pixeltracker

Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?- Page 2

Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?

AEA AGMA SM
#25Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/24/12 at 4:18pm

To put some perspective, I have been told that British Equity is not nearly as concerned about the "exchange" system. It is fairly one sided, with AEA (US Equity) being the enforcer and "watchdog" over foreigners stealing work from US citizens.

And yes, the uproar over Miss Saigon was much more over the idea of a caucasian playing an Asian role, as Jonathan Pryce was considered an established enough star at the time that he would have qualified to come over with the show otherwise.

Jonwo
#26Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/24/12 at 5:12pm

I wonder when whole casts come over like The History Boys and the upcoming One Man Two Guvnors, how they do exchanges or would this be an exception to the rule as it's not like for like.

ajh
#27Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 10:59am

I assume that Richard Fleeshman -the male lead in GHOST- is appearing on B'way in exchange for Caisse Levy originating the female role in the West End. Adequate though he is, it really isn't a great performance, or at least it wasn't when I saw it in previews (Sharon D Clarke as Oda Mae is terrific and would have been far more deserving of being seen in NYC and one can only assume that there are personal reasons why she isn't making the Transatlantic crossing). There are surely countless NYC-based actors more than capable of doing what Fleeshman does; I suspect the critics/opinion boarders will have a field day with him....and quite possibly the whole show.....

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#28Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 11:15am

Adam Godley when he played the part of Sir Evelyn Oakleigh in Anything goes, who isn't a star, but he absolutely nailed the part and that's what matters.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#29Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 11:44am

Adam Godley who isn't a star, but he absolutely nailed the part of Sir Evelyn Oakleigh,in Anything Goes and that's what matters.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 12:14pm

I think it's amazing how quickly things transfer from London to New York, but how slowly things go from New York to London. It took Hairspray forever to open in London. And it doesn't seem like plays bounce over the pond to London that quickly.

Jonwo
#31Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 10:27pm

Musicals tend to take 2-3 years, Ghost is the exception as is Hairspray as that was delayed due to lack of theatres. Plays tend to transfer a lot quicker.

Gothampc
#32Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 11:17pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it always seemed to me that the West End didn't have as many dancers as did Broadway. So when there was a dance heavy musical, US dancers would go over and do the show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 11:28pm

But it seems even plays take awhile. Or maybe they are just less publicized. Has "August: Osage County" played over there? Or any of the big plays of the last few years. Did "God of Carnage" make its way over?

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#34Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/25/12 at 11:59pm

God of Carnage actually played London before it played Broadway. August Osage County played London in September, 2008 with many members of the original cast. I think it's why most of the Chicago cast finished the Broadway production right after the Tony Awards.

I don't know the timelines for most plays, but that's the story of those two, Ripped.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

exedore
#35Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/26/12 at 12:58pm

August: Osage County played at the National Theatre with most of its US cast intact.

God of Carnage played the UK first, but was recast for Broadway.

DefyGravity777
#36Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/26/12 at 3:47pm

"Yeah, and a big stink was made over Lea Salonga because she was neither British nor American."

Why would it matter since she was playing an Asian and she is Asian herself?

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#37Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/26/12 at 3:50pm

Because it was felt that she was depriving an Asian-American actress of the role...

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

BroadwayFan12
#38Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/26/12 at 4:41pm

Marin Mazzie and Hannah Waddingham switched sides of the Atlantic for Spamalot, as did Idina Menzel and Kerry Ellis for Wicked.

Tamerlano Profile Photo
Tamerlano
#39Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/26/12 at 7:30pm

Spare a thought for poor LORETTA ABLES SAYRE who did two and half years as Bloody Mary with South Pacific on Braodway. She is halfway through a substandard, crappy cast,piss poor tour of Lincoln Center's South Pacific here in the UK. She is a star turn but I'm sure it ticks boxes for Equity on both sides of the water. A bit like Bonnie Langford doing Chicago in the middle of nowhere USA.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#40Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 2/26/12 at 8:10pm

"Yeah, and a big stink was made over Lea Salonga because she was neither British nor American."

Why would it matter since she was playing an Asian and she is Asian herself?

AC is right about depriving an Asian-American actress a shot at the role, but also because it wouldn't work out to an even exchange in the eyes of AEA (I could be wrong about this, though).

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ChildrenwillListen
#41Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/12 at 8:55pm

So that we Americans get the chance to experience the amazingness. Like Patina Miller in Sister Act and the Ghost cast. And the British had the chance to experience the OBC of Hair. So it's fair.

juggles
#42Why do we have so many London 'stars' opening on Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/12 at 10:37am

American producers decide where to invest their money. They first travel to the UK to watch a potential money spinning production. So it's not actually the UK's fault, if one considers it to be a fault. I think it's brilliant to have good productions on rather than lesser ones just because they happen to be American written etc

Updated On: 3/13/12 at 10:37 AM