JCS Previews Thread

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#75JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/3/12 at 7:29pm

Josh Young just seems the wrong choice for Judas. Judas should be exciting and keep you on the edge of your seat. You never know what he's going to do next, etc. But with Young, I felt like I could see the notes on the page as he was singing them. They were too perfectly formed, too well couched, etc. And that's just his style of singing. If you listen to his albums he has a great voice and range, but there's no passion in his songs. He's singing the notes correctly, etc, but not bringing the "acting" to the songs.

I think a lot of this rests on Des' shoulders. He doesn't seem like the kind of director who gets "great performances" from his actors. He isn't an actor's director. He just has the visuals in his head, and that's it.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#76JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/3/12 at 7:33pm

Paging Jerry Zaks (clean up the direction), Drew Sarich (take over as Judas), and... alright, picks for Mary in this thread, folks!

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Justin_
#77JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/3/12 at 8:53pm

It's worth mentioning that Paul Nolan's and Chilina Kennedy's great jobs in West Side Story, as well as Josh Young's and Chilina Kennedy's runs in Evita were both directed by Gary Griffin and not Des McAnuff.

With good direction, they were engaging actors (and musicians).

Updated On: 3/3/12 at 08:53 PM

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#78JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:38pm

Hmmm, interesting thoughts on Young. My exposure to his performances is limited but from the little I've seen and heard, he was vocally impressive and invested in his acting. His Che in Stratford's Evita was almost too intense. It's hard to believe the same actor is reportedly leaving much to be desired. Hopefully it's a case of the jitters and all will settle in by opening night.

Kennedy sang well enough in Evita but lacked the power necessary to give the role that bite that makes it most effective. Sounds like she's been directed to underplay what is at its core a character that is yearning, longing, and conflicted. "Strong woman" is fine and all but if she is being told to have that essence about her from the moment she steps out onto the stage to curtain call, then I'm afraid they've made a large-ish boo-boo, to put it kindly.

The character can certainly be infused with a sense of strength but that strength should not define her or she'll be one-note. I highly disagree that Yvonne Elliman's Mary was a weepy mess. She clearly shows a range and I never got the impression her Mary was a basket case, even if she does go nuts at the end when they're giving Mr. Nazareth a good whippin.' :P

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.
Updated On: 3/3/12 at 10:38 PM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#79JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:47pm

If ever there was a song that required musical theatre passion, it's "I Don't Know How To Love Him"-- there are many ways you can interpret the character of Mary but the character's material really prevents "downplaying" the role from being an effective creative decision.

massofmen
#80JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:03pm

ripped,
i think you might be right about Des and him not being an actors director. I think he is a picture guy. Like Eric Schaeffer. They make nice pictures but don't know how to direct actors and if the actors aren't good they are hung out there to dry.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#81JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:53am

I saw the matinee this afternoon, and I have to echo a lot of what's already been said here.

My biggest issue with this production is why bother doing it if you can't cast really outstanding singers to play the three leads? They all have respectable voices, but none of them really wow you.

Paul Nolan gives us the typical "screamy" Jesus. Lots and lots of yelling. He didn't have the charisma that would make you believe he's playing Christ, who is someone who should command your attention whenever you're onstage. His Gethsemane received nothing more than polite applause.

Chillena Kennedy just bored me. It felt like a very good community theater performance, but nothing about it made me sit up and take notice of her. In fact, every time the attention was on her, I kept thinking about other Broadway performers I would have preferred to see play Mary. While I hated the last revival, the one thing I did like about it was Maya Days' Mary Magdalene, who struck a perfect balance between finding the vulnerablity in the character and displaying resolve.

As for Josh Young, he also left me thoroughly unimpressed. Part of this might have been the way he was directed, but I didn't get any sense of Judas' struggle from him. It was a technically proficient performance, but again, nothing very interesting. His character has to pull us in right from the beginning with Heaven on their Minds, and Young doesn't do that.

The sound design was pretty spectacular, however, and never once did the orchestra drown out the singers. The set was scaffolding. Lots and lots of scaffolding.

Des' direction is mostly uninspired, with a few downright bizarre choices (like the aforementioned diving board).

Overall, this was not the worst production of this show I've ever seen, but certainly nothing about it makes me think a transfer of it was warranted. It absolutely feels like a regional theater production. It just kind of sits there.

massofmen
#82JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/4/12 at 9:36am

it amazes me that this board is almost universally panning this show, but the reviews from the places it has been put up have been nothing but stellar. Does that say more about this board being out of touch or the reviewers being out of touch with what NYC standards are? not that NYC really has any i mean have you seen memphis?

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#83JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 8:45am

For anyone who was there last night...is the diving board working? Just wondering...I may go tomorrow. Thanks.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

Lefou Profile Photo
Lefou
#84JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 10:06am

I was there last night...it was the Gypsy Performance, so the house was extremely enthusiastic and very supportive...a little over supportive if you ask me.

I have to begin by saying that I was highly disappointed in Des's direction...It was monotonous and droll. I understand that this show is supposed to be high-energy, but there are other ways of acheiving that than having the ensemble run around pointlessly for the entire show. The one thing that irks me most is Mary's big moment, 'I Don't Know How To Love Him'. It was very well sung (more about the cast below), but it took place all the way downstage and she was confined to a space that was about 4 x 6. It was supposed to be her big moment and the direction made it seem so unimportant.

In the same vein, the lighting was just horrendous. It felt as if the cues were behind the entire show, with blaring spotlights and random light changes happening (mix that with all the running around, and you make the audience dizzy). However, the projections were a saving grace. I really enjoyed most of the chosen images, they complimented the vision nicely, which rarely happens anymore. Costumes were also great (especially Tom Hewitt's purple jacket).

The cast did the best they could under the circumstances listed above. I was familiar with Josh Young's work before, and went in with low expectations...and he really didn't exceed them I'm sorry to say. He cracked at least 5 times on HUGE notes and you could visibly see him getting upset about it (and he didn't need anything else distracting him from attempting to "act").

Chilina Kennedy was quite stiff as Mary--she sung well and moved great (would have loved to see her in WSS at Stratford). However she didn't exude...well, anything. She was simply along for the ride and was basically playing a girl...not a real character.

Paul Nolan was the best part of the show hands down. Though Judas should really steal the show (IMO) I found that Paul was the standout of the three leads. His voice floated, with no flubs, and his "Gethsemane" was a real treat to watch.

Other notable standouts were Marcus Nance (Caiaphas) who has an incredible voice, as well as Lee Siegel (Simon) who absolutely KILLED "Simon Zealotes" / "Poor Jerusalem".

And as mentioned above, the ensemble was VERY young and attractive with a some great voices. However, they are incredibly misguided and come off very amateur with the choreography.

Quite honestly, this felt like a solid regional production, and had I seen it in such a context I would have been impressed--however, this is not up to Broadway standards.

Updated On: 3/6/12 at 10:06 AM

massofmen
#85JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 10:12am

i was there as well and agree with what you said Lefou. I just don't get how all these out of town reviews lauded so much praise over this show? Do out of town reviews mean anything anymore? or again....i don't get it.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#86JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 10:23am

If New York City reviewers are the suckerfish of NY theatre, just imagine how worthless out of town reviewers are...

Look - they're all failures - they either failed to be a part of theatre, or they failed as journalists and got put on the arts beat. Either way, there's no reason to respect them.

What they produce is irrelevant, and they often produce it poorly.

dave1606
#87JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 11:37am

I was there last night and can report that the diving board worked. However I wish it hadn't as it looked like Jesus was about to board an airplane.

I was very disappointed with this production. It has to be one of the ugliest I have ever seen. This automatically beats Godspell due to a better score, but only barely.

The whole show felt like Jesus Christ Superstar by way of Enron. Two of the lead performances were simply not good. Josh Young failed to reach many of the notes required, but it was Chilina Kenedy that was the worst offender--both in her acting and vocals. Paul Nolan fared the best for sure. He was a little bland, but I found him to be a very serviceable Jesus.

The projections were hysterically bad. Using them to create crowds and movements was both distracting and unnecessary. There was audible laughter from audience members near me.

I have to agree that the sound balance was excellent. The sound was crystal clear with a great balance on the vocals and the orchestra sounded great.

I did enjoy act 2 more, and even found a few moments of brilliance, but overall the whole thing was pretty lackluster.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#88JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 1:38pm

Thanks Dave!
Also, I love this quote: "but I found him to be a very serviceable Jesus."
Ironically, my first same sex experience was with a guy named Jesus. Pretty ironic for a good catholic boy growing up in the 70s and 80s.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#89JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 2:21pm

So I've been trying to read through this thread for the last hour- I'm at work right now... so bits and pieces at a time- and while I still can't wait to see this when I am in the city at the end of the month my overall feeling about this is what it has always been about Superstar- you either love it or hate it- as with most Webber shows and there usually isn't a lot of people on the fence. Whoever said it above though does make a good point- it is strange that most professional productions of this show get universally dumped on, yet this one was the darling of regional theater last year.

I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the month to see for myself... it has to be better than the last revival.. ugh!

jeffmiele
#90JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 3:43pm

Seeing it on Friday. Has anyone seen it with TDF tickets yet? Wondering where the seats might be.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#91JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 3:51pm

I saw it last night via TDF. I was in row S of the orchestra. Pretty good seat, the same couldn't be said about the show.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#92JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 4:05pm

Look - they're all failures - they either failed to be a part of theatre, or they failed as journalists and got put on the arts beat. Either way, there's no reason to respect them.

Wow. There really is a LOT you don't know. Starting with the career history and choices of people you've never met.

What they produce is irrelevant, and they often produce it poorly.

Oh, for God's sake. You've made your posts more irrelevant than any regional critic with that nonsense.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#93JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 4:17pm

It's your opinion, Matt, and you're entitled to it. But you're wrong.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#94JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 4:22pm

With journalism jobs in steep decline, failures as journalists are unemployed (or in another field), not on the arts beats. Even in the better days for journalists, no one ever joked about being punished by being stuck on the arts beat. That honor went to the obit writers. Remember "Nothing Sacred"?

Regional critics are writing for a different audience with different expectations. Some are hacks, and some are quite good, as in any field.

Mister Matt
#95JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 4:38pm

It's not just an opinion. If you are are commenting on a couple of critics you know, then just say so. But don't pretend to know everything about all of them and make blanket assumptions that they are all "worthless", "failures" and unworthy of respect. You sounds like you work for Santorum.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#96JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 4:41pm

And you sound like you lick Kirk Cameron's butt.

OK, now that the childish dialectic is done, maybe we can talk like adults.

Mister Matt
#97JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 4:49pm

At least my Santorum comment made sense. But if you want to try and talk like an adult, please do. It would be a refreshing change.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#98JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 5:09pm

Not dissimilar to the old "I'm rubber, you're glue" ploy.

I guess you're not ready yet.

Mister Matt
#99JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 5:30pm

Quite dissimilar, actually. More along the lines of the pot/kettle response. Still have no idea what makes you so judgmental, self-righteous, smug and omniscient in your assessment of all regional critics.

Videos