The Realistic Joneses

AndrewAndrew Profile Photo
AndrewAndrew
#125The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 4/10/14 at 2:17am

@FishermanBob

We feel the exact same way. There should be more adventurous new projects that make it to Broadway, not just film adaptations. We loved the show and would recommend it to any true fan of the theatre. All involved with this production should be proud of their work.
Also, you might be interested in our interview with Mr. Eno; link below.

PS> All the best to you and your fiancee!

Will Eno Interview Updated On: 4/10/14 at 02:17 AM

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#126The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 4/10/14 at 3:48am

^ Thanks for your kind wishes. I know we'll be very happy together once I find the right time to let her know.

Hate to admit it, but I actually have started to look forward to watching your reviews. Kind of a guilty pleasure. But then I loved Rock of Ages so what do I know.

PJPan
#127The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:50am

I always appreciate original plays making it to Broadway, as I tend to feel they have more to prove than the endless adaptations of musicals funded by major producers. I really wanted to like this play, I really did.

The one-liners were entertaining, but to me felt kind of apropos of nothing, which I guess might be the point. I really didn't feel any emotion, any connection to anything besides Toni Collette (who among a strong ensemble, stood out as incredibly realistic in tone and delivery). If nothing else, it has made me want to read more Will Eno to see if I can get a better indication of his style - and I'm always okay with theater leading me to more theater.

jas1234
#128The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 4/16/14 at 9:42am

My two-three cents: thought it was a moving and very funny play and I had never experienced a Will Eno play. So I came in not particularly knowledgeable about his unique voice--and was happily surprised. It's not your typical linear kind of play-- but unconventional and if you go with it, I think you'll have a rewarding evening. The cast was superb-- I wonder how the Tony nominations will treat them since all the actors are billed above the title.

PJPan
#129The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:05pm

jas1234 - I can see them all eligible for Leading, similar to God of Carnage. To me, it felt that all had comparible amounts of stagetime.

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#130The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:25pm

I saw the show last night and I really liked the show. I have never seen a Will Eno show and after seeing this I would see his other shows. The rapid pace and one-liners gave the show a fresh feel. The show also felt like it is accessible while alienating the audience. The performances were really wonderful especially Michael C. Hall. When he was on stage I wanted to see what his character will say or do next. All in all it was a very entertaining show!

craig238
#131The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:05pm

Ditto times two (me and my wife) - but this reply was not meant for the post above me. It was meant for an earlier post that said this was an endurance test - not much of a reviewer but this was not good !!!

Updated On: 4/16/14 at 08:05 PM

Ravzie
#132The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 5/8/14 at 6:42pm

I saw this show 5/7. I enjoyed it, but I believe it would have been dreadfull in less skilled hands. The fine delivery by all 4 stars made it funny, sad, interesting, thought provoking and a reflection of life in American households. I admit to being a big MCH fan, so you have full disclosure: I say he did a great job, but he made those Dodge commercials fascinating to me. Don't go expecting to see a play like every other play.