Song of Spiderman

ZiggyCringe
#1Song of Spiderman
Posted: 11/8/13 at 11:38pm

I could not put this book down. Glen Berger's account of this show was fascinating. It's a huge lesson in collaboration, in the vagaries of musical theatre production, and a darned good yarn.

Although I saw the show, it really made me want to see it again. I thought the author was both very kind to his collaborators, and also honest about the realities of collaboration in that kind of commercial arena.

Kudos, Mr. Berger, it's a terrific book that stuck me to my sofa all day.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Song of Spiderman
Posted: 11/8/13 at 11:40pm

Finished it last night. I also could not put it down. The funny thing though is that it really didn't have anything shocking that wasn't already disclosed in some way shape or forum through Reidl or message board/ blog posts. The part I can't get out of my head was Taymour unleashing her rage on poor America Olivo.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2Song of Spiderman
Posted: 12/22/13 at 1:23pm

I am halfway through it. It really connects some of the dots. I had expected a harsher attitude towards Taymore and am glad that isn't the case. He is a bit dramatic at times but that is fine. I too now want to see the show again. I saw it after the "second" opening and really wish I had seen it in the beginning. So far, a good read.

Just give the world Love.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#3Song of Spiderman
Posted: 12/22/13 at 11:37pm

After finally seeing the show, which I enjoyed for the most part, I bought the book and real thought it was incredible. What a crazy and fascinating story! Written super well and I was so sad when it ended. Hoping for a part two when they "re-work" the show for Vegas. (God knows how that'll go...)

theCucumberSandwich
#4Song of Spiderman
Posted: 12/23/13 at 5:32am

Agreed. An absolutely fascinating read. I felt bad for Taymor until the America Olivo incident. That sounded totally crazy and un-called for.
Massive kudos to Berger for his honesty, insight and level-headedness.
And of course, his sense of humour!

Videos