THE New Normal

myprettycabinet Profile Photo
myprettycabinet
#475THE New Normal
Posted: 11/14/12 at 3:21pm

"I'm a little surprised Murphy didn't create a *real* Nana twitter account. (He didn't, right?)"

I immediately thought that when I was watching last night, but then I thought that i was too many characters for a username. But I just checked and it is not, and is taken.

myprettycabinet Profile Photo
myprettycabinet
#476THE New Normal
Posted: 11/14/12 at 6:02pm

LOL. Okay, to be fair, I was also eating dinner when I watched last night, but I'm rewatching it right now and I've only just now noticed that Justin Bartha's character is not IN the video Bryan makes, it's just a life-size cutout.

...not sure what that says about his character...

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#477THE New Normal
Posted: 11/14/12 at 11:43pm

Well the video WAS meant to be a surprise for their wedding or whatever--so it might be weird to ask him to make it with him. :P Not to defend it or anything

FindingNamo
#478THE New Normal
Posted: 11/14/12 at 11:47pm

Does Ellen Barkin use mouthwash after saying those lines on camera?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#479THE New Normal
Posted: 11/15/12 at 12:50am

I don't know if it has been mentioned on here, but Andrew is one of People's sexiest men, listed with the guys of Girls

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#480THE New Normal
Posted: 11/15/12 at 1:04am

Is there a picture? I hope he's doing that "narrows his eyes" thing that he does!

FindingNamo
#481THE New Normal
Posted: 11/20/12 at 1:16pm

OUT magazine referred to "salami smoker" as "Ellen Barkin's delicious pejorative in the opening episode."

I guess that settles that, sensitigays.

#482THE New Normal
Posted: 11/20/12 at 1:27pm

Oh Namo. I should NOT have doubted you. I could not imagine that a "gay" magazine would use that epithet in such "delicious" way but indeed, you could not be more accurate:

"In both shows, Rannells plays a droll, self-assured “salami smoker,” to use Ellen Barkin’s delicious pejorative in the opening episode of The New Normal. He also appeared in Leslye Headland’s darkly comic indie flick, Bachelorette, with Kirsten Dunst and Rebel Wilson.

“I feel very proud to be a part of The New Normal,” Rannells says. “I hope that it’s considered to be a part of the evolution of gay relationships on television. Coming from Nebraska, it’s exciting to me that people I went to grade school with, people that I grew up going to church with, are watching the show.” "
I could not be more gobsmacked

EricMontreal22
#483THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 6:12am

Well, I've never been more offended by The New Normal. I happen to like my festive ToFurkey...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#484THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 9:41am

What a weird episode. I was rendered speechless by the Nene meets Nutty Professor part. As usual, things sunk as low as humanly possible as soon as Ellen Barkin came in. It was cool Bryan finally stood up to her, but I'm sure next week it will be the same as it ever was.

FindingNamo
#485THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 11:29am

I love that Bryan is not only squeamish at the thought of vaginas but also doesn't want to touch the pillow that was held over Barry Bostwick's prodigious and clothed crotch.

Clearly, Murphy knows he has painted himself into a corner with the Barkin character and is using her less and less.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#486THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 11:56am

Andrew with Adam Driver and Alex Karpovsky in the People 'Guys of Girls' shoot.

THE New Normal

Updated On: 11/21/12 at 11:56 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#487THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 12:16pm

THE New Normal

FindingNamo
#488THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 1:03pm

I guess the tide of ageism is turning in the gay community.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#489THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 1:10pm

THE New Normal

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#490THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 3:16pm

I did like seeing Barry Bostwick, although I can't really imagine a world where he and Jackie Hoffman are married.

EricMontreal22
#491THE New Normal
Posted: 11/21/12 at 3:45pm

"What a weird episode. I was rendered speechless by the Nene meets Nutty Professor part. As usual, things sunk as low as humanly possible as soon as Ellen Barkin came in. It was cool Bryan finally stood up to her, but I'm sure next week it will be the same as it ever was. "

I swear, as soon as the episode was over I had completely blocked out that Nutty Professor scene. Wow. And they really do seem to be continuing this weird almost friendship of Rocky and Nana, but it makes zero sense--why would she be somewhat nice and helptful to Nana of all people?

The episode just seemed odd--they've had people behave worse on the show before and not had to send them all home. Why invite everyone over, and go on about how family is messed up but they want them there anyway, to then just decide everyone has to leave.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#492THE New Normal
Posted: 11/26/12 at 10:02pm

I just watched tomorrow's episode (it aired here tonight in Canada) and thought it was one of the better episodes. Spoilers ahead: Both Barkin & Leakes don't appear which might explain why it was more heartwarming. The episode deals with Bryan & David finding out the sex of the baby and Goldie discovering what she wants to do with her future (in a touching ending moment).

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#493THE New Normal
Posted: 11/27/12 at 10:16pm

All this fretting about the boy baby who was going obviously going to spring from the womb reinforcing every gender stereotype there ever was and neither of these gay dads considered for a second the might have a gay kid? A Bryan gay, not a David gay, that is. Or even a straight kid who wasn't into sports?

It was weird when Bryan said, "I want to have the same connection that you have with our child" since that connection is based on only the fact that the kid is allegedly a boy and that David likes sports.

Also, I think they'll have a girl and that doctor really meant that women were the better sex.

Also also, I think Goldie will make a fine seamstress and won't have to get all that schooling she was going to need (law school, college, high school/GED) to be a lawyer.

And also, I thought David was gonna be mad about the room at the end because he had a sour look on his face that I guess was supposed to be wonder.

FindingNamo
#494THE New Normal
Posted: 11/27/12 at 10:50pm

That's the last one I am going to watch. I appreciate that it was a reboot pilot for a show told from the straighter gay guy's point of view about his flamboyant partner and their family of choice. I liked that it had no insufferable grandma. But I can't enable the pseudo-profundity ("Political correctness has gone too far! Hasn't it just?!!?") by giving it my viewership, no matter how radical Emily Nussbaum thinks it is. Farewell, The New Normal, I've given you too much of my time already.

EricMontreal22
#495THE New Normal
Posted: 11/27/12 at 11:20pm

I thought he was going to be mad at the room at the end too--that did not look like pleased joy to me.

I thought we were supposed to assume that until it was brought up in the pilot, David didn't really expect to have kids in his life?

To defend poor Nussbaum, she never said New Normal was radical--and she implied that Murphy thought it was but it only is in theory--she pretty much dumps on the show (though I can't wrap my head around her finding Nana's orgasm heartwarming, or whatever...)

I know the show plays in extremes, but the friends of mine who have had kids, never seemed to secretly hope to have either a boy or a girl. *shrug*I'm glad the boys liked Bryan's pizza (he had an hour, and he's filthy rich--couldn't hew just have ordered in some instead of fretting about ingredients? I guess not).

EricMontreal22
#496THE New Normal
Posted: 11/27/12 at 11:26pm

I also found it odd that Goldie seemed far more upset at this sudden realization that she didn't want to be a lawyer (why did she in the first place), than the fact that her elementary school kid was suspended.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#497THE New Normal
Posted: 11/28/12 at 2:35pm

That's the last one I am going to watch.

Ditto. I'm done with this show. I really tried, but Little Miss Sunshine is the only bearable element to this schizophrenic mess and if she weren't such a blatant rip-off, I might have tried to power through the rest of the season. But I can't subject myself any more to this awful awful awful awful crappy terrible show.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

FindingNamo
#498THE New Normal
Posted: 11/28/12 at 3:05pm

"But Murphy is also a pioneer and a radical, worthy of our respect ..."

I don't know how you got what you got out of what Nussbaum wrote, Eric, but that's what she wrote.

#499THE New Normal
Posted: 11/28/12 at 3:06pm

Apparently, the Japanese found "Lavern & Shirley" so bizarre that on Japanese TV they would preface each episode with "This is a story about two women who have just escaped from a mental hospital." It went on to be a big hit that way.

If they are going to continue plot lines like this (Gay dad fusses he won't be able to relate to straight son and is jealous of his partner's much closer relationship with their fetus) they need to start each episode with "This is how alien beings think gay people behave on planet earth."