HERE LIES LOVE Previews

chrisampm2
#50HERE LIES LOVE Previews
Posted: 4/23/13 at 3:37pm

Would someone who's seen the show please let me know who the production stage manager is and whether there's a list of songs in the playbill?

Thanks.

#51HERE LIES LOVE Previews
Posted: 4/26/13 at 7:30pm

No song list --- but I saw it last Saturday...that said Passing Strange never had a song list until it went to B'way.

Production Stage Manager is listed as Alaina Taylor
Stage Manager is Kelly Ice

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#52HERE LIES LOVE Previews
Posted: 4/26/13 at 11:11pm

Just a heads up, they are selling student rush, in advance. I got tickets today for June 1st. $30 each, one per ID.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#53HERE LIES LOVE Previews
Posted: 4/26/13 at 11:24pm

Thanks for the ups, Wicked. Did you have a GA/seating choice?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

WiCkEDrOcKS
#54HERE LIES LOVE Previews
Posted: 4/26/13 at 11:28pm

No seating "choice" per se, but he was kind enough to let me know that the performance I originally chose only had the "balcony/box" seats left, so I changed my date, because I really wanted to see the show on the floor.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#55HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 4/27/13 at 8:35am

Patrick Healy is reporting today that the show has been extended through June 30. So get your tickets now!

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#56HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 5/14/13 at 2:10am

I'm kinda interested in seeing this now that it's extended again. I saw on the web site though that there are gunshots used in the show. My sister and I are a little squeamish about gunshots. Are there a lot in the show?

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#57HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/1/13 at 10:40pm

Finally got to see this today and I was absolutely blown away by it. It's incredibly entertaining from beginning to end, it has one of the more unique scores in recent years (also one of the better scores as well), it's got a great cast, and it's ultimately insightful and touching in very unexpected ways.

Ruthie Ann Miles is absolutely fantastic as Marcos and the rest of the supporting players are all excellent. The energy this cast has is pretty astonishing. The design work is great (the lighting in particular is absolutely stunning, beautiful costumes as well) and the direction is seamless. You certainly move around a lot, but you never miss a beat and there were only a few moments when I couldn't see. But it's not like you're constantly shoulder-to-shoulder with people. You can certainly move around a bit until you can find a spot that has a clearer view of the stage.

Between this and FAR FROM HEAVEN, I am very optimistic about the future of new American musicals lately. Both knocked my socks off, in wildly different ways. HERE LIES LOVE is incredibly fresh, unique, and captivating theater that should not be missed by any theater lover. I had a blast and hope there is a future for it somewhere. I'd really love the opportunity to see it again!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#58HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/1/13 at 11:21pm

I also saw the show today, and I agree with you 100 percent. Just an astounding production. It really kept me guessing! I'm sure I looked like an idiot doing those disco moves, but it sure was fun!

AntV
#59HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/2/13 at 4:19am

To NYUrickydrummer or anyone else who can answer,

How were those $30 obstructed seats? And were you able to just join the general admission crowd on the floor? Thanks!

After Eight
#60HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/2/13 at 8:16am

I was reasonably entertained by it. The songs were catchy, the cast excellent, the staging full of vitality. As many have remarked here, it's really Evita light, a routine, paint-by-numbers bio, lacking both in-depth characterizations and a sharp and distinctive point of view. It also wanes a bit as the evening waxes.

As for the whole nightclub thing, it's all really just a stunt that adds nothing at all artistically. When you come down to it, with restaging, the show could be presented just as well in a regular theatre, and one wouldn't have to stand for 90 minutes, or be herded like cattle in a pen.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#61HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/2/13 at 8:36am

I agree with After Eight that it could be staged conventionally, and if the show went to Broadway, I think that would be the best way to go. I just can't see a thousand people wanting to stand for almost an hour and a half and move around. Not to mention the logistics nightmare of herding that many people to make way for the shifting stage. But was it fun to be part of the crowd? For me it was! And to be so close to the action, standing next to the performers or even being videotaped with them as part of the "news feed," really added to my experience of the show.

Also, about the gun shots: Yes, there is a brief segment in which loud shots are heard, but it didn't last very long.

Updated On: 6/2/13 at 08:36 AM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#62HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/2/13 at 10:39am

Could the list of songs be divined from those on the concept album?
Maybe someone who's seen the show could cut and paste:

Disc one

"Here Lies Love"
"Every Drop Of Rain"
"You'll Be Taken Care Of"
"The Rose of Tacloban"
"How Are You?"
"A Perfect Hand"
"Eleven Days"
"When She Passed By"
"Walk Like a Woman"
"Don't You Agree?"
"Pretty Face"
"Ladies in Blue"

Disc two

"Dancing Together"
"Men Will Do Anything"
"The Whole Man"
"Never So Big"
"Please Don't"
"American Troglodyte"
"Solano Avenue"
"Order 1081"
"Seven Years"
"Why Don't You Love Me?"

Updated On: 6/2/13 at 10:39 AM

AntV
#63HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/30/13 at 1:39am

When they rip your ticket as you walk in they tell you either left (general admission) or right (balcony, $30 obstructed seats.) If you're in the latter and don't want to be, you can just go to the left. Worked for me tonight. Though they might see you do it if you walk in without a crowd, but if you walk in when everyone begins walking in, I doubt they will notice.

Ruthie was out and on for her was Jaygee Macapugay who played Imelda in a different Imelda Marcos musical from 2009.

Also, I'm pretty sure Maria Thayer was in the audience tonight. Updated On: 6/30/13 at 01:39 AM

ARTc
#64HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 6/30/13 at 1:51am

Evita light...

Wow. I thought it a far more realized evening of theater than either the original Broadway or the more recent revival productions of Evita. I remember leaving the original Evita feeling completely let down and wondering why Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice would write a show that dramatically happened almost completely off-stage. I thought the original direction (Harold Prince) and choreography (Larry Fuller) dull and completely uninspired. Patti LuPone was amazing.

Here Lies Love was so much more exciting and alive and emotionally engaging for me. AND, a ton more fun. I thought the staging innovative and provocative and absolutely connected to the arc the creative team was trying to make. Being at the rallies and events and interacting with the company forced me to confront my willingness to go along with what was clearly becoming a horrific situation. I liked being that challenged.

I loved, Here Lies Love, and thought it by far the superior show to Evita.

AND, Theater God, I hope they don't move this to a traditional proscenium and lose its immersive nature. That would be a tragedy.

Updated On: 6/30/13 at 01:51 AM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#65HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 7/25/13 at 6:59pm

Hey guys,
I am finally seeing Here Lies Love this weekend. This is probably a silly question, but do they give you Playbills before the show starts? I wonder if people would start letting go of them as the show goes on.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Wildcard
#66HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 7/25/13 at 7:09pm

They give Playbills out at the end of the show as you exit

AntV
#67HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 7/25/13 at 11:40pm

Did the playbill ever have a color cover? Does anyone who went early in the run know?

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#68HERE LIES LOVE extended again
Posted: 7/25/13 at 11:44pm

Wildcard, thanks for letting me know about the Playbills. I kind of like to know who is who (there is no listing on the Public website), but I don't think giving out the Playbills beforehand would work well. The only other time I remember getting the Playbill afterwards was after sitting on stage at Spring Awakening. Are there other shows that have done this?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Videos