pixeltracker

Appropriate - Signature - reviews

Appropriate - Signature - reviews

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#1Appropriate - Signature - reviews
Posted: 2/25/14 at 10:54pm

Saw this tonight. Pretty sure it was the first preview so I'll be gentle.

It's in the Griffin, which is one of the smaller theatres so I was not expecting much in the way of set but it is HUGE. Very well done.

The play itself is something we have all seen before many times over, twisted up with some serious racism issues. It is rarely boring but there are many moments of "been there, done that". We have shades of everything from August: Osage County, to Who's Afraid of V.W., to the Old Friends, Dividing the Estate, and even Other Deaert Cities.

It is basically this: put a bunch of assholes In a room and have them scream at each other for two and a half hours (there is an intermission).

I don't want to comment too much on the performances because it was a first preview, but things were somewhat shaky and one actor called for line. They will a improve, I hope.

The script............hmmmmmmm........I just don't know. It's a new-"ish" playwright so I don't want to say anything too negative but the dialogue is a bit clunky and the narrative, as previously noted, is derivative of other plays.

I will tell you this:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler begins now:

The last few minutes of the play are really, really cool. It supports a ghost story that never really happened, but the special effects are creepy and awesome.

Anyway, as I always say, Signature is just $25 so I always support them. I would hesitantly recommend this just because it is not boring and hopefully it will improve.

Updated On: 2/25/14 at 10:54 PM

stevenycguy
#2Appropriate - Signature - reviews
Posted: 2/28/14 at 11:57pm

Unfortunately, there has been no improvement in the past few days. Running at 2 hours 27 minutes, it's quite boring, amateurish, dull and very repetitive. The acting is mostly one-dimensional (screaming, putting your hands to your face to show anger, more screaming, etc). I didn't believe any of these characters for one second. Quite a few empty seats after intermission. The last 30 seconds of special effects are fun to watch, but the 2 hours 26 minutes that precede it are pretty painful. This feels like the first draft of a play and it needs substantial cuts/editing and much better direction (to eliminate the one-dimensional acting).

On the other hand, I'd highly recommend The Open House across the hall at the same theater complex. This is theater of the absurd with an excellent talented cast, and is a fun dysfunctional family drama. This is what professional NYC theater is.

Updated On: 3/1/14 at 11:57 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#2Appropriate - Signature - reviews
Posted: 3/1/14 at 9:56am

I love what this play is about and Jacobs-Jenkins's bravery and ambitiousness in taking it on. There are some excellent moments in the writing and the play, though far from satisfactory, is better than the production. With all its faults, I came away thinking there are the bones of what might have been a very important play. Jacobs-Jenkins is an important voice on race and history. I suspect that a highly sensitive dramaturge could be the key to taking the script much further on the path to becoming the play it needs to be; a play I would very much like to see.

The cast is uneven (the best: the kids - especially Mike Faist as Rhys - and Maddie Corman as Rachel, Sonya Harum has some fine moments as River). Michael Laurence's Bo is far less successful. The talented Johanna Day fails to effectively balance Aunt Toni's stridency and watching her becomes torturous. The script offers her and the director golden moments to modulate and make us care enough about her (particularly when, slinking in to the lounge chair, she drunkenly beseeches Bo to tell her what ever happened to her life). Those moments don't arrive. The play has a few moments that simply lack credibility (including, without giving too much away : Bo's strange conclusions about River's background, River's being surprised by something that we have been led to believe she knew all along about Franz (good work from Patch Darragh)).

The first daylight lighting is oppressive and continues for about a half hour (I can't remember my eyes ever hurting so much in a theater).

The paranormal and metaphorical ghosts have critical management issues.

btw the title? Is it the adjective or the verb? Either way, not working.
Updated On: 3/1/14 at 09:56 AM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#3Appropriate - Signature - reviews
Posted: 3/1/14 at 11:12am

Matt, you might want to change your subject line from Reviews to Previews. The show hasn't opened yet. Just an idea!

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#4Appropriate - Signature - reviews
Posted: 3/9/14 at 11:36pm

Saw this 2nite: 3/9 & found it to be one of the BEST things I have seen at Signature in a while. Deep, rich, substantial production getting a solid production rich in so many ways. Developed at Sundance Institute & the recipient of the Tennessee Williams award, I recommend this for anyone seeking a good play representing a new young playwright.