pixeltracker

Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?- Page 2

Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#25Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?
Posted: 9/21/14 at 3:27am

"The Circle Of Life is so incredibly well-done and overwhelming that the rest of the show simply doesn't compare, and left me pretty bored, to be honest."

This is probably one of the most common things I heard about Lion King.

Lion King is more creative in terms of certain visual aspects and costumes, but Beauty and the Beast is a visually stunning show as well. If I had to pick one, definitely Beauty and the Beast. The show is full of "Disney magic," and I left the theater with a smile on my face. I know that sounds cheesy, but just my two cents.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#26Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?
Posted: 9/21/14 at 8:59am

"I do think that there was really no reason for either to be stage shows, and the movies can readily be watched and enjoyed"

This might be blasphemy, but I actually have always considered the original broadway show of BEAUTY to be better than the Movie. The characters are more fleshed out, the objects have more of an urgency, and the beautiful acting of Susan Egan and Terrance Mann really is the tops for me. It was such a beautiful show.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#27Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?
Posted: 9/21/14 at 3:45pm

Well, to answer your question, I have often wished that The Lion King would close and a revival of Beauty and the Beast would take its place at the Minskoff.

So...Beauty and the Beast.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

#1CarrieFan
#28Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?
Posted: 9/21/14 at 4:03pm

Having seen both original productions of there Disney shows, I'm going to go with the show that my niece and nephews enjoyed the most. Although the three of them saw it when they were a little bit younger (obviously), BATB gets it hands down. The thrill I received from watching their reactions to one of the first shows they had seen on Broadway, I was an extremely happy uncle walking out of the Palace. Be My Guest has got to be one of the most exciting numbers in my Broadway experiences, as is The Circle of Life in the King. Don't even get me started on Tarzan and The Little Mermaid- dreadful! Much to my dismay, I've had to leave the East coast and return to the Pacific Northwest and am now blind and on dialysis. If there were any way I could return to visit Broadway, I would do a red-eye with my niece and nephews to see Disney's Frozen when it arrives on stage. I am excited about Hunchback.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?
Posted: 9/21/14 at 5:08pm

There is no actual answer, only individual preference.

Personally, I've always like LK better. I've never been a fan of plopping the movie on stage. I prefer the different take that LK provides.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#30Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?
Posted: 9/21/14 at 7:16pm

Just curious, was anyone able to see the show with Susan Egan ( the original belle)? This thread has given me inspiration to take a trip down memory lane and I just love her on the recording. She has such a distinctive voice..and the videos I have seen of her playing Belle are just beautiful. What an actress!
Updated On: 9/21/14 at 07:16 PM

degrassifan
#31Which is/was better on Broadway: Lion King or Beauty and the Beast?
Posted: 9/21/14 at 9:14pm

"Personally, I've always like LK better. I've never been a fan of plopping the movie on stage. I prefer the different take that LK provides."

I saw Lion King last year, and the dialogue in the show was pretty much word-for-word the dialogue from the film, so they essentially plopped the film on stage as well.