Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?

TarasHope
#1Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/27/12 at 6:29am

Our annual NY trip is booked, and tix for AG on the 14th. Sutton ends on the 11th, and Stephanie starts on the 15th. Anyone know what happens between those dates ?? I thought maybe 12 to 14 would be Stephanie and those dates would be like 'previews' and her official date would be 15th, but she said on twitter that 15th is her starting date. Any info would be appreciated . Thx

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/27/12 at 7:59am

One would assume it's the Reno understudy, Tari Kelly.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#2Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/27/12 at 7:21pm

Yup, Tari Kelly will be taking over briefly before SJB starts. Tari is wonderful as Reno! :)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/27/12 at 7:59pm

according to telecharge.com, it'll be Tari Kelly. also, if Block will miss performances March 21 - 24, why not have her start March 27 instead and just have Kelly play Reno for two weeks(3/13-3/25).

"Cast Members:
Sutton Foster (thru 3/11), Stephanie Block (begins 3/15), Joel Grey...

Please note: Tari Kelly will perform the role of Reno March 13 - 14 and March 21 - 24."

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#4Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/27/12 at 8:26pm

Would I be correct in saying that Sutton Foster is leaving Anything Goes altogether? Not temporarily like she did in November for 2 weeks, when Stephanie J Block stepped in, in November last year?

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#5Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/27/12 at 8:52pm

Sutton is leaving the show indefinitely, because of her series.

My guess is they get stars to replace McMartin or/and Grey if they plan to keep the show going (and possibly another star for Evangeline too)

MillieDillmount
#6Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/28/12 at 12:45am

I don't think the show will last very long without Sutton, myself. This revival was created FOR Sutton, and she's the name that has kept the show extending. And I have no idea who can replace Joel, I think he's just perfect for Moonie, I just can't see anyone else in that role. I did love Robert Creighton in the role (his understudy - usually the Purser) but I know he's not enough of a name to perm replace Joel. Any thoughts on who could replace him?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 2/28/12 at 12:53am

The show did just fine without her IIRC, as it did when Joel Grey was out for a while due to illness. The show will be fine. She isn't truly headlining the revival like Catherine Zeta-Jones and Lansbury did in NIGHT MUSIC..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

walt1896
#8Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 3/1/12 at 1:46am

"She isn't truly headlining the revival like Catherine Zeta-Jones and Lansbury did in NIGHT MUSIC"

Ticket sales were usually down whenever she was out. And, "She isn't truly headlining the revival like Catherine Zeta-Jones and Lansbury did in NIGHT MUSIC" is ridiculous: A well-deserved Tony for her and Tony noms and wins for the show, numerous extensions and Body-Above-the-Title on the Marquis. And, she's the first dancing Reno on Broadway, with choreography designed for her Headline performance, that others may get through but not with her panache.

Updated On: 3/1/12 at 01:46 AM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#9Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 3/1/12 at 4:15pm

The reason to see the production is and was Sutton Foster.
The book is very tired. old fashioned and creaky. Sutton Foster is amazing.

Not saying Stephanie and Tari aren't good; haven't seen them but was blown away by Sutton Foster's performance.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#10Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 3/1/12 at 4:42pm

MillieDilmount, this revival was not created "for" Sutton Foster. In fact, it was quite the opposite- they went through five or six other "name" actresses over a three year period before they finally ended up casting Foster.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

FindMe12
#11Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 3/14/12 at 4:34pm

I think the show will do just fine with SJB. She is doing the role through at least August 1st. If the producers didn't think the show would last they would have brought in bigger name before that point at least. I think you should wait to see how the show does under SJB, who got amazing reviews, before you start digging its grave.

MillieDillmount
#12Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 3/14/12 at 7:39pm

Can I just point out that the month SJB was Reno in Nov was coincidentally the same month that Anything Goes grossed the least? But, of course, we can just wait; and hope that SJB will be a bigger draw this time around.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13Who is Reno 3/11to 3/15?
Posted: 3/14/12 at 7:50pm

Ticket sales were usually down whenever she was out. And, "She isn't truly headlining the revival like Catherine Zeta-Jones and Lansbury did in NIGHT MUSIC" is ridiculous: A well-deserved Tony for her and Tony noms and wins for the show, numerous extensions and Body-Above-the-Title on the Marquis. And, she's the first dancing Reno on Broadway, with choreography designed for her Headline performance, that others may get through but not with her panache.

When Stephanie was in the show the ticket sales did not really drop too much. The average ticket price was generally still over $100 per week and the capacity close to or above 90% (i.e. a drop of 5-10 percent at most). Certainly still high enough to suggest the show will run without Sutton. When Sutton returned the grosses might have increased 50-100k but this is still relatively nominal IMO considering Sutton also gets paid a lot more, so the difference in profit probably isn't much.

I think if we look at shows where the star was truly carrying the grosses on their shoulders we see a much more significant difference. When Nick Jonas joined how to succeed the grosses were cut in half (-600,000!!). When Zeta-Jones went on holidays for a week the grosses cut in half (-400,000!!!). When Sutton foster leaves the show for two weeks the grosses dip a little bit (-50 to 100k absolute maximum).

It is clear that Sutton Foster is not carrying the box office receipts on her shoulders for ANYTHING GOES, people mainly care about seeing the show.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/14/12 at 07:50 PM

Videos