pixeltracker

Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises- Page 3

Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#50Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/20/14 at 9:59pm

I listed my surprises earlier, and after wracking my brain I thought of one "disappointment". I saw Alison Cimmet as Puffer in Drood. She was perfectly pleasant in the role, but suffered the problem of "not Chita". It was clear that the part was staged to be performed by a legend. Her big entrance was met with more or less silence.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

binau Profile Photo
binau
#51Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 4:16am

"Yeah, no--The topic is obviously about understudies, not merely Taking Loud Personal Offense For Cast Being Out. "

It really isn't that obvious. The thread clearly has two components, 1. Biggest disappointments, AND 2., Biggest surprises (from the topic title and original post). For example, the original post listed two disappointments and one surprise. The two disappointments weren't followed up with any indication they were surprised by the understudy, just disappointed that the star was out.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#52Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 10:16am

I'm going back MANY years: but Tony Orlando was brought in to cover for Jim Dale during Barnum (to cover his honeymoon, if I remember correctly). I remember very specifically thinking: I simply can't fathom that Dale couldn't possibly have been better. I WAS only 17 and at my 2nd or maybe 3rd broadway show, but the memory lives on.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jwsel
#53Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 2:36pm

I think I've generally been very lucky over the years because I can only think of a single disappointment -- Gabrielle McClinton in for Patina Miller in Pippin. Part of the disappointment was that I had been waiting months to see Pippin during a trip to New York and had watched a lot of Miller's videos. McClinton was good, but she just didn't seem as fluid a dancer as the role required and lacked the presence that I expected.

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#54Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 2:47pm

^ Patina Miller was actually quite rigid in her dancing compared to the other LPs. That worked for her portrayal because she was cold, calculating, and cynical. Ariana DeBose was extremely fluid on the other hand, which worked for her because she portrayed the LP closer to how Ben Vereen did it (trying to be friendly to Pippin.)

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

jwsel
#55Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 3:09pm

^ I wonder if we are describing the same thing. I get the sense you are describing choreography choices that were made for the role, whereas I'm describing more generally what the performer seemed capable of doing. Miller seems to have the flexibility and movement in her hips that McClintock lacked. It felt like McClintock was struggling at times and just felt "stiff." Having seen videos of Patina doing Magic to Do, On the Right Track, or the Manson Trio from Glory, I never get the sense that she is struggling with the Fosse-inspired choreography (or the actual Fosse choreo from Manson Trio). By comparison, especially during the Manson Trio, McClintock just was not close to the same level as the ensemble members and looked like she was working hard just to keep up.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#56Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 3:13pm

I saw Ariana DeBose’s first performance as LP a few months ago and she was absolutely brilliant. She sang to Jesus and made her much more human than Patina. During the finale, she didn’t immediately flip out at the cast and the pianist, but it was a slow burn before falling apart when she said “And no magic?!”

#1CarrieFan
#57Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 4:33pm

Also years ago, our second viewing of Sunset Boulevard at the Minskoff, after the first act, Glenn came out on stage and said she would be unable to go on in the second act. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name of her understudy for that performance (around Christmas time), but the actress was PHENOMENAL. I "get it" that tourists can be very disappointed if a star is not coming on at that performance, but those of us lucky enough to frequent Broadway, I give a loud shoutout to the alternates and understudies for their dedication putting their heart and soul into the show.

Visceral_Fella
#58Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 5:06pm

I saw Natalie Cortez when Karen Olivo was out of West Side Story, and Karen was the reason I went to see the show so I was really disappointed. As the show went on Cortez surprised the hell out of me. She was really great. She played the role much tougher than Karen Olivo which made the vulnerability in the rape scene much more heartbreaking.

Updated On: 9/21/14 at 05:06 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#59Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 5:07pm

"McClintock "

I also think I saw McClintock and I agree there was something off about her dancing - I don't know much about dancing, so from a lay man's perspective the way I'd describe it was less 'sharp' than I would have expected. Also, she seems quite young and I think a sinister-ness that I assume Patina had in the role was a bit lost. That said, I still very much enjoyed it.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/21/14 at 05:07 PM

broadwayfan1995
#60Understudies:biggest disappointments/best surprises
Posted: 9/21/14 at 6:57pm

I absolutely LOVED Aaron Walpole as Valjean.