THE BEST MAN

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#1THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 3:15pm

What's everyone's take on this show? Stellar cast, prob one of the best Broadway casts in recent memory - but how is the play?
Thinking about going to see it

Dollypop
#2THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 4:31pm

Saw the version with Chris Noth, Elizabeth Ashley and Christine Ebersole and enjoyed it very much. Ashley chewed the scenery beyond repair.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#2THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 5:10pm

who doesnt love some old school scenary chewing? is that the part that will be played by Ms Bergen?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#3THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 5:11pm

Angela Lansbury is playing the part Ashley played. Bergen's role was played by Michael Learned in the most recent revival.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Chad Eberle
#4THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 5:28pm

We have limited slots left for our upcoming trip, and this is on our radar, too. My main reason for considering it is Angela. How big is her part in this play? Our other choices are Clybourne Park, End of the Rainbow, and Anything Goes. We have two slots left to fill and those four shows vying for them.

geudupe Profile Photo
geudupe
#5THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 5:40pm

Angela's part in the play is very small, but I'm sure this production will be worth seeing. The play itself is pretty great...I reccomend reading it for those curious about it and not averse to spoilers and what-not.

Dollypop
#6THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 6:46pm

It'll be worth seeing just for Eric McCormack....swoon

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

beaemma
#7THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/5/12 at 7:16pm

I enjoyed the last revival and have always liked the movie. The play offers a perceptive, often wittly view of politics and the dirty dealing that can go into getting a presidential nomination. It's set in the sixties, but doesn't seem especially dated, except that back then the nominations were generally decided at the conventions, rather than through the primaries and caucuses. Lansbury's role is small, but juicy--only two or three scenes. I'm sure she'll make the most of it.

TotallyJeannius Profile Photo
TotallyJeannius
#8THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/6/12 at 12:53am

It's insane how much I'm looking forward to seeing this show, and this cast is amazing. Yay Michael McKean! Will definitely be adding the movie version to my Netflix queue.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#9THE BEST MAN
Posted: 2/8/12 at 7:28pm

THIS QUESTION MAY CONTAIN, BY IMPLICATION, A SPOILER:

It's been a while since I've seen either of them, but isn't the plot very similar to Advise and Consent? At least in certain respects.

Updated On: 2/8/12 at 07:28 PM

Videos