La Jolla Playhouse Seating

Phan#24601 Profile Photo
Phan#24601
#1La Jolla Playhouse Seating
Posted: 9/13/14 at 4:51pm

What is the seating situation at the La Jolla Playhouse? I have not been able to access a seating chart anywhere on the mobile website, and have never been. Also, how are the seats in Area 2? Some of people in my party, myself included, might be interested in the 30 & under seating, but we would like to know more about the area in which those seats are. Thanks in advance for all your help!

My biggest pet peeve right now is when people pronounce it "Marry-us" and not "Mah-ree-us".

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2La Jolla Playhouse Seating
Posted: 9/13/14 at 5:11pm

It's kind of like modern movie theater seating. There's no center aisle, under 500 seats and it's all one section. They may section it off on the tickets and on the seating chart but it's really just one section that slopes upward toward the back of the house. I believe area two is the last two rows. There's no mezz or balcony and there aren't any bad seats except maybe on the extreme sides.

Updated On: 9/13/14 at 05:11 PM

Phan#24601 Profile Photo
Phan#24601
#2La Jolla Playhouse Seating
Posted: 9/13/14 at 5:23pm

Ok thanks so much! I will take that into consideration when trying to get tickets.

My biggest pet peeve right now is when people pronounce it "Marry-us" and not "Mah-ree-us".

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#3La Jolla Playhouse Seating
Posted: 9/14/14 at 1:31am

They use 3 different theaters at the La Jolla Playhouse. So what is discussed is true of the largest of the theaters, The Mendall Weiss Theater. If you are searching for tickets to Hunchback it is in the large theatre. There really isn't a bad seat in the house. I've sat in the back row, near one of the aisles and the view is fine. We often sit row M or further back ( because my group frequently changes tickets) and I've never missed a thing.

If you are looking for tickets in the other two theaters, there are sight line issues on the far sides of the Forum Theater and the Potiker has a few configurations, but most commonly is a proscenium set up. In that set-up the seats on the upper, side rails are what I'd call partial views.

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#4La Jolla Playhouse Seating
Posted: 9/14/14 at 2:41am

It's a beautiful theatre and there really are no bad seats. If you want to save money, a cheaper ticket really won't make much of a difference in terms of the viewing experience.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.