pixeltracker

A Christmas Story: "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"?

A Christmas Story: "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#1A Christmas Story: "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"?
Posted: 11/19/12 at 1:38pm

Does anyone know why this was left off the mass release of the recording? It appears to have been on the release for the tour, but isn't present on the current version. Was disappointed to see it absent when I got the recording after seeing the show (which I seem to have liked more than most).

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

leefowler
#2A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/19/12 at 2:03pm

That song was added last year, after the recording was made.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

beaemma
#2A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/19/12 at 2:13pm

I saw the show just to fill a Sunday evening and was surprised at how much I liked it. The staging (including "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out") and the terrific cast made up for any weaknesses as far as I was concerned. Of course, the score can't compare to Irving Berlin; but, as holiday entertainment, I much preferred it to WHITE CHRISTMAS.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#3A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/19/12 at 2:37pm

It was recorded. It's listed on CastAlbums.org and was in the press release. I also found a sample of it on a google search. It sounds a bit different than what's on Broadway, but was recorded.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/19/12 at 2:44pm

It is for sure on the recording they were selling on tour. I have it and it's on mine. I have no idea why they left it off the wide release if that's what you want to call it.

They recorded too soon though. There's a bunch of changes, some cut songs, a different opening number and a re-ordering of some songs and none of that is reflected on the CD. I hate it when the cast recording doesn't represent the final version of the show.

Elf has a new opening number this year too and that won't get recorded either. In fact, both White Christmas and the Madison Square Garden Christmas Carol made changes after recording cast albums as well, and none of those updates were ever preserved. (Except a few bits that wound up on the Christmas Carol TV soundtrack.) What is it with Christmas shows recording their cast albums and then continuing to make changes? It's a little annoying.

Updated On: 11/19/12 at 02:44 PM

NotYourMemories Profile Photo
NotYourMemories
#5A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/19/12 at 5:02pm

There is a song called "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" on the cast album but it's nothing like the number in the current Broadway production. I think the recording was made during the 2010 Seattle run and the current version of the tune was added for the 2011 tour.

CATSNYrevival
#6A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/19/12 at 5:17pm

^That makes a lot more sense if it's a completely different song. But then, the opening number is different too, but I guess they needed something to serve as an opening number on the CD.

Updated On: 11/19/12 at 05:17 PM

CATSNYrevival
#7A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/21/12 at 4:08pm

Another question: why did they bother cutting "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" from the CD, but not also cut "Kid at Christmas" and move "Sticky Situation" to the second act since those changes were also made? Why did they acknowledge one change and not the others?

Updated On: 11/21/12 at 04:08 PM

NotYourMemories Profile Photo
NotYourMemories
#8A Christmas Story:
Posted: 11/21/12 at 9:01pm

It's not a matter of anyone having decided to cut or remove songs. The CD was recorded in Seattle in 2010 and reflects the show as it was at that time.

It would be great if they would record the new version of "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" as it's certainly a highlight of the current version of the show.

Videos