pixeltracker

10 performances a week?? - Page 2

10 performances a week??

broadway guy
#2510 performances a week??
Posted: 8/22/12 at 10:45am

One of my fellow Tumbling buddies was in Wintuk and told me they usually did 10-12 shows a week.He was there for 4 weeks and did the power track.He Never missed a show

Starship
#2610 performances a week??
Posted: 8/22/12 at 12:49pm

Strike my earlier comment, Cirque du Soleil hit 14 shows a week in December with two shows every day. And apologies, Zarkana and Banana Spheel did exceed the usual 90 minute Cirque max.

FlowerChild67
#2710 performances a week??
Posted: 8/22/12 at 1:05pm

"Think Sondheim on drugs"

MADE. MY. DAY.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2810 performances a week??
Posted: 8/22/12 at 1:26pm

I just saw Zarkana a few weeks ago. There was no intermission. It was an hour and a half straight through. Maybe they shortened the show when they announced that it was going to Vegas to replace their Elvis show? But, when I saw it there was no intermission at all.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Starship
#2910 performances a week??
Posted: 8/22/12 at 1:30pm

Last I heard it was originally 90 minutes, as well. But when it was in NYC last year, it jumped up to a 100 minutes with a twenty intermission, so I don't know anymore D:

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#3010 performances a week??
Posted: 8/22/12 at 2:55pm

Good stuff, Starship. We appreciate you sharing your insights.

Starship
#3110 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 2:50pm

My pleasure, Wee Thomas!

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#3210 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 4:10pm

THanks from me too Star, I'm always fascinated, even borderline obsessed about stuff like this.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Starship
#3310 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 4:29pm

Not a problem, my fellow Arizonian! If you ever have any questions, just shoot me a message and I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3410 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 4:45pm

When I saw Mystere, it was around 90 minutes long with live musicians and singers. They were visible from the audience throughout the entire show, elevated on the left side of the stage.

It was also an incredible show!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Starship
#3510 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 4:48pm

Mystere is a great show! Most of the time, Cirque musicians and singers are stationed on either the right or left side of the back of the stage. But, this is different for shows including Iris.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#3610 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 8:41pm

Yes, indeed. Thank you, starship et al.!

Vegas is different from New York is different from LA is different from Toronto, etc. and so forth. All of this is very interesting to me and others (and everybody else has a scroll bar).

JohnyBroadway
#3710 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 8:43pm

Love reading all the insights on Cique shows. Thanks!

broadway guy
#3810 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 8:58pm

If you think thats interesting you should hear how the auditions go.one word:GRUELING! atleast my audition was lol

Starship
#3910 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 9:21pm

The whole Cirque du Soleil audition process is ridiculous. 'nuff said.

And yes, you're right! Cirque du Soleil's resident, touring, and traditional theatre setting productions all have their own rules. But in general, they remain similar in many ways.
Updated On: 8/23/12 at 09:21 PM

broadway guy
#4010 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 10:20pm

Hey starship,how often is it that the regular acts dont perform? for example some family members went to see kooza and the wheel of death wasnt shown in the show?They were very dissapointed cause they have the dvd and the wheel is there favorite part.How often does that happen?

Starship
#4110 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 10:32pm

I can definitely say not very often. Sometimes acts are scheduled not to perform certain matinee or evenings, though. I know that's the case for Alegria and a handful of other shows. However, there was a strange block of six months or so recently where a lot of acts were calling out on random performances. It was bizzare.

broadway guy
#4210 performances a week??
Posted: 8/23/12 at 10:58pm

Interesting! My friend who was in wintuk told me that cirque does not do understudies/stand ins.Is that true?What would happen if the actor playing a lead role like the red bird in mystere got injured before a show,would they have someone else go on as the character or just not have the character appear in the show even though he is a lead role. Not having understudies for cirque seems kinda off considering the higher risk of injuries for the performers.

Starship
#4310 performances a week??
Posted: 8/24/12 at 12:45am

That would be correct. However, some roles, such as Zoé in Quidam, do have alternates who perform selected performances each week. I do remember though that Ann Ostapenko began her Cirque careering as a hand-balancing understudy during her tour with Cirque du Soleil’s Saltimbanco.

Videos