pixeltracker

What would you cross OFF this list?- Page 2

What would you cross OFF this list?

ZannaDo
#25What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 4:00am

Yeah, Honeymoon (beyond being uninspired and boring) is pretty offensive to a lot of POC and women I know who saw it, including myself, so take that into account, OP, if you're sensitive to that kind of thing.

Don't miss On the Town, it was an absolutely beautiful revival and the definition of golden age, feel good Broadway perfection.

Updated On: 3/7/15 at 04:00 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#26What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 5:56am

The interest in GIGI baffles me, but I don't grasp the appeal.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

After Eight
#27What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 7:08am

Based on what I've seen, I'd say cross off

Fun Home- Appalling, miserable, and stomach-turning. Unquestionably one of the worst things I've ever endured in a theatre.
Honeymoon in Vegas- Junk.
Skylight- I saw the original production. An excruciating bore.

I hope you enjoy whatever you see.

After Eight
#28What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 7:25am

"What passes for musicals nowadays"

Ain't that the truth.

The poor musical. It deserves so much better.

And poor audiences. So do we!

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#29What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 9:03am

Of those I've seen--

ON THE TOWN was absolutely thrilling. Why would anyone evaluate a musical's worth starting with "aside from the dancing"?? The whole point of the evening is the dancing, which is jaw-droppingly great.

CURIOUS INCIDENT is the most dazzling play you'll see on broadway this year. Not necessarily depthful, but by God is it a full-on theatrical experience.

THE AUDIENCE is less a play than a lecture. Static, inert, a parade of scenes with 2 actors sitting in chairs talking politely (or impolitely). The fact that Helen Mirren is one of the actors is lovely but not enough to justify the 2 1/2 hours.

THE HEIDI CHRONICLES. It's beyond me why anyone thought this play merited a revival. Elizabeth Moss is swell but she's on the periphery of most scenes. A caricature-filled snooze.

Shows we've got tickets for in the next month (reports to come):
THE VISIT
HEDWIG (with JCM)
AN AMERICAN IN PARIS
DR ZHIVAGO
ON THE 20TH CENTURY

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#30What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 1:36pm

"The interest in GIGI baffles me, but I don't grasp the appeal."

Honestly, I've never figured out why people don't love Gigi. It's such a charming movie with excellent music, beautiful visuals, and a fine cast. The accusations of misogyny are valid, but the character of Gigi is very headstrong and choses her own destiny instead of going along with her family's plan. Also, though more clear in the novel than the movie, Gigi's aunt is a courtesan and is raising Gigi to be one.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 3:43pm

Here are the 8 from your list I'D see first. And the * are the shows I am MOST excited about.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time*
Dr. Zhivago
Fun Home*
Hand to God*
Heidi Chronicles
The King and I*
Something Rotten*
The Visit*

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 8:53pm

Of the shows I have seen I suggest:

Curious Incident (A must see. Don't wait!)
On the Town (Glorious, in my opinion)
Honeymoon in Vegas (Just a great/fun evening. Not sure what people are finding offensive)

Shows yet to open that are tops on my list to see:
The Visit
Hand To God
An American In Paris
Something Rotten

Just give the world Love.

ZannaDo
#33What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 8:58pm

"Not sure what people are finding offensive"

Are you a POC? I found "Friki Friki" to be lazy humor that plays of a racist, outdated stereotype of non-casucasian Americans being unable to speak English, and that it mocked pidgin language in an unnecessary way. How can Ugg-A-Wug need to be removed from Peter Pan but that number is completely acceptable?

Beyond the fact that women being used as currency onstage in 2015 is baffling. Whether or not you personally find it offensive, there is nothing outlandish or absurd about others finding it so. Maybe it's a difference of perspective, but there's no need to invalidate the fair criticisms levied at the show.

But all that aside, even if I felt NONE of those things, I just didn't think the show was...good. The humor wasn't really inventive or unique at all, it just felt like retreads of the same punchlines we've heard a million times before, same re: the score. Brown can do better and has.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#34What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 9:08pm

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Honeymoon in Vegas. I was talking about Gigi.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#35What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 9:11pm

Definitely cross Honeymoon in Vegas off your list with a thick, dark, permanent marker. By far the worst of the five that i have seen so far.

I didn't really enjoy Fun Home all that much, so i would cross that off the list next, but many others have enjoyed it, and it was not offensive, unlike Honeymoon in Vegas, so that one is more up to interpretation.

I enjoyed Curious Incident and suggest keeping that one. I also enjoyed the dancing and some of the score of On The Town. I would also suggest keeping The King and I because of Kelli O'Hara (and the R&H score, of course!).

Looking forward to seeing a lot of the shows opening this spring in some upcoming visits.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#36What would you cross OFF this list?
Posted: 3/7/15 at 9:15pm

I think The King and I is a must-see, and I don't think anybody will be telling you to cross it off your list.