pixeltracker

Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE "mini tour"- Page 2

Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE "mini tour"

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#25Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/14/15 at 5:12pm

Found out it's playing Philadelphia w Holliday in April.

I'll be def heading down to see, I think seeing Holliday singing "Hell No" will be worth it regardless, I'm just curious on thoughts from those that have seen it....I don't see much besides mic issues and bad audience

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#26Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/14/15 at 5:36pm

A bit more information (and video footage) from the producer (assuming this Philadelphia stop is a re-mount of the recent mini-tour.) Looking forward to checking out Holliday in the role :)

http://www.johnruffin.com/#!CASTING-FOR-THE-FALL-TOUR-OF-THE-COLOR-PURPLE/c112t/55AC7F4F-FBA7-449B-8786-03AF6053DF54

and via his YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95Fn0K0rXk

jimmycurry01
#27Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/14/15 at 7:51pm

That is definitely an unattractive production design.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#28Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/15/15 at 1:44am

That is some high school production value right there...

Visceral_Fella
#29Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/15/15 at 5:07pm

I didn't know it was John Ruffin. He's literally terrible, and his shows are trash. He does these really low rent church audience based shows with no value, but lots of adlibs, neck rolling, unauthorized revisions to the script. His shows make Tyler perrys touring productions look like tony award wining shows. He is really appealing to a certain audience, and making a crap ton of money off of them and their (ignorance is a harsh word, but you get my drift). It's kind of sad, but he's working his hustle well. I just wish it wasn't at the expense of theatre.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#30Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/15/15 at 6:11pm

And Kev and I will have a blast at it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/15/15 at 7:24pm

Is that Sofia singing the opening number as a solo while the Church Ladies stand awkwardly off to the side?

Did Jenny demand additional songs or something?

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#32Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:15pm

Unless you can get these comped, this tour isn't worth paying cash dollar for... Even with JHoll as Sophia.

I'm waiting for the Fall Broadway remount-revival of CP with Jennifer Hudson. I think a scaled-back, more intimate version of this show could work very, very well.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#33Jennifer Holliday Will Play Sofia In THE COLOR PURPLE
Posted: 3/15/15 at 10:35pm

I think watching JHolliday telling Harpo to pass the peas will be worth the probably after discounts the $15 it'll cost.

Videos