pixeltracker

Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#1Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 9:16am

With the Tony's being tonight I thought this would be a great place to post thoughts, upsets, observations, etc. Rant all you like!

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#2Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 10:06am

Just saw a promo on CBS. It said that LL Cool J and TI are performing. Has that been announced? If so, I missed it. I thought they were just presenting. I assume they're performing from Holler If You Hear Me.

Depaultheatrekid Profile Photo
Depaultheatrekid
#2Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 10:36am

LL Cool J was mentioned as a presenter, didn't know they were performing. Also, Idina Menzel will indeed be performing Always Starting Over from If/Then!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 11:02am

I'm annoyed that Best Score is being presented during the commercials.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#4Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 11:11am

^^^^^ THIS!

I wish they did every category during the regular broadcast, but especially awards as "big" as Best Score and Best Choreography!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#5Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 12:18pm

Does anyone know if the red carpet is broadcast on television? If so, what channel/time?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#6Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 12:28pm

Given how many shows will be performing, the practical mind can understand why the producers are in a bind with the amount of time they have for the broadcast. And if the shows paying for airtime are all accommodated (and I see little reason why they shouldn't be if they want to - more performances, the merrier as far as I'm concerned) it's a conundrum. In many cases, the Tony Performance will be an iconic representation of a given show for all those who don't get to see a production. It's worth it to many producers to put on a number. And the Wing surely is happy to rent out time on the show. There might come a time when the Tonys resemble the Grammys: mostly musical numbers with awards interspersed. While that very well could be a cause for concern as far as the honor of receiving an award on national television is concerned, it's at least a very good sign regarding the health of the Broadway musical. Either way, we aren't at that point yet.

If I may go out on a limb, and possibly poke a beehive, seeing as this isn't the first time Best Score has been relegated to a commercial break if I recall correctly, I suspect there might be a shade of anti-BRIDGES paranoia considering it's likely the only award BRIDGES will take tonight.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

LegallyBroadway2
#7Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 12:32pm

to anyone that has gone before- what is a good time to get a good spot for the Times Square for the simulcast?

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#8Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 2:11pm

Well said, jnb. It's an interesting trade-off.

And I agree about Bridges and the Best Score Award. Last year it was in the broadcast I feel because of Lauper's nomination. Similar to the 2009 awards when Elton John and Dolly Parton ("mainstream" celebrities I guess you could say) were nominated. But then Kitt and Yorkey got the win!

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#9Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 2:21pm

Here comes a new rant: Why is the official Tony web site still using the out-of-date term "actress"? I realize that the public still does it, but the Tony awards should be given to male and female "actors," not to "actors" (i.e., the real thing) and "actresses" (the female version).

I've refused to use the term "chairman" for years, substituting "chair" or "chairperson." I really thought that Broadway was leading the charge against "actress," but without the Tony Awards on board, this bit of sexism won't disappear.

For those who shrug and say "Who cares?" if the default is male there won't be true equality. The basketball teams at my alma mater are the Terps and the Lady Terps. Does anyone want to argue that a "stewardess" has the same connotation as a "steward?" If an executor and executrix are the same, why use two words? And, God forbid, if you refer to me as a "Jewess," I'll have some choice words for you. (Of course, if you refer to me as "a Jew," I might also have some choice words, depending on the context.)

End of rant. Good luck to all the nominees, including those in the categories of best actor and the female kind.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#10Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 2:23pm

All I need is for Danny and Linda win for Cabaret and for Act one to win best play and set design and then i'm good!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 2:36pm

"Does anyone know if the red carpet is broadcast on television? If so, what channel/time?"

If you live around NYC, NY1 has the red carpet coverage, it starts at 6pm.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#12Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 3:59pm

Is the NY1 Red Carpet being streamed anywhere other than the NY1 website? I'm not a Time Warner customer.

I remember last year it definitely WAS live-streamed on another site and I was able to see it. Can't find anything on it this year.

EDIT: Apparently it will be available at 6pm according to

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/tonynight/guide.html

Red Carpet
Presented by Audemars Piguet

See the stars arrive at Radio City Music Hall!
Live webcast begins at 6:00 p.m. ET
Video and interviews courtesy NY1 News.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 6/8/14 at 03:59 PM

Tink2 Profile Photo
Tink2
#13Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 4:21pm

I get NY1 on Brighthouse cable here in FL. Yes! The Tony Red Carpet is listed in my online guide at 6PM.

BWW says we can watch The Red Carpet live on this site at 5PM.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Its-Tony-Sunday-Your-Guide-to-ALL-About-the-2014-Tony-Awards-20140608#.U5TEoShFvV8

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#14Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 7:44pm

And Beautiful takes Sound Design! (Oooohhh. Aaaahhhh)

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#15Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 7:46pm

And just 15 minutes people...

Sutton Ross
#16Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 7:47pm

Kelli looks beautiful!!

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#17Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 7:51pm

Luminous.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#18Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 7:51pm

^ I'm rooting for her!! I kinda hope Bridges wins everything it's nominated for so everyone will be like: "Damn, I'm an idiot for missing that!"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 7:53pm

I really hope for a Kelli upset too.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#20Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread

Yay JRB for orchestrations!!!

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

broadfan327
#21Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread

If you object to actress, why stop there. Shouldn't there just be best actor, and male and females can compete against each other? That would be the true equality you are searching for,

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#22Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/8/14 at 7:54pm

Glad Rocky won scenic design

Sutton Ross
#23Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread

YES!!!! How wonderful for Bridges of Madison County and JRB for his Tony win!

Updated On: 6/8/14 at 07:54 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#24Official 2013 - 2014 Tony Awards Thread

Ya....no one's going to say that. People like me will be right there saying: "Nope, my loss! Two and a half hours of my life I'll never get back..."