Night Music there (and while the script is no where as good, Promises Promises would be a sentimental choice too). Of course all of these are arguably not based on popular films (Promises being the exception), so might help prove the cynicism many have for these adaptations. (Although some, even Leap of Faith, aren't exactly movies everyone still remembers now, even a decade or two later).

I actually think Zorba holds up better (particularly in its non revised, darker version) than the now very dated film or novel, but I'm not sure if officially there was any word about how much was based on the novel and how much on the film, but there's little doubt that without the success of the movie a few years earlier, the musical likely wouldn't have happened.

lachri5
#8Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/30/12 at 3:30am

"However, which musicals do you think worked BETTER as a musical then it did in its original form?"

Xanadu.

Updated On: 1/30/12 at 03:30 AM

EricMontreal22
#9Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/30/12 at 3:45am

Undoubtedly

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#10Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/30/12 at 3:56am

Reefer Madness, Little Shop of Horrors, Legally Blonde, Hairspray, The Full Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - all made better musicals than films IMO. Updated On: 1/30/12 at 03:56 AM

dramamama611
#11Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/30/12 at 4:46am

Yes, I was talking movie to stage musical, specifically.

Xanadu....a strong maybe.
Little Shop...definitely.

I can't agree with any others so far mentioned. (Never saw Reefer Madness in any incarnation -- so no opinion.)

I thought Hairspray (the original), The Full Monty AND DRS were all highly superior as films.

EricMontreal22
#12Biggest new crop of movie adaptations?
Posted: 1/30/12 at 6:08am

I'm kinda on the fence with both Hairspray and especially Full Monty. I saw Full Monty on tour thanks to a friend, not expecting to like it as my vague memories of seeing the movie when it came out were that I really didn't get the hype, but really enjoyed the stage show. But I think I should check out the movie again (sometime...) before commiting.

I admit, while I really have to be in the right mood to handle Legally Blonde the musical (otherwise I can find it quickly grating), I did enjoy seeing it, much more than the movie but I suspect I'm in the minority there (well along with Overkill anyway).

42nd Street is one I think I enjoy more on stage as well, the only real appeal of the movie for me being some of the ridiculously great Busby Berkely numbers. Like many musicals from the early talkie era, it's pretty creaky otherwise (IMHO). More controversially, I also think, despite that amazing cast, that the film of Grand Hotel doesn't hold up as well as its reputation would imply. I don't play the musical album much, but I was blown away by the tour of the show 20 or so (ack) years back, and much more absorbed into it--I know they're based on a Vicki Baum novel, but I believe the musical credits the screenplay as inspiration. Speaking of Tommy Tune, I might credit Nine as at least being in its way just as interesting as the film, but having recently seen both 8 1/2 again and the awful movie of Nine, I'm not sure...

Does On The Twentieth Century count? I've seen the movie on TCM and I have read that the musical was more inspired by the movie (as well as the real original events) than by the play...

I know many prefer Billy Elliot as a stage show, though I admit I've somehow failed to grasp the magic of the movie or the stage version enough to comment (and I'm a big ballet fan...).

Despite having some issues (different ones) with both the movie and the adaptation, I think I much prefer the musical of Man of No Importance... But this probably further points out the argument that usually the more interesting movie adaptations aren't of big blockbusters with titles that producers think will bring audiences in.

Videos