Discount ticket strategies

broadwaysfguy
#1Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 1/31/15 at 10:18am

Hi all

With prices going ever upward, would love to hear the best strategies for getting discount tickets for the 2015 broadway season, especially those that you can purchase in advance.

Only make it to Broadway 2 times a year, love close orchestra, and prefer to have tix in advance to see the best shows. Often purchasing single ticket.

Any and all suggestions, incuding annual membership options, are welcome.
(example-planning on seeing 9 shows in six days from April 28-may 3 next time up)

thanks so much in advance!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 1/31/15 at 12:55pm

Hard to have a strategy without knowing the shows, but there is certainly enough info on here to sort out a plan of attack.

But you're sort of picking a time when some struggling shows may be closed, some new ones will have opened, and how all of that affects discount/rush is still TBD.

The best thing to sort out is probably which shows you want to see and plop them on the most popular days, like a Friday or Saturday night, when most other shows are less likely to offer discounts, etc., and then start building out from there.

You've already started off poorly, though, if you are booking a trip for after JCM is in Hedwig. I'd move the whole thing up for him alone. Discount ticket strategies Updated On: 1/31/15 at 12:55 PM

broadwaysfguy
#2Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 1/31/15 at 6:17pm

thanks for your message

particularly looking for any annual memberships that offer discounts on most or all shows, or other places where shows dump online discounts(like goldstar except I like to pick my exact seat)

from getting on the ticket sites, seems like LOTS of demand for King and I and on the 2oth century based on starpower of actors, most other shows seem pretty wide open for tix so hoping to get discounts.

saw neil patrick pre-tonys for hedwig which was awesome. Sure JCM is off the charts
shows planning on seeing so far include
For sure

fun home(such a great soundtrack and story)
King and I (duh)
something rotten(could be a risk wo having done an out of town first-love the concept)
It shoulda been you-im all in here!
Finding neverland-mixed out of towns, going for laura michelle, matthew and Kelsey
An American in paris-all in..some the best dancing ever in movie musical
On the twentieth century-peter and Kristin..duh...
Honeymoon in vegas (if still playing) love lots of the songs huge MRB fan and saw last bridges show and talked with MRB at intermission a very emotional day and show!

thinking about:
Dr Zhivago(concerns about mixed previews)
Gigi(think this would be nice, not in love with songs, story outdated
On the town (the shows sounds great overall, not in love with songs)
The Visit(seeing last Kandor Ebb show/Chita intriguing concerned about prev. reviews)

will also see BOM sunday night unless someone has an awesome off broadway recommendation

Am I missing any spring musicals, or is this the complete roster of announced and possible shows???

9 shows six days, getting fired up!!!

love this group, especially the members with positive attitudes and amazing theatre knowledge.

Its great to have so many different opinions and still respect others loves and passions, even if they are super different.....

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#3Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 1/31/15 at 6:45pm

If you want to pick your exact seat, that rules out rush, lotteries, as well as Goldstar, TodayTix, TDF, Theatermania Gold Club, Student Rush, and Theater Extras... so, that means you're mainly looking at discount codes. Those will be on broadwaybox.com as well as the discounts page on theatermania.

I would guess, from your list, King and I is probably the least likely to have a discount. Also, for On the 20th Century, I bought early only because Roundabout often gives good discounts early, so I got front row, aisle, side orchestra, so even if they always have discounts, they often move that to rear orchestra later in the run... and even when seats are open last minute, the discount code doesn't work on them.

If any of those is going to be a hard ticket to get, it is hard to tell... but since you want to pick your seats, discount codes are typically going to be the same % now and then, so if you can lock in a good seat early, I'd go for it. Some shows may still be aggressive about seating, hoping people will pay for premium and full-price, so hold on those, but if you can get a great discounted seat for others, lock'm in.

Seems like you are all musicals, but although I didn't see it off-Broadway, Hand To God and Fish in the Dark are the plays I am most looking forward to this season.

broadwaysfguy
#4Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 1/31/15 at 6:51pm

very helpful and much gratitude
I also found nytix.com which had discount codes for many ticketmaster shows

i love theatre
AND
I live for musicals, so when i get to NY its musicals only

thanks again so much(im not big on aerobics either!)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#5Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 1/31/15 at 7:19pm

nytix just seems to charge you for the same codes that are free elsewhere, btw.

bwaybarbie2
#6Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 2/4/15 at 11:38am

todaytix rocks, here is my code ROZXB

bwaybarbie2
#7Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:13am

Todaytix is a great source, but prob should use for about one or two tickets depending on how many people you can get to use your 20$ code. Mine is ROZXB.

Other shows you can rush for. Like Honeymoon in Vegas. Literally no one was standing in line to rush tickets when I went, so I just stood in line for about 10 minutes until it was 10 am and got two orchestra seats for super cheap. If you go to broadwayforbrokepeople.com you can see all the shows that are doing rush tickets.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#8Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 2/10/15 at 12:34pm

Do some comparison shopping. As haterobics suggests, a lot of codes are identical and individual merchants (like nytix.com or TodayTix) will charge you needless fees you can avoid by finding the code yourself and delivering it directly to the Box Office when you're here. If you're already looking to discount, you're likely aware of how silly it is to rack up avoidable fees.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#9Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 2/10/15 at 6:05pm

Haterobics covered most of this already, but here is my spin:

Most discount strategies involve some degree of inconvenience and/or uncertainty. After all, if discounts were that easy to get, producers wouldn't be able to pay the bills!

For someone in your position, who comes into the city a couple of times a year, likes to pick his or her own seats, prefers close orchestra, and wants to book in advance, discount codes are probably the best way to go (as previous posters have suggested).

Another good idea for you might be to join Lincoln Center Theater for The King and I discounts, although I don't know how many good seats would be left at this point.

My usual bottom-feeding methods include:

1) TDF (you can't pick your seat location, plus you have to be a member)
2) Rushing (very uncertain, not able to book in advance)
3) Lotteries (ditto)
4) TKTS booth (uncertain, and not able to book in advance. Also, it's not all that cheap)
5) Special promotional deals (a case-by-case basis, usually involves waiting on line at an ungodly hour)

Enjoy your trip and have fun!

Updated On: 2/10/15 at 06:05 PM

cooltu
#10Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 2/11/15 at 12:13am

Today Tix is great use my code TAJPD

lightguy06222
#11Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:25am

i used to do the same thing, and now i live in NYC, see 80-100 shows per year, and tend to not pay over $40 per ticket.

Do your research, plan as MUCH as you can in advance, but be OPEN to seeing whatever comes your way!

www.broadwayforbrokepeople.com

www.studentrush.org

playbill also has all the off broadway rush listings.

you can see ALOT. be open and receptive!

lightguy06222
#12Discount ticket strategies
Posted: 2/11/15 at 9:27am

MCC does $30 under 30. so does MCC

playwrights has great discounts.

Videos