Homosexual Love Songs?

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#25Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 8:40am

As a gay man, I guess I sort of "resent" the idea that gays have to have their own "special" love songs -- as if our love is somehow supposed to be totally different from the love that has been expressed for years in songs.

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#26Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 9:42am

Patash, I'm not referring to the fact that songs have to be gay when sung, but merely that in the context of the show they are.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#27Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:06pm

Are the two people who run your account homosexual?

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#28Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:25pm

I concur with those who say they're offended by the idea that gay people need their own love songs. ANY song can be a love song. After all, isn't love a universal experience? It doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, bi, trans, questioning or whatever. That's the beauty of music.

My all time favorite LOVE songs are:

"Happiness" from "Passion"
"Loving You" from "Passion"
"All I Ask of You" from "The Phantom of the Opera"
"I'll Cover You" from "Rent" (had a straight cousin play this at his wedding-the sentiment is gorgeous)
"One Hand, One Heart" from "West Side Story"
"Married" from "Cabaret"-a gorgeous, gorgeous love song with such simplicity and beauty

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#29Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:12pm

I agree with the notion that "gay love songs" shouldn't be pushed into their own category, but I don't think the OP was trying to imply that they should. I think they were merely asking which songs in musicals feature a gay couple in the context of the show. As unfortunate as it is, there are not a lot of shows out there featuring a same-sex couple with their own song, hence why it's even necessary to think up examples in the first place.

I'm sure, with time, this will become less of an issue as more and more homosexual romances start appearing as naturally in shows as the straight ones do.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 10/2/14 at 01:12 PM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#30Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:14pm

Frankly, I think rather than sticking so firmly to labels for things like songs, we should focus on the commonality of experiences and feelings. Those are what make us truly human (and we all are). Theater should serve to unite rather than separate.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#31Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:17pm

^ I wholeheartedly agree. I'm saying that the general community is growing more accepting of different sexualities, so it won't be long before a "gay song" is common enough to not be thought of as a separate entity.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#32Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:21pm

THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED...from ROADSHOW...am I the only person who likes this song?...jeez...:)

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#33Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:27pm

"THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED...from ROADSHOW...am I the only person who likes this song?...jeez...:)"

I think it was the best song in the show...

There was an AIDS-themed musical out in LA in the early to mid-90s called ALL THAT HE WAS. There was a really great duet in it called "Our First Christmas"...

There was a cast recording made, but I believe it is long out of print.

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 01:27 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#34Homosexual Love Duets?
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:49pm

I love THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED.

I love the entire score!

There were some little revues that Stephen Dolginoff wrote awhile ago about the gay experience.

Most Men Are
One Foot Out the Door

....but the world goes 'round